I refuse to diet.

Options
I have tried a few diets in the past two years that were proven unsuccessful. Unfortunately, I am a binge eater and although I can give up certain foods for a certain period of time, I cannot guarantee myself I will be able to stop myself from binging once the diet's off. I just don't have that kind of control. I lack the willpower, so I have decided to stop dieting and just watch my portion sizes in order to prevent another binge on sweets and so on. I don't enjoy processed foods. I hate sodas and fast food. I mainly eat home made dishes. Here's my meal plan:

Breakfast: Cold cuts (~50 grams of ham, ~30-50 grams of cheese, 1 tomato, a cup of cucumber, coffee with 1,5% milk or tea)
Lunch: 1 fruit, usually soup (200 ml of any soup! they're delicious) and a small slice of bread with jam as desert
Dinner: Meat, pasta, salad... it's usually something spontaneous. Dinner is the most important meal of the day because that's the only time we can eat in family. Dinner is a social thing and so is preparing it, so every day we have a different dish.

I don't usually snack because I don't feel hungry between meals, but if I do I'll usually have a piece of fruit (I LOVE fruits! I hate diets that forbid them!), a big carrot or some yogurt.
As for my sweet cravings? I usually have two small biscuit sandwiches with chocolate, rum or vanilla flavored cream. I try to buy portion sized sweets. That makes it easier for me not to overindulge.
I only have 10 pounds to lose, so will I be able to lose them eating like this? (I'm 5'1 and weigh around 126-128) The diets I've tried were really strict and although I was able to slim down, I kept sabotaging myself. I don't want that to happen anymore.

Replies

• bgarganera
    bgarganera Posts: 22
    Options
    Track Your Calories/ Flexible Dieting and yes you will be able to eat those foods you love (in moderation) and lose those last 10 lbs.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You are aware that this is a calorie-counting website?
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Once you get out of the mindset of 'dieting' and get in to one where you are having a healthy lifestyle you will find it a lot easier, people say to me what diet are you on and I always reply none. There's nothing that I'm eating at the moment that i wouldn't be happy to spend the rest of my life enjoying every day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you looked into the reasons why you binge?

99% of people who binge are basically eating their feelings. if you address the emotional problems behind the binge you're a lot less likely to do it.
  • diaowl
    diaowl Posts: 33
    Options

Yes, I am. I'm hoping counting calories will help. I've never tried it before, so I'm a little skeptical. I've become a little paranoid because of all of the diet books and weightloss articles I've read claiming that "counting calories" is not effective and to eat that and not that... I guess I just need a few pieces of advice, or someone to assure me that it is okay to eat whatever I please as long as it fits my macros.

Sorry if this post is pointless. I just have a lot of doubts and worries.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a little worried about your goal weight - it seems really low.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Yes, I am. I'm hoping counting calories will help. I've never tried it before, so I'm a little skeptical. I've become a little paranoid because of all of the diet books and weightloss articles I've read claiming that "counting calories" is not effective and to eat that and not that... I guess I just need a few pieces of advice, or someone to assure me that it is okay to eat whatever I please as long as it fits my macros.

Do it. Try it for two months. There are many diets available out there. This one is easy to follow -- it is just math and the site does the math for you.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Track Your Calories/ Flexible Dieting and yes you will be able to eat those foods you love (in moderation) and lose those last 10 lbs.

This.

I've lost 60lbs doing flexible dieting. I can eat whatever I want as long as I plan it out.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options

No worries. What will happen is that, after making a determination of the goals you wish to attain, you'll record your foods daily, record any physical changes such as weight or measurements regularly, observe whether the food choices are helping you achieve your original goals and then modify your choices based on those observations.

You will become more aware of your eating habits. Maybe you need more veg, more fluids. Some items you may choose to keep, some you may choose to save for certain occasions and some you may wish to have in smaller or even larger amounts. It's simply a tool. You may find you like it. :smile:
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options

i think its perfect actually. she is only 5'1 tall so i can imagine that she is not happy with her current weight of 128. thats my weight and im 5'6, and not super skinny.

a lot of good advice already in this thread. if you hate the idea of dieting then dont diet. dont deprive yourself of certain foods or food groups. eat everything you want within your calorie goal, so you just have to plan ahead a bit. weigh all your food and exercise. with only 10lbs to lose it will go a lot slower than when you have a lot to lose. when i got down to the last 6-7lbs i stayed at the same weight for 3 weeks..
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options

This would really depend on a person's frame. I am 5'8" and weighed 135 for the majority of my life without exercise, 125 with. It is really hard to tell whether a person would be under/over a low weight unless you knew their structure.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

99% of people who binge are basically eating their feelings. if you address the emotional problems behind the binge you're a lot less likely to do it.

^^^ I disagree about 99%....... while of course the above is common. everyone seems to forget that binge eating is a normal survival response to eating too little. (there are other possible causes, but this is a major one) People get trapped in a cycle of excessive restriction followed by binge eating, and try to fix it with more restriction. IMO this needs to be addressed, and the person needs to be eating enough calories in their daily diet to prevent this kind of rebound overeating/binge eating before they tackle any emotional issues related to binge eating. Even if there are emotional issues to be addressed, they're on a hiding to nothing if their attempts to address them are constantly thwarted by a normal physiological survival response kicking in making them binge eat.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

^^^ I disagree about 99%....... while of course the above is common. everyone seems to forget that binge eating is a normal survival response to eating too little. (there are other possible causes, but this is a major one) People get trapped in a cycle of excessive restriction followed by binge eating, and try to fix it with more restriction. IMO this needs to be addressed, and the person needs to be eating enough calories in their daily diet to prevent this kind of rebound overeating/binge eating before they tackle any emotional issues related to binge eating. Even if there are emotional issues to be addressed, they're on a hiding to nothing if their attempts to address them are constantly thwarted by a normal physiological survival response kicking in making them binge eat.

true. i was just thinking in general, not in those who were trying to lose weight and restricting calories.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    So thinking about the food plan you shared, have you checked how many calories that provides you with? How does that compare with the number you should eat for a reasonable deficit?
  • diaowl
    diaowl Posts: 33
    Options
    Wow! I didn't think so many people would reply to this thread! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it!
    I feel more confident about my choices. I'm not rushing to lose weight, so I won't mind if it takes a whole year to reach my goal. As long as I'm losing fat and inches, I'll be happy.
    So thinking about the food plan you shared, have you checked how many calories that provides you with? How does that compare with the number you should eat for a reasonable deficit?

Yup! Breakfast + Lunch (and often snacks) are around 600 - 800 calories. I usually get the remaining calories at dinner since it's a much heartier meal. According to this site, to maintain my weight I need 1600 calories a day. With this plan, I get around 1200 - 1300 calories a day. I hope it's enough for my weightloss.

I have a question though. If I happen to have a very active day (I walk for about 3-4 hours a day on weekends), can I eat my extra calories from exercising and still lose weight?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't think so many people would reply to this thread! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I really appreciate it!
    I feel more confident about my choices. I'm not rushing to lose weight, so I won't mind if it takes a whole year to reach my goal. As long as I'm losing fat and inches, I'll be happy.

Yup! Breakfast + Lunch (and often snacks) are around 600 - 800 calories. I usually get the remaining calories at dinner since it's a much heartier meal. According to this site, to maintain my weight I need 1600 calories a day. With this plan, I get around 1200 - 1300 calories a day. I hope it's enough for my weightloss.

I have a question though. If I happen to have a very active day (I walk for about 3-4 hours a day on weekends), can I eat my extra calories from exercising and still lose weight?

Yes MFP is set up so you do eat those calories back to fuel your next workout.

The deficit is already built into the calories you have been allotted. Esp at 1200-1300 make sure you eat enough so you net 1200 min.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    As long as I'm losing fat and inches, I'll be happy.

the easiest way to do this is to add some strength/resistance training to your exercise regime.
  • Marlena0708
    Marlena0708 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few diets in the past two years that were proven unsuccessful. Unfortunately, I am a binge eater and although I can give up certain foods for a certain period of time, I cannot guarantee myself I will be able to stop myself from binging once the diet's off. I just don't have that kind of control. I lack the willpower, so I have decided to stop dieting and just watch my portion sizes in order to prevent another binge on sweets and so on. I don't enjoy processed foods. I hate sodas and fast food. I mainly eat home made dishes. Here's my meal plan:

Breakfast: Cold cuts (~50 grams of ham, ~30-50 grams of cheese, 1 tomato, a cup of cucumber, coffee with 1,5% milk or tea)
    Lunch: 1 fruit, usually soup (200 ml of any soup! they're delicious) and a small slice of bread with jam as desert
    Dinner: Meat, pasta, salad... it's usually something spontaneous. Dinner is the most important meal of the day because that's the only time we can eat in family. Dinner is a social thing and so is preparing it, so every day we have a different dish.

I don't usually snack because I don't feel hungry between meals, but if I do I'll usually have a piece of fruit (I LOVE fruits! I hate diets that forbid them!), a big carrot or some yogurt.
    As for my sweet cravings? I usually have two small biscuit sandwiches with chocolate, rum or vanilla flavored cream. I try to buy portion sized sweets. That makes it easier for me not to overindulge.
    I only have 10 pounds to lose, so will I be able to lose them eating like this? (I'm 5'1 and weigh around 126-128) The diets I've tried were really strict and although I was able to slim down, I kept sabotaging myself. I don't want that to happen anymore.

Yes, you absolutely can lose those 10 pounds without being on a "diet". I'm not on a diet and am losing weight just fine. If I want fruit, I eat fruit. If I want steak and eggs, I eat steak and eggs. If I want Subway, I eat Subway. No particular food is forbidden. What is forbidden is going over my self-imposed calorie limit. I also try to hit my protein macro (114g a day) because I don't want to lose muscle so I also strength train. I'm one of those "skinny fat" people - 5'7" ~130 lbs - and a lot of that 130 lbs is around my jiggly middle.

Long story short, I've lost about 9 lbs in the last 6 weeks and I'm not on a "diet". I eat what I want, but I plan it, weigh it, log it. A lot of times I fill out my food log at the beginning of the day and that is my roadmap for the day, so to speak. I decide what, where and how much I will eat that day. It's a plan, not a diet.

And YES, the MFP app absolutely has helped me tremendously. I think it will help you, too.