How do you log marinades?

Options
jackx18
jackx18 Posts: 4 Member
Hi. I was considering putting some chicken in a marinade in the morning and then baking or grilling it that night. I generally through out most of the marinade when I cook the meat. Do you log the calories for all of the marinade? Thanks.

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    For marinades, I typically log about 1-2 tablespoons per piece of meat.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I usually do log the whole marinade however I suppose that is not very accurate. Maybe log half of all the ingredients?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have on numerous occasions weighed the marinade before I put it on the meat, and then when I take the meat out weigh the leftover marinade, and have found that the difference is so negligible that I don't bother to log it anymore - I mean if only 1-2 grams of marniade stays on the meat (the whole 1-2 pounds of meat seriously only 1-5 grams of marinade actually stays on/in the meat). If you're going to cook down the marinade to use as a sauce after then count it but otherwise, nah.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I did 3 tbsp for the one I used last night. It was only 25 cal per tbsp, so it's not like it'd make or break my day.
  • jackx18
    jackx18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure how big of an impact it really was.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the marinade. If you're using one that's oil based or includes wine/beer, you may want to count some of it as that will add calories. But if it's a marinade that's mostly condiments and spices with negligible calories (mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, chili powder, etc) - unless you're watching sodium intake, I wouldn't bother logging it
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I put the marinade in the recipe maker and gauge how much I use per piece after they've been cooked and put that as serving size. I find for a basic oil/herb/vinager marinade I use 2-3 TBSP per piece while grilling. That being said some drips off and some burns off but I'd rather over compensate a bit.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I log it pre-cooking. I will measure out how many tablespoons I'm going to use on my food scale, and log that in my recipe maker.
    At least with the ones I use, I'd rather overlog than underlog, so I don't weigh it afterwards. Calorie wise, they aren't to bad per serving, so I don't mind.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I log a tablespoon or two. No harm in overestimating calories.

*waits for someone to come with starvation mode myths*
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I log a couple of tablespoons unless I eat a significant amount of it. Then I log what I ate.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I used to log all the marinade, but then I realized that most of the time I was throwing it all away. Now it depends on the kind of marinade. If the meat is just going to sit in it before I cook it, I usually don't bother to log it at all. However, if I'm making a sauce of some sort to put over it after, then I'll usually choose a similar sauce already in the database and log one or two T of it. However, not logging your marinade isn't likely to affect much of anything.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is actually a great question! :) oil-based marinades, for sure, but only about an ounce.
  • shellieyounger
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Great job on the weight lost