If you feel tired and awful ALL the time, READ THIS!

13»

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Thank you for this! I know I need to start taking a multivitamin (with minerals too!). My diet lacks these things sometimes.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Flaxseeds are fun for the whole family.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing your story. I've been thinking of seeing my doc and getting a bunch of blood tests done to see if I have something going on with me. I'm always tired. In fact if sleeping was a sport I'd be a gold medalist at it. I workout a lot - usually an average of 30-60 min about 5 times a week and my weight hasn't been moving. I've even gained a few pounds. I need to look at my multivitamin to see if it has minerals in it. I do have some flax seed at home so I will try using it more in my breakfast to see if that helps.
    Thanks!

Have your doctor test your TSH with the other bloodwork. Low thyroid levels can cause those symptoms too. I went undiagnosed with Graves Disease for at least 10 years. None of the doctors that saw me put it together. If it wasn't for my trying to get pregnant and seeing an OB/GYN, I would still not be diagnosed.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    This hits close to home. I had to have surgery on my eyelids, because I have ocular rosacea and it cause a blockage in my glands. The doctor told me to consider taking fish oil and flaxseed oil to help with eye dryness. I've been taking them for about 4 months now and not only have I not had a recurrence of my rosacea, I've felt amazing. Much happier and focused. I think it's due to the Omega-3's, but whatever it is, it's great!
  • kscott2008
    kscott2008 Posts: 8 Member
    Interesting....your post described me to a T, you listed every single symptom and yet i'm always told it's related to my anxiety issue or depression...even when i'm not really feeling anxious/depressed inside. I may just have to check this out, thanks for the info! Maybe it's not my problem, but...you never know!

This!
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    This is awesome! So happy for you!
  • JuliesZenpuppy7400
    JuliesZenpuppy7400 Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you for posting this!!! I went and looked at my multivitamin after reading and found that it did NOT have manganese or magnesium and a lot of other vitamins I NEED. I have always struggled with lethargy, depression and just plain unmotivated. Especially when I'm really tired. So, upon reading this I went to the store and bought a new multivitamin and also some calcium/magnesium/zinc. Hoping to be feeling better soon!! It's at least worth a try : )) Thanks again!!!!
  • migdalp
    migdalp Posts: 50 Member
    pumpkin seeds have a lot of magnesium in them I eat them whenever I feel low on energy

i LOVE PUMPKIN SEEDS!!
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    This sounds like issues I have been dealing with . . . I'll have to check with my Dr.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Not sure that I quite agree with your conclusion. I think you should seek to correct deficiencies through your diet, if possible.

My doctor advised taking the supplement for a period of time while slowly adding foods to my diet that are rich in magnesium and manganese. The reason why I ended up that way was because none of those foods appeal to me, so I've been slowly incorporating ways to sneak them in, like flax seeds in soups and salads, spinach smoothies, etc. :)

Just to be clear, I'm not saying your actions were unreasonable, it sounds like you did exactly the right thing.

However, I think a more accurate moral of the story would have been "pay attention to your micronutrient intake" rather than "pay attention to your multivitamin."

I'm just being my normal nitpicky self :drinker:

As much as that is an nice idea...it is not made for everyone. You can't just have one size fits all! lol Our bodies are completely different and we all suppliment differently through diet/vits, even genetics will have a factor. Also some people like myself physically cannot absorb certain nutrients like a normal person (I have celiacs, crohns, and just recently found out i have abetaliproteinemia). My guts are a mess and I get mainly my nutrition through vits/suppliments. I have the unlucky when it came to the genetic family tree but at least I didn't get graves disease.
    Sometimes diet cannot solve everything.
  • montanadanni
    I love to hear this stuff! Just reminds us that our bodies are complex and we need to really pay attention to those signs. I am glad you found what was wrong:) good for you!

I had a lot of medical things go wrong with me and I didn't know what was wrong. I didn't give up and went through doctor after doctor till I found one who listened and helped. Way to be an advocate for your health:)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    as someone who has experience in this field, psychiatric diagnoses are often given out too soon. to the OP: i am so glad you listened to yourself and that you advocated for yourself. depression is most commonly a symptom, NOT the root disease. throwing a prescription for an antidepressant at you can make it worse, needless to say the root problem is going to continue to go untreated.

it would be very wise to have blood work done (metabolic panel/nutritional panel/hormone panel) before seeking a script for an antidepressent. the downside is that these tests can be expensive, and insurance often does not cover the cost of lab work.

i bet you anything though, if everyone that was on an antidepressent/antianxiety med had comprehensive blood work done and made lifestyle changes and/or received treatment as a result of any lab findings, a big majority of people would no longer need to be on psych meds.

but of course big pharma won't tell you that.

(and i work in healthcare.)

i am not marginalizing anyone who does suffer from depression/anxiety, because I'VE HAD IT TOO (and will always have "generalized anxiety disorder"). i'm just saying that people need to be educated. you are your own best advocate.
  • montanadanni
    as someone who has experience in this field, psychiatric diagnoses are often given out too soon. to the OP: i am so glad you listened to yourself and that you advocated for yourself. depression is most commonly a symptom, NOT the root disease. throwing a prescription for an antidepressant at you can make it worse, needless to say the root problem is going to continue to go untreated.

it would be very wise to have blood work done (metabolic panel/nutritional panel/hormone panel) before seeking a script for an antidepressent. the downside is that these tests can be expensive, and insurance often does not cover the cost of lab work.

i bet you anything though, if everyone that was on an antidepressent/antianxiety med had comprehensive blood work done and made lifestyle changes and/or received treatment as a result of any lab findings, a big majority of people would no longer need to be on psych meds.

but of course big pharma won't tell you that.

(and i work in healthcare.)

i am not marginalizing anyone who does suffer from depression/anxiety, because I'VE HAD IT TOO (and will always have "generalized anxiety disorder"). i'm just saying that people need to be educated. you are your own best advocate.

I couldn't have worded that better! I also work in healthcare as well as worked in a children psychiatric hospital. I am so glad you took the time to post this:)
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Thank you for posting your story. So glad you found what you needed. It takes a detective to figure out what is happening in our body at times. Maybe we need medical detectives....a specialty for people who "know" something is wrong and it's not depression or old age.

One question....was it whole flaxseeds that you had, or flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds). I ask because I think I've read that whole flaxseeds are pretty undigestible and the good omega-3 cant be absorbed unless the seeds are ground. Maybe the same applies to the manganese and magnesium but I don't know.

Just to point out the importance of eating a big variety of brightly colored fruits and veggies....that is where most of the vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients are found.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    I think everyone should be tested even if they feel fine because you never know what you could be missing.
  • cananimal
    cananimal Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks I feel that way most of the time....have been through all same tests and conclusions....I started magnesium a few months ago because I take a med that can deplete your ability to absorb magnesium, will look into the Manganese Thanks April
  • Thank you for posting your story. So glad you found what you needed. It takes a detective to figure out what is happening in our body at times. Maybe we need medical detectives....a specialty for people who "know" something is wrong and it's not depression or old age.

One question....was it whole flaxseeds that you had, or flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds). I ask because I think I've read that whole flaxseeds are pretty undigestible and the good omega-3 cant be absorbed unless the seeds are ground. Maybe the same applies to the manganese and magnesium but I don't know.

Just to point out the importance of eating a big variety of brightly colored fruits and veggies....that is where most of the vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients are found.

I read that too but I initially ate and continue to eat whole flax seeds. This works for me but everyone is different. :)

I love reading everyone's responses! I hope all of you who said that you're experiencing those same symptoms are able to find the answers you need and deserve. :)
  • Thanm you sharing this. It is indeed helpful; I suspect myself of being manganese deficient and you described some symptoms I have that are not listed elsewhere. I wanted to let you know that while I don't know much about flax seeds and manganese, oatmeal has almost entire daily value in one serving: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=77 So if flax seeds have mnganese too it may have been the combo that was so wonderful for you. Best wishes, and thanks again for sharing your experience.