Lawyer and mom of 3 under 6 looking for support

Options
kathym617
kathym617 Posts: 32 Member
I am Kathy, lawyer and mom of 3 (5.5, 4, and 3 months). I lost about 70 pounds of kid-weight between kids 2 and 3, finally getting back to my pre-kids weight. Then we decided to have a 3rd. I stayed healthy during the pregnancy, but the lack of structure to my time during my all-too-short maternity leave left me with far more to lose than I'd like. I am now back at work after kid #3 and looking to lose about 40 (embarrassingly, a combo of pregnancy weight and post-pregnancy weight). I joined MFP this week, as I know tracking is key to my success. I also know accountability is key for me, which is what brings me here in search of friends.

I work full-time and am super busy at home, but am a diligent tracker. I work out 4-5 days a week in the early a.m., before the kids get up. I ran before this baby and am trying to get back into running shape (I continued to run races up to about 6 months pregnant, but am now less fit than I was then (ugh), so it's slow going). I am currently running about an 11.5 minute mile, which reflects the fact that I have to periodically stop to walk for a minute. I'd like to be running 3 days a week and doing strength or circuit training the other 2 days.

Any of this strike a chord with anyone out there? I could use some buddies in this journey.

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am Kathy, lawyer and mom of 3 (5.5, 4, and 3 months). I lost about 70 pounds of kid-weight between kids 2 and 3, finally getting back to my pre-kids weight. Then we decided to have a 3rd. I stayed healthy during the pregnancy, but the lack of structure to my time during my all-too-short maternity leave left me with far more to lose than I'd like. I am now back at work after kid #3 and looking to lose about 40 (embarrassingly, a combo of pregnancy weight and post-pregnancy weight). I joined MFP this week, as I know tracking is key to my success. I also know accountability is key for me, which is what brings me here in search of friends.

I work full-time and am super busy at home, but am a diligent tracker. I work out 4-5 days a week in the early a.m., before the kids get up. I ran before this baby and am trying to get back into running shape (I continued to run races up to about 6 months pregnant, but am now less fit than I was then (ugh), so it's slow going). I am currently running about an 11.5 minute mile, which reflects the fact that I have to periodically stop to walk for a minute. I'd like to be running 3 days a week and doing strength or circuit training the other 2 days.

Any of this strike a chord with anyone out there? I could use some buddies in this journey.
    Lawyer huh?

Well, no advice from me as I would be afraid of slapping a frivolous lawsuit if it didnt work.

Goodluck.
  • pastybuns
    pastybuns Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi there Kathy, lovely to meet you and welcome to MFP!

Congratulations on your little bundles of joy! I can't imagine having two intense jobs simultaneously, props to you! I myself picked up running last year and have finally built myself up to running 5K. It's still not easy for me though. I hope to continue improving, maybe not in distance, but most definitely in speed. Shorter workouts lol.

I'm afraid we don't have too much in common - I have no kids and I am juggling college with a part-time code monkey job. If you'd like a not-so-similar buddy to cheerleader you along the way, don't be shy and feel free to add me as a friend. Otherwise, no offense taken, I promise!

At the very least I wanted to say hi and to wish you the best at your journey towards your healthiest self possible. Welcome and good luck! :D
  • newyorkmo
    newyorkmo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey there - definitely! i'm a mom of one toddler and work full time in academic medicine. i was super careful during my pregnancy with diet - was normal weight but developed gestational diabetes. i ended up only gaining 17 pounds during the pregnancy and then losing 35 after the birth! But then....while breastfeeding and on maternity leave, actually put on significant weight. Ugh! In the past 6 months, I've lost 37 pounds and am now maintaining. Juggling the more than full time work life with my awesome kid and husband, but it's a juggling act for sure! Your dedication to exercising in the early AM inspires me! Hang in there - together we can do this!
  • kathym617
    Options
    But then....while breastfeeding and on maternity leave, actually put on significant weight. Ugh! In the past 6 months, I've lost 37 pounds and am now maintaining.

I thought I was the only person who gained weight while breastfeeding and on maternity leave!

Congrats on the awesome loss!!!
  • 4kids24
    4kids24 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Kathy! My name is Kristin and I'm a mom of 4. My kids are a little older but I remember the busy early years well. My kids are 14, 13, 13, and 9. I am a physician assistant and work part time. I'm also a single mom. I am trying to lose at least 35 lbs. It would be great to share the journey with someone.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have good help at home -- cleaning, laundry, extra child care, . . . .?
    Changing a few things at home can help you meet your goals.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mum of 3 under 6 too. My son will be 5 on Mon, my eldest daughter turned 3 on May 12th, and my baby girl is 6 weeks today.

Like you, I lost loads after my 2nd, 66lbs. I logged and exercised through pregnancy but have still gained and reckon I need to lose about 30lbs.

I've been logging since she was 3.5 weeks and walking loads. I've got my 6 week check on Mon and will be back at the gym on Tues! I had a straightforward birth and no stitches, but I thought it was best to wait for proper exercise.

I'm only partially breastfeeding due to low supply, or I'd never be able to move from the sofa, which is kind of impossible with 2 older kids. My son goes to school (kids start at 4 in England) so I need to have him there for 8:45. My husband works shifts, so when he's on earlies I'm on my own getting 3 ready.

I'm a secondary school teacher, and in England we can have a year for maternity leave, so I wont be at work until mid March. I went off at 35 weeks, then my baby was 11 days late.
  • Emedina1987
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 under 2. My oldest will be two in three weeks. I don't work but my husband works over 50 hours a week as a safety manager and he is also finishing up a degree. We cannot afford extra help with the kids and we agreed that me staying home with the kids until they are school aged would be best for our family. My days are hectic, but getting easier. My youngest is almost 5 months old. I know how hard it can be to stay motivated while also being completely exhausted. I am almost finished with my second week of insanity and I see lots of changes in my body. I still have 9 or more pounds to lose before I will be happy with my weight. Just keep pushing yourself. We can all reach our goals if we set out minds to it. It looks like you are already doing a lot to reach your goals! Feel free to add me!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't have children (infertility! YAY) but I'm happy to add anyone who is looking for support. :smile:
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have a four year old and had lost the weight I had put on with her and more by the time she was 18months. However, soon after I lost the weight, I had a miscarriage and was unwell, which I found very traumatic and turned to food for comfort. So I piled on the weight. Since last April I have been trying to lose the weight. But at times I feel discouraged because I want to try for another baby soon and think 'what's the point, as I will only put the weight back on and will need to go through this again.'

Feel free to add me.

R
  • kathym617
    Options
    Hi Kathy! My name is Kristin and I'm a mom of 4. My kids are a little older but I remember the busy early years well. My kids are 14, 13, 13, and 9. I am a physician assistant and work part time. I'm also a single mom. I am trying to lose at least 35 lbs. It would be great to share the journey with someone.

Hi Kristin!

I can't imagine having 3 kids in under 2 years - those first few years must have been really tough! And doing it solo now must be super hard too. I'm psyched to share this journey with you!
  • kathym617
    Options
    Do you have good help at home -- cleaning, laundry, extra child care, . . . .?
    Changing a few things at home can help you meet your goals.

My husband (who also works full time) is a great partner and handles his share around the house. That said, we have no extra help (can't afford it), so mostly we have just been letting things (like tidying) slide. Not ideal, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to.
  • kathym617
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mum of 3 under 6 too. My son will be 5 on Mon, my eldest daughter turned 3 on May 12th, and my baby girl is 6 weeks today.

Like you, I lost loads after my 2nd, 66lbs. I logged and exercised through pregnancy but have still gained and reckon I need to lose about 30lbs.

I've been logging since she was 3.5 weeks and walking loads. I've got my 6 week check on Mon and will be back at the gym on Tues! I had a straightforward birth and no stitches, but I thought it was best to wait for proper exercise.

I'm only partially breastfeeding due to low supply, or I'd never be able to move from the sofa, which is kind of impossible with 2 older kids. My son goes to school (kids start at 4 in England) so I need to have him there for 8:45. My husband works shifts, so when he's on earlies I'm on my own getting 3 ready.

I'm a secondary school teacher, and in England we can have a year for maternity leave, so I wont be at work until mid March. I went off at 35 weeks, then my baby was 11 days late.

I am super jealous of your long leave :) With my older kids, I had six months, which is way longer than most here, but I'm in a new job now and they only give 12 weeks, and only partially paid.

I'll be cheering you on from across the pond!
  • kathym617
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 under 2. My oldest will be two in three weeks. I don't work but my husband works over 50 hours a week as a safety manager and he is also finishing up a degree. We cannot afford extra help with the kids and we agreed that me staying home with the kids until they are school aged would be best for our family. My days are hectic, but getting easier. My youngest is almost 5 months old. I know how hard it can be to stay motivated while also being completely exhausted. I am almost finished with my second week of insanity and I see lots of changes in my body. I still have 9 or more pounds to lose before I will be happy with my weight. Just keep pushing yourself. We can all reach our goals if we set out minds to it. It looks like you are already doing a lot to reach your goals! Feel free to add me!

How are you liking Insanity in the post-partum period? I did it before #3, but it was well after #2 was born (she was 2.5). I'm not sure how well I'd hold up now and would love to hear your thoughts. Right now, I'm running (much more slowly than before!) and doing some post-partum DVDs (right now, mostly Lindsay Brin).
  • kathym617
    Options
    I don't have children (infertility! YAY) but I'm happy to add anyone who is looking for support. :smile:

I'm sorry you've dealt with IF - that sucks. We definitely know how fortunate we are. My goddaughters were IVF babies, as their folks found out they have a 0% chance of conceiving without assistance. I know how hard it was on them.

Your weight loss to date is amazing and super inspiring. Congrats!!
  • kathym617
    Options
    Hi,

I have a four year old and had lost the weight I had put on with her and more by the time she was 18months. However, soon after I lost the weight, I had a miscarriage and was unwell, which I found very traumatic and turned to food for comfort. So I piled on the weight. Since last April I have been trying to lose the weight. But at times I feel discouraged because I want to try for another baby soon and think 'what's the point, as I will only put the weight back on and will need to go through this again.'

Feel free to add me.

R

I had a miscarriage before my firstborn and was an absolute mess. I gained a whole bunch of weight too. It's incredibly hard. I hear you on the discouragement when planning to get pregnant. I carried a bunch of extra weight between the first two kids, which I lost between 2 and 3. I wasn't at goal yet when we started trying for #3, but it took a lot longer than I hoped to conceive, so I was glad I stuck with it. Of course, here I am, having to lose the weight again, but it could be worse - I could have even more to lose!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    hey :) im a single mum to 3 aged 3, 5 and 7. i work from home full time.. i say full time i pretty much have no spare hours in my day lol. i own 4 businesses and am studying a degree in criminal psychology too. since having all 3 of mine i have gone up and down in weight... but this year im changing that. the weights just going down! today is day 99 of logging for me, ihave 88 lbs to go til my goal! :) add me :) x
  • NichelleHall
    NichelleHall Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you on your fitness journey :)
  • apeandjazz
    apeandjazz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy!
    Iam a Mother of one 10 month old daughter ,I was 128 at my 4 month dr app.then on labour day boom 175. then 3 months postpartum I was 140 then while BREASTFEEDING boom im at 153. I now relized with the help of myfitnesspal that I do not eat close to enough calories to feed my daughter(I still breastfeed) or I .You have to take into consideration the amount of calories you burn when breastfeeding (300 for feeding five times a day) plus I walk with her in stroller for 2 to 4 hours a day ,cleaning,ect So even when I try to eat a huge healthy breakfast as soon as I put breastfeeding in its burned and in the minus :( So im having a hard time loseing because I cant eat 1490 cal. So add me as a friend if you like :) and we can figure this out together ,take care
  • apeandjazz
    apeandjazz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After four misscarriges and told I was If ! I have a 10 month old babygirl healthy and beautiful. Never say never :)

I'm sorry you've dealt with IF - that sucks. We definitely know how fortunate we are. My goddaughters were IVF babies, as their folks found out they have a 0% chance of conceiving without assistance. I know how hard it was on them.

Your weight loss to date is amazing and super inspiring. Congrats!!