improving endurance without classical cardio

Options
Hi all,

I'm generally not a very fit person and am currently in a country where cardio possibilities are extremely limited, combined with bodily limitations (my feet/legs. I cannot run or jump). I want to become fit for some mountain hikes and while lunges, squats, etc do help somewhat my endurance doesn't improve. I also tried big bag boxing and HIIT type bodyweight exercise but this doesn't seem to be the type of endurance I'm after that helps me with walking up mountains, like spinning for examples does.

Would swimming be a possibility or is that the wrong kind of endurance training? I'm good with breast stroke but my crawling technique is terribly bad and I only manage about one 25m lap followed by 3 breast stroke laps, rinse and repeat. And I'd need to find a solution for protecting my head in over 45 C/ 113 F (that's shade temperature, the pool is in the sun). My slight niggle with swimming is that it mainly trains my upper body and not my legs as spinning does. But maybe that's not so important? What's your thought on this?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Your post has a lot of "buts" in it so I'm not sure you're really looking for help. Yes swimming would help, HIIT would help, If you have access to a computer, FitnessBlend has lots of routines as do a number of other web sites. brisk walking would help. If you want to improve, you will figure out a way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing. Find some bleachers (a stadium would be awesome) and do as many rows as you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bennysummerfield
    Options
    Jacqueline, I do try finding solutions! Fact unfortunately is: my limitations don't allow me to just go running or do jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc... Last time I did 5 consecutive days of week 2/30 day shred exercises (hey, I had to try, and lets be honest: It was quite easy) I could barely walk for two consecutive weeks because my feet can't deal with the strain. This unfortunately eliminates many HIIT exercises, as well as running up stairs or using a crosstrainer. That's why I'm asking for other solutions, swimming for example - and potentially some sun protection solution as it is a wee bit hot here :) Or any other type of exercise that might get me there.

Some other things that don't work:
    buying certain sports equipment: I have not seen spinning bikes or rowing machines.
    Cycling: the traffic is too dangerous and there are no cycle paths
    Joining a gym :( spinning lessons for women are during my working hours, and mixed gender workout is a big no here.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Jacqueline, I do try finding solutions! Fact unfortunately is: my limitations don't allow me to just go running or do jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc... Last time I did 5 consecutive days of week 2/30 day shred exercises (hey, I had to try, and lets be honest: It was quite easy) I could barely walk for two consecutive weeks because my feet can't deal with the strain. This unfortunately eliminates many HIIT exercises, as well as running up stairs or using a crosstrainer. That's why I'm asking for other solutions, swimming for example - and potentially some sun protection solution as it is a wee bit hot here :) Or any other type of exercise that might get me there.

Some other things that don't work:
    buying certain sports equipment: I have not seen spinning bikes or rowing machines.
    Cycling: the traffic is too dangerous and there are no cycle paths
    Joining a gym :( spinning lessons for women are during my working hours, and mixed gender workout is a big no here.

Why are your feet/legs so limited? Why can you ride a bike but not walk? Why is mixed gender working out a big no?

Lots of excuses. How are people supposed to give you suggestions when you seemingly can't do anything? If you have a medical condition or are extremely overweight, say so. It just sounds like you can't do anything for no good reason.
  • knollmma
    knollmma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was a swimmer for years and my lower body is WAY stronger than my upper! Get a kickboard and you will definitely work out your lower body while swimming!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Stair climbing. Find some bleachers (a stadium would be awesome) and do as many rows as you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is a good one!
  • bennysummerfield
    Options
    It's a medical condition, or rather several that allows me not to do running or jumping. Walking, also long distances is ok as the impact on my feet is rather low , cycling is ok as I'm sparing the weakest parts of my feet. Believe me, I tried to find solutions for my feet for years (special exercises, insoles, injections, had surgery, etc...) and my parents sent me to I don't know how many doctors when I was small, but everything that improves one issue worsens another. I'm not overweight :) but slowly getting to an age where a little unfit turns into 'gosh, I feel sooo old' (I'm over 40). Mixed gender workout is a no simply because it's a cultural thing here; think islamic country. There aren't many women around that do actually work and as such all classes that would help me improve my endurance are during daytime for women and for men after working hours.

Good, walking up stairs instead of using the lift!! Not sure why I didn't think of that! I work on a 17th floor :D Kickboard: noted! Might also help to improve on my crawling technique.

ps: not sure why my profile says I'm 35 and also don't find a way to change this. oh well...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you want to get better at hiking- the only way is to go do it more.

Swimming or hiking- or biking will help- just doing more of the things you want to do that you CAN do will improve your endurance.
  • bennysummerfield
    Options
    That's true, but if there's nothing resembling a little hill, let alone a mountain within several 100s of miles it's difficult to do that.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Swimming will help with cardiovasicular but not necessarily the solution to you wanting to hike mountains, it's different muscles that you're using, as someone else has said the best way to improve hiking cardiovasicular is to increase the amount of hiking.

I do a lot of walking and can quite happily walk the mountain trails with the dog and enjoy myself, I've completed my first marathon last month, however I'm knackered swimming for more than 30min (that's using breast stroke and not front crawl).
    You can get stationary bikes, you get get things called Turbo's that will transform a normal bike into a stationary bike.

I would speak to a personal trainer face to face to discuss your medical issues and talk about getting a plan put together that is suitable for your abilities, people on here can't really help with only half a story that there are medical issues with your feet, they can't suggest alternatives without knowing what is actually wrong and stopping you from doing things, you would need to either advise what the medical condition is (understand not wanting to do that on a public forum) or speak to a trainer face to face to discuss the issues.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have some limitations but as one of the original posters said, "hike more." Also, consider buying a weighted vest (X-Vest) and wear it while hiking; it'll give you a very different training stimulus.