Exercisey people & nutritional people please help!

Options
Ok, I weigh 68kg (148lbs) I am 5 foot 4.

I haven't been gyming or eating healthily recently at all.

I'm going back to the gym 3 - 4 days a week starting Monday. I just got a bike.

I would like to lose 18 pounds by the 16th of August.

I'd like a plan if someone could help that isn't so strict I'll fall off it within days & be cranky! But something I can keep up with food wise & exercise wise!

I'd like to use the bike & will be out walking my dog most evenings too.

Does anyone know of a diet plan which I can eat what it says without needing random strange ingredients I've never heard of & is just simple rules?! And a plan for the gym too ? :)

Am I asking too much?!?!!

Any help greatly appreciated! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ok, I weigh 68kg (148lbs) I am 5 foot 4.

I haven't been gyming or eating healthily recently at all.

I'm going back to the gym 3 - 4 days a week starting Monday. I just got a bike.

I would like to lose 18 pounds by the 16th of August.

I'd like a plan if someone could help that isn't so strict I'll fall off it within days & be cranky! But something I can keep up with food wise & exercise wise!

I'd like to use the bike & will be out walking my dog most evenings too.

Does anyone know of a diet plan which I can eat what it says without needing random strange ingredients I've never heard of & is just simple rules?! And a plan for the gym too ? :)

Am I asking too much?!?!!

Any help greatly appreciated! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Yes you're really asking too much if your goal is to lose 18lb in 10 weeks - and I say that because with only 18 pounds to lose, a 2-pounds-per-week weight loss goal is not realistic.0.5 pounds a week is about the pace you should go with only 18 pounds needing to come off. Any faster is not sustainable, and you'll lose a ton of muscle along with the fat if you lose faster, leaving you with a physically smaller version of the body you have (and are presumably unhappy with) now.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    its as simple as keeping to a calorie deficit, you can eat whatever you like as long as it stays within your limit and has a decent nutritional content.

as far as exercise, id look into the new rules of lifting for women. its not really necessary to lose weight but it will help you retain the existing muscle that you have during the weight loss process

ETA; above poster is right 18 lbs is aggressive for 10 weeks, i misread your ticker and thought u had 58 kg's to lose not a goal weight of 58 kg's. aim for half that tops
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    Thanks BigT555 & Phrick.

Just looking to see is there a plan? Or is there a set gym plan per week target to lose a certain amount or is it all about calorie??
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks BigT555 & Phrick.

Just looking to see is there a plan? Or is there a set gym plan per week target to lose a certain amount or is it all about calorie??
    weight is lost in the kitchen, not the gym. exercise isnt necessary to lose weight. lifting weights is good for building muscle in a surplus/maintaining muscle in a deficit, and cardio is good for increased cardiovascular endurance. both help create a bigger deficit but if you run 10 k a day and still eat too much you'll gain weight

if you input your stats and goals into mfp it will give you a caloire goal to hit each day, and there are many different beginner programs that you can look into, a google search would give you a ton of different options, but the best in my opinion are starting strength, new rules of lifting, new rules of lifting for women, or stronglifts
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weight loss all about calories in < calories out. There is no need to complicate things with specific exercise or diet plans.

In terms of food, eat what you enjoy within your calorie goals.

In terms of exercise, the best exercise is one that you enjoy and one that you will stick to.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Wright loss is all about burning more calories than you consume. You can do it through eating less, exercising more, or a combination of both. There isnt a magic plan that guarantees success, its all about discipline. Eating more whole foods with protein and good fats will help you stay full.

As for the gym, I would recommend starting a weight lifting program like stronglifts or new rules of fitness for women. It will help you maintain muscle while losing fat, which makes you smaller with less weight actually lost. You will definitely see results by August if you stick with it, but don't expect miracles in 10 weeks.

Set your MFP to lose 1 lb a week (which is still pretty intense with as little weight as you have to lose). Log everything you eat and everything you do exercise-wise. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories (this helps combat over estimations in calories burned). That's really all there is to it.
  • shortstuff189
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys!

Just was looking for a plan as I wouldn't know where to start! That's all! MFP says 1200 calories intake with no exercise!

So if I use my bike every day or whatever if someone said try to do "X" km a day or whatever that's all I was looking for is guidance but I spose I can try figure it out with the exercise tracker!
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for you by examining your diet and reflecting noting how you feel by looking for patterns. By doing this I found out that the more I eat in the morning the less hungry I am at night. Sugar makes me hungrier later in the day. Almonds keep my blood sugar under control and keeps me from getting hungry. I need lots of protein. You might be totally different.

Someone mentioned weight training, that will turn you into a fat burning machine if you still watch you diet. Good luck!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Just was looking for a plan as I wouldn't know where to start! That's all! MFP says 1200 calories intake with no exercise!

So if I use my bike every day or whatever if someone said try to do "X" km a day or whatever that's all I was looking for is guidance but I spose I can try figure it out with the exercise tracker!

Weight loss is achieved by calorie deficit, period.
    Fitness is achieved by exercise.

given these two absolutes, MFP calculates a calorie goal for you that already has your deficit built in - this means that if you didn't move a muscle, just ate the calories MFP gives you, you would lose weight. (sure you wouldn't feel great but that's beside the point I'm making)

So if you do exercise (cycling, gym work), that means you're burning off even more calories. and it's a bonus. Say you cycle 5km and that burns 200 claories (just tossing out numbers), then those 200 calories you earned from the cycling, with the MFP model you're meant to add that to your bottom line - so that day you should eat 1400 calories (your 1200 calorie base + the 200 you earned from cycling). This will ensure that you 1) still lose weight, and 2) have enough energy to do your next workout. Because of that there's no really clear guideline we can give you, because it dependsd on what you do for exercise, how long you do it, etc - and in the end when we're talking strictly about pounds coming off, it doesn't matter what or how much you exeercise anywya - it's the claorie deficit that dictates your loss.
  • shortstuff189
    Options

Weight loss is achieved by calorie deficit, period.
    Fitness is achieved by exercise.

given these two absolutes, MFP calculates a calorie goal for you that already has your deficit built in - this means that if you didn't move a muscle, just ate the calories MFP gives you, you would lose weight. (sure you wouldn't feel great but that's beside the point I'm making)

So if you do exercise (cycling, gym work), that means you're burning off even more calories. and it's a bonus. Say you cycle 5km and that burns 200 claories (just tossing out numbers), then those 200 calories you earned from the cycling, with the MFP model you're meant to add that to your bottom line - so that day you should eat 1400 calories (your 1200 calorie base + the 200 you earned from cycling). This will ensure that you 1) still lose weight, and 2) have enough energy to do your next workout. Because of that there's no really clear guideline we can give you, because it dependsd on what you do for exercise, how long you do it, etc - and in the end when we're talking strictly about pounds coming off, it doesn't matter what or how much you exeercise anywya - it's the claorie deficit that dictates your loss.

This has been super super super helpful! Thank you :) Will go figure out the calorie defecit then per week to lose the 2 pounds & go hit it as best I can without dying! :) Thank you !! :) MFP says my calories should be 1200 without exercise & then it says I think burn 730 a week?! Does that make sense?!