What is my ideal weight?

Options
(45years old female, 5ft 3", 34G breasts current weight 11stone 7lbs) Can someone recommend what weight I should be aiming for. I have lost 1 stone so far in 6 months. I go to the gym 5 times a week, spinning 4 times per week, plus 1 class of tone and 1 class of fat burn. I have been watching what a eat too sticking to around 1200 calories a day, although as I am using MFP I add on extra calories on the days I exercise. My steady weight loss of around 1lb ish a week.

I am quite short but have large breasts. Looking at my BMI it suggests I should be 9 1/2 stone which is very low. Can someone suggest what is a suitable weight I should be aiming for? :smile:

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would guess personally somewhere between 105-135 lbs, depending on how much muscle volume you have, and what your personaly preferences are. I am 5' 6'' and am most comfortable and healthy (have PCOS and insuline resistance, so weight matters for me) around 120-125 lbs, so if I were your height, for me my ideal weight would be I guess around 110 lbs or so. This is a little below 8 stone if I am doing the math right.
    1200 calories at your weight sounds way too little by the way, I would aim for slower weight loss personally.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary depending on your build and muscle mass (and how you think you look.) 130 pounds on a 5'3" woman doesn't strike me as especially light, more a pretty average weight for the ladies your age around here at that height in maintenance .

I'm younger than you but at 5'4" I'm happiest around 115 pounds and I wear an F cup bra (and was a G when I was a little heavier.) However, I don't have a large build. But honestly, I think a lot of people just get so used to being heavier that they don't realize a healthy weight can look great on them. It's really not likely you'd look too thin at 130 unless you have a very large frame or are very, very heavily muscled. Have you checked out mybodygallery.com? It's a site that can show you what other women around your height and age look like at a given weight.

Have you been monitoring your body fat percentage? That can be a better indicator of an "ideal" weight.

Ultimately, though, your ideal should be whatever YOU think looks best, as long as your doctor agrees.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    (45years old female, 5ft 3", 34G breasts current weight 11stone 7lbs) Can someone recommend what weight I should be aiming for. I have lost 1 stone so far in 6 months. I go to the gym 5 times a week, spinning 4 times per week, plus 1 class of tone and 1 class of fat burn. I have been watching what a eat too sticking to around 1200 calories a day, although as I am using MFP I add on extra calories on the days I exercise. My steady weight loss of around 1lb ish a week.

I am quite short but have large breasts. Looking at my BMI it suggests I should be 9 1/2 stone which is very low. Can someone suggest what is a suitable weight I should be aiming for? :smile:
    what is that in lb???
  • webbyno1
    webbyno1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Aggelikik , I would have to eat literally nothing to be 115 pounds. I have a fairly big build but I am not heavily muscular. 1200 calories allows me to lose weight slowly otherwise I dont lose any.

Peleroja My body gallery was interesting lots of different shapes and sizes at the same weight. I have been 130 pounds but I was going through a divorce and wasnt eating much at all, i would love to maintain that weight but would feel I couldnt eat.
  • webbyno1
    Options
    163.8 pounds currently I would like to get to 149.8 pounds but not sure if this is enough
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ignore the scale altogether. Eat at a slight deficit, (1lb/week weight loss goal at most), get adequate protein, and take part in a progressive overload strength training program. Use the mirror to gage progress, when you are satisfied with how you look, step on the scale, that is your "goal" weight.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am 5'3.5"(small chest though) with a medium frame and my most comfortable, easy to maintain weight is between 130-133 lbs...i have weighed less and i look even better, but the work that i need to put in to maintain that weight is not reasonable for everyday life...i have gained some back lately, but i am working toward the low 130s as an 'ideal' weight...you need to find a weight that you feel good at...everyone has a different version of 'ideal' based on your body type, lifestyle, and all round effort you want/can put in on a daily basis :)
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    There is no 'ideal', and BMI is by no means infallible. If I were you I would continue to aim for a 'healthy' BMI and keep an eye on your body changes. If you can incorporate weight training and make sure you're eating enough protein you'll see fat loss rather than just mass loss (fat and muscle).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic disorder, you would need to eat as much as everyone else your height, age and activity level to maintain a healthy weight. Sure, 10 lbs or even 15 lbs more or less might depend on body type, but this does not really mean a huge difference in calories.

My TDEE based on this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and 3- 5 hours exercise per week is around 1700-1800 calories, which I find to be close to reality.
    Your data point for 5 hours exercise week and a target weight of 115 to 125 lbs point to something like 1600-1700 calories, which sounds reasonable to me, not nothing.

Now, if you are both healthy and happy at a higher than ideal weight, what does it matter what the theoretical ideal or anyone else's ideal is ?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    163.8 pounds currently I would like to get to 149.8 pounds but not sure if this is enough
    at 5'3" I would shoot for 135-140 lb
  • webbyno1
    Options
    Ok good advise, how much protein should I be eating a day? What is a TDEE?
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You'll know when you get closer to 150 if is good FOR YOU, and then decide from there if losing a little more is a good idea...It's ok to have a goal and change it on the way ;) Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

when you get to 149.8 you can then decide if its 'enough'.
  • webbyno1
    Options
    You'll know when you get closer to 150 if is good FOR YOU, and then decide from there if losing a little more is a good idea...It's ok to have a goal and change it on the way ;) Good luck!
    thank you!
  • Dooney_Diva
    Options
    hy
  • webbyno1
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic disorder, you would need to eat as much as everyone else your height, age and activity level to maintain a healthy weight. Sure, 10 lbs or even 15 lbs more or less might depend on body type, but this does not really mean a huge difference in calories.

My TDEE based on this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and 3- 5 hours exercise per week is around 1700-1800 calories, which I find to be close to reality.
    Your data point for 5 hours exercise week and a target weight of 115 to 125 lbs point to something like 1600-1700 calories, which sounds reasonable to me, not nothing.

Now, if you are both healthy and happy at a higher than ideal weight, what does it matter what the theoretical ideal or anyone else's ideal is ?

I have gone onto your rec website and it asks my body fat how do I work that out?
  • webbyno1
    Options

Good idea, I just dont want to lose weight and it cause other problems like calcium deficiency etc...
  • erickirb
    Options

TDEE is just total daily energy expenditure, essentially how much you burn on average everyday including exercise.
    There are a bunch of different and usually pretty close to the same guidelines for amount of protein. But if you get 100+ grams per day that should be sufficient, but more wouldn't hurt.
  • webbyno1
    Options

TDEE is just total daily energy expenditure, essentially how much you burn on average everyday including exercise.
    There are a bunch of different and usually pretty close to the same guidelines for amount of protein. But if you get 100+ grams per day that should be sufficient, but more wouldn't hurt.

thanks for the info how do I work out my body fat and what should it be?
  • erickirb
    Options

thanks for the info how do I work out my body fat and what should it be?

There are many calculators out there, most of which are not overly accurate. Best bet is being tested via Dexa Scan, Bod Pod or hydrostatic weighing, all of which cost time and money. You can estimate based on pics, or find a couple on line calculators and use an average of those.