Healthy Camping Food?

Options
NS81
NS81 Posts: 192 Member
I'm looking for suggestions on some healthy camping meals... I'm talking tent camping, open fire - no fancy RV stuff :tongue:

We do a ton of camping every year, but I can't say our meal choices have always been the best - I've found quite a few on various other sites, just wondering if any of you have a good go-to you'd share? :smile:

Replies

• ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump,
    We also camp alot
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar apples - Core the apple, i pat of butter, brown sugar and wrap in tin foil and put on the edge of the fire.

Dutch over chicken stew??
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My go to is foil dinners. I usually mix some stew meat, carrots, potatoes and onions together, and a little seasoning and a little bit of Italian dressing together. Wrap in foil and cook. You can use chicken, and any vegetables you want.

Another foil dinner option is salmon topped with chopped jalapeno and lemon slices.

If you have a dutch oven and know how to use it you can pretty much cook anything that you would normally bake in an oven.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    We do camper packs alot. You can make them pretty healthy.

Take meat, cut up potatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, season everything. Then take your foil and coat with coconut oil. Add the food, seal and cook over fire.

You can do chicken, hambuger, steak, pork, whatever you want.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree on the foil meals, you can do almost anything in them and make it healthy/low calorie.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods, back woods camping as I do at home.

Aluminum Foil is wonderful for veggies and meats.
    I tend to already have my eggs cracked and ready for frying.
    Cheese stays good unrefridgerated for a 3-4 day trip.
    Meats you pack them in frozen and eat as they thaw, or cooked and just use the fire for reheating.

Also you will be burning more calories than normal, so chips, chocolate bars, candies are not a bad thing to eat when hiking/camping.

ETA: Hotdogs - can never have enough hot dogs when camping

Have fun
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We do lots of eggs for breakfast. You can crack them into a plastic water bottle (saves space, and you don't have to worry about the shells cracking), and shake them up. Then just pour them into a pan to scramble them.

Kabobs are never wrong :bigsmile:. We also do foil meals. Just wrap a meat up with some onions and other veggies in some foil. You may also consider getting a spider pan or a dutch oven. With the spider, you can use it to cook anything you'd cook in a frying pan, and the dutch oven you can use for anything you'd make in the oven.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    we bring a grill and grill away .....the options are endless
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's all about the food for us so we eat well, though we don't backpack so don't have to carry everything we eat very far. Just short portages once in a while. I'm assuming you take some sort of cooler and that you have a freezer at home.

Freeze drinking water in square-ish bottles to use as ice packs and for drinking as it thaws.

Breakfast

Oatmeal pre-packed in zip bag with a bit of salt and a few tbsp of raisins - dump into pot, add water and cook. Top with yoghurt (easier to pack and lasts longer than milk ) and pre-cut diced fresh fruit. You could add sugar to the dry mix if you want it.

Zip-lock omelets - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-in-a-bag/ Controversial as to health effects but I assume I get lots of chemicals in my food other ways so eating these once or twice a year doesn't bother me. Wouldn't feed them to kids, though.

Bagels are easier to pack without crushing than loaf bread.

Lunch

For sandwiches - wraps/tortillas/pita breads are easier to pack without crushing than loaf bread.

Make veggie sticks, wrap in damp paper towel and pack in zip bags. We take the usual carrots, celery, peppers, but green beans are good raw too. These can be put in wraps.

We take hummus for sandwich spread instead of mayo - tasty and adds protein - also good for dipping veggie sticks and pita bread.

Dinner

Freeze stuff like chili and stew in square containers then put into freezer bags so you can stack like blocks in the cooler. They work like ice packs until you use them. Use these meals on the last few days or as they thaw.

For the first couple days we take pre-washed salad greens in large zip bags (one bag per meal) and a small bottle of salad dressing. Pour salad dressing into bag and gently massage to mix before serving.

That's all I can think of off hand.

All the best in your quest!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is a hasselback potato. About 15 slices halfway through a potato, each with a sliver of onion pushed in it. I sprinkle them with Italian season. My dad would hit them with lemon, because he prepared them at home. I do them at camp so I skip the lemon. Then wrap them in foil and stick them in the coals of the fire overnight. You wake to the best treat.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    My go to is foil dinners. I usually mix some stew meat, carrots, potatoes and onions together, and a little seasoning and a little bit of Italian dressing together. Wrap in foil and cook. You can use chicken, and any vegetables you want.

Another foil dinner option is salmon topped with chopped jalapeno and lemon slices.

If you have a dutch oven and know how to use it you can pretty much cook anything that you would normally bake in an oven.

^^ yes... foil dinners!
  • mibblejane
    mibblejane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One meal we enjoy is lemon pepper chicken. Cut up a small potato and place it in the center of a piece of aluminum foil. Season with salt and pepper. Put a dab of butter on top. Place a chicken breast on top of potatoes and season with lemon pepper. Seal up the foil packet and place on a grate over the fire. We've also put it down in the coals of the fire to cook. Works either way. You could probably substitute the potato for veggies as well. Enjoy!
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos are a great way to use up leftovers. I call them trash burritos but they are SO good! Eggs, leftover meat from previous breakfasts/dinners (bacon, sausage, whatever you have leftover), canned diced potatoes with onion and peppers (or fresh, depending on your preference), salsa and a bit of shredded cheese. I cook up the potatoes in a bit of butter using a cast iron skillet over an open flame then add the meat and eggs. By the time the eggs are done, the meat is warmed up. Throw a bit into a warmed tortilla or into a bowl if you prefer no tortilla, add some cheese and salsa. Hearty breakfast that kids and adults love!

Pancakes are another breakfast option. I make protein pancake mix and pour into a shaker bottle. Then when I'm ready to use it, I add the amount of water necessary and shake. Again, I use a cast iron skillet to cook these.

Walking tacos are a big hit with the kids but not necessarily a "healthy" option. Cook up seasoned ground beef, crush up then open a lunch size bag of doritos, add the meat and all the other taco fixings you desire. Eat with a fork! I still make these but opt out of the doritos part and just throw mine in a bowl.

We tend to grill a lot as well - chicken (ziploc bag with chicken and marinade, packed frozen so it stays fresh longer), turkey brats, 90/10 hamburgers, veggies, etc. I have a dutch oven but haven't mastered it yet.

Have a great time camping!
  • joyceed73
    joyceed73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful tips and ideas. It feels like most of my camping trip is spent in food prep, cooking and cleaning. You have just made me a "happy camper".
  • NS81
    Options
    These are all great suggestions! Thank you everyone!

How long do you all cook your foil packets for? I've done them, but the potatoes always come out crunchy, or I put them on for too long and they stick to the foil...

hmmm... maybe I'm just not a great cook haha!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    we camp a lot camping is so easy to eat healthy. you grill everything.
    we usually do, chicken kabobs with veggies, turkey hotdogs, chicken flatbreads
    and i always have fruit around i pre-cut it and put it in freezer bags in the cooler it packs easier.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

How long do you all cook your foil packets for? I've done them, but the potatoes always come out crunchy, or I put them on for too long and they stick to the foil...

make sure you are using heavy duty foil or it will melt to your food.
    spray inside of foil with Pam GRILL spray.

ive also recently picked up weber grill mini aluminum tins that you can put on a grill haven't test yet but those should come in handy. we also use a cast iron pan put it right on the fire and thats how we cook things like chicken flatbreads (think pita breads with toppings)
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Banana boats. Peel on strip of peel to the end of the banana. Cut out a strip of banana along the peel. Fill with, your choices of chocolate chips, nuts, caramel pieces or anything else that sounds good. put the strip of banana back, and fold the peel over it, and wrap in foil. Put on the edge of the fire (I don't remember how long, but maybe 30 minutes). So good!
  • NS81
    Options

make sure you are using heavy duty foil or it will melt to your food.
    spray inside of foil with Pam GRILL spray.

ive also recently picked up weber grill mini aluminum tins that you can put on a grill haven't test yet but those should come in handy. we also use a cast iron pan put it right on the fire and thats how we cook things like chicken flatbreads (think pita breads with toppings)

I don't think I've ever noticed the grill spray! Thanks! We use a cast iron skillet a lot too :smile: I haven't mastered dutch over cooking, and kind of gave up on it last season lol
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump cause I'm going camping next week! :)