When should I buy a bra?

Options
I'm in need to go bra shopping. However I have about 25lbs left to lose. I've lossed about 20lbs now I have noticed some loss in my boobs :grumble: . My question is will I keep seeing them deflate with my continued weightloss or does it usually slow down. Should I just buy 1-2 bras now and wait til maintenance wt. Or is okay to revamp my bra wardrobe (which is very much needed)?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. You might be done losing there or not. If you're like me it slows down and loss starts happening lower.

You could buy some sports bras that will fit in either case?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I would say get a couple now. The bra is one of the two items in your wardrobe that always needs to fit properly or we, as women, are very unhappy. Most clothes you can "take in" and hold of on buying new for quite some time but it's usually not feasibel to "take in" a bra or panties and when those don't fit properly, oh boy... get out of our way!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree to buy 1 or 2 now. If you get nice ones in basic colors, that should last you until goal, and then you can go hog wild. Totally agree that your bra is something that must always fit properly. It makes sense to get a couple that fit you now, but don't go nuts, because your sizing probably will change again, and you don't want to be stuck with a million ill-fitting bras AGAIN. Remember that a properly fitting bra can make you look 10lbs thinner. Going to Nordstrom and getting fitted properly (TOTALLY coincidentally, but by one of the women that worked with Oprah when she did that show about bras!!!! She wasn't actually on TV, but she was part of it) changed my life.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I went and got professionally fitted (at a good lingerie store not at Victoria's Secret or a department store!) and when I was there I told them my weight loss goal and progress so far, and that I planned to continue to lose and wanted something relatively inexpensive but still supportive so that when I "shrunk out of it" I wouldn't want to cry due to having broken the bank to buy it in the first place.

I ended up with 2 Goddess Rose No-Band Underwire bras in size 36 G for $36 ea. Not too bad and it was much needed. I couldn't believe how much better I look and feel with a right-fitting bra on.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would buy a couple cheap ones
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I also lose weight in my boobs first.

I'm using sports bras until I get to my goal weight, then I'll buy regular ones... and pretty ones too! :blushing:
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Make a couple decent bras in your new size and some new panties your "reward." You'll both feel better and look better with good fitting underwear!
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Buy a few, but don't stock up majorly until you're where you want to be. Unless you're going very slowly and will be around this weight for a while.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You should NEVER go bra shopping!!! LOL, sorry I just had to say that.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling uncomfortable, get yourself at least one or two new bras. Make sure you're in the RIGHT size bra (Nordstrom, boutiques, etc. are all good places to get measured; you can also measure and determine yourself at home, following good guides you can find on http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide).

As for "when"? No one can know. It's different for everybody. I thought I was pretty set with my size (30F~ on average) and stocked up throughout the last several months, even buying smaller cup sizes thinking I couldn't possibly lose more in my underbust. All of a sudden I was on the second and third hooks, did measurements again, and I guess I need a 28 band.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This thread requires before and after new bra pics. Srsly.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you need new bras and are still losing, get a couple cheap one's from WalMart. They sell bras as low as $5, and have a tons of different styles and fabrics to choose from.

Good bras are typically very expensive. I hate bras, myself, and only wear them because of social pressure to wear them, not because I love or need a bra.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    317_460eb992bb5f9.gif
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If you need new bras and are still losing, get a couple cheap one's from WalMart. They sell bras as low as $5, and have a tons of different styles and fabrics to choose from.

Good bras are typically very expensive. I hate bras, myself, and only wear them because of social pressure to wear them, not because I love or need a bra.

but unfortunately they don't carry cup sizes above DD, in my experience. So this is decent advice for the average-chested lady but not, sadly, for me :laugh:
  • jessicagilb
    jessicagilb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I did the reddit/aBraThatfits.

Stunned on my right size but I'm excited to try it. A Cute panties and bra present to myself is a good idea!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just went to Nordstrom today to get fitted and came home with one bra which I may or may not keep. Smallest bras I have in the drawer are 32FF and 32G, and I'm measuring a 32F or 32FF or 32G depending on brand and style. So now I have to go through those bras and figure out which fit and which are too big/small in the cup based on style. I'm a little bummed, as I had some pretty things in those sizes that may not fit anymore. Good for the boobs, bad for the wallet.