If I eat chicken nuggets will I not lose weight?

Options
If I eat some chicken nuggets and stay within calories will this keep me from losing weight. If I eat some from a restaurant for lunch and log it will I gain weight or not lose? This confuses me. Bad calorie vs good calorie and weight loss. THANK YOU
For the help. The nuggets are fried.

Replies

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    I like chicken nuggets, I think you should eat them.

Do you like bbq sauce or honey mustard, please respond
  • cdnokie
    cdnokie Posts: 7
    Options
    if you were under calories then yes there is a possibility of losing weight. The big question is more about healthy choices though as that won't help your actual health. If its something occasional like once a month when you are in a hurry its not that bad but if its a daily thing then realistically you might want to rethink that. Also keep in mind the amount of sodium in processed food and that will add to weight gain and water retention which most people want to avoid as well. A good thing to keep in mind is that for your body to work at its best - its needs to best fuel you can provide. If its overly processed, low quality, fried food then you probably aren't going to get the best performance from your body.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Your body does not know the difference between good and bad - if it the numbers are right you are good to go.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you have to treat yourself. Eat your nuggets, track them, and move on. Cutting things out completely is pretty unrealistic (or, at least, I think so). You need to remember to live your life a little, too. :smile:
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything and lose weight, as most of this forum will tell you. If you're concerned about your health as well then no, classic chicken nuggets aren't the best. But my mother would make them herself every Sunday with a chicken breast and breading herself. Toss it in the oven instead of the fryer and you have baked chicken. I liked it so eh.
  • ducks424
    ducks424 Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat healthily every day. I wanted to treat myself. I just wanted other people's opinions. Thank you for replying :)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily every day. I wanted to treat myself. I just wanted other people's opinions. Thank you for replying :)

You can gain weight eating "healthy foods" if you are eating too many calories.

Educate yourself: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    if you were under calories then yes there is a possibility of losing weight. The big question is more about healthy choices though as that won't help your actual health. If its something occasional like once a month when you are in a hurry its not that bad but if its a daily thing then realistically you might want to rethink that. Also keep in mind the amount of sodium in processed food and that will add to weight gain and water retention which most people want to avoid as well. A good thing to keep in mind is that for your body to work at its best - its needs to best fuel you can provide. If its overly processed, low quality, fried food then you probably aren't going to get the best performance from your body.

The issue with your post is singling out one food source as healthy or unhealthy. Without context and knowing the OP's overall diet, activity levels, health issues etc., you have no basis to make a statement about how healthy a food is or isn't. Why limit chicken nuggets to once a month? What studies have you read that eating chicken nuggets only once a month is optimal for health?

You may want to realistically rethink giving such advice after knowing the entire picture, as context and overall diet is important, not one food choice.

As to answer the OP - Yes, you can eat chicken nuggets and still lose weight - calories in vs calories out.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I have with the fast food stuff is normally the sodium spike that ups my water retention for a few days and makes it look like I have gained some weight even though from a purely caloric standpoint that would have been impossible. It can demoralize people pretty quick when the scale moves the wrong way.
  • ducks424
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds levitateme
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If eating chicken nuggets is wrong then I don't want to be right.
  • ducks424
    Options

Educate yourself: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

Also, it is rude of you to assume that I haven't educated myself. You make assumptions. I've lost more than 30 pounds. As I said, I eat well. Educate yourself. Eating healthy foods but too much isn't healthy. It's better than eating lots of nuggets, but is still over-eating.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Also, it is rude of you to assume that I haven't educated myself. You make assumptions. I've lost more than 30 pounds. As I said, I eat well. Educate yourself. Eating healthy foods but too much isn't healthy. It's better than eating lots of nuggets, but is still over-eating.

No disrespect, but if you have to ask questions like that then there's room for a little more "education".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calories are what matter for weight loss (assuming we're ignoring water weight fluctuations).

Macros and micros matter for things like health, hunger, and body composition.

If you want to make chicken nuggets fit into your day that's personal preference.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want and lose weight, as long as you stay in your calorie goal.

There is a difference between calories and nutrition.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight while eating at a calorie deficit. It could be chicken nuggets, ice cream, McDonald's, pizza, broccoli, etc etc etc.

If your body is working at a calorie deficit it will need to get the energy from somewhere.
  • vetteldy98
    Options
    Not as long as you track it . And Not make a habit of it. Sometimes one thing can lead to another...:) :flowerforyou:
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Read this book. Burn the fat feed the muscle. nuff said
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    PS why don't you make your own chicken nuggets?