Vegans are you really a vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Wow sego glad you're happy now! I'm pretty happy myself...without eating the ribs ;).
  • veganbettie
    Options
    If you don't understand you don't understand and whatever, that means you're probably not vegan and you don't have to be. Whatever you know? Do what you feel is right. Bottom line is when people misuse words it makes it more difficult on the people that need the words to easily explain their lifestyle provided they need to, such as in a restaurant.

How complicated is that?
  • veganbettie
    Options
    I'm more irritated that now that I'm vegan people stop telling me good jokes, I have to hear the same damn jokes over and over. Bums me out.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    When I was a vegan I used to get really mad at people that misused the word. They had no idea the sacrifice and commitment that went into living vegan. Even claiming to be a vegetarian, the poor step brother of committed vegans, was insulting as they drank their milk and ate their eggs.

I was mad.

All the time.

You have no idea what it takes to be a vegan and you will never have the willpower to become one.

It was only years later after I started eating food again that I realized why I was so mad about the labels people put on their diet... I was mad because being a vegan made me miserable and for anyone to claim they too were a vegan without suffering as I did was a personal insult to my own ridiculous dietary choices.

I'm cured now. There's hope for everyone out there that is still suffering like I was. A rack of ribs will fix you right up and thereafter the word vegan will no longer spark your rage.

Aw man, I just spit all over my keyboard. Thanks :brokenheart:
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Wow sego glad you're happy now! I'm pretty happy myself...without eating the ribs ;).

I am so much happier now thanks. Every Time I ate a bowl of rice and veggies, every bite I took, I had to endure that song from the Chilis commercials playing in my head:

"I want my baby back, baby back, baby back ribs..."

For five years straight.

It surprises me that the whole "True Vegan" thing is still going on as an argument in this world. What someone puts in their mouth is pretty much up to them. It's only really vegans that seem to think they are elevated above others just because they don't want to butcher a living animal, cook it up, slather it with bbq sauce and put it in their bellies.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    you're right, it is up to the person. What one person eats is their business, no one is better than anyone else, everyone just needs to do what makes them feel most comfortable. which is why i'm vegan.

take care, enjoy your ribs.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    personally I think every bit helps so I try not to be a brat, but it does start to get a little confusing to people when words are used incorrectly.

it's like when people that eat fish call themselves vegetarians....it confuses people...I can't tell you how many people ask if I eat fish because they know so many vegetarians that eat fish. FISH IS AN ANIMAL!!! don't call yourself something that you're not, I don't know why people get so hung up on wanting to call themselves something that they aren't,
    Yea, that's a pescatarian.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think often people use the term to make a conversation simpler. It is easier to say "I am vegan" rather than explaining what you do and don't eat. I get it that there's a lot that goes into being vegan. I am a vegetarian and I do not eat eggs or drink cow's milk also. When I tell people I am a vegetarian I often have people say "but you eat fish right?" I politely explain that I don't and that's usually the end of it. Try not to take it too personally if someone says they are vegan and they aren't strictly following it. Maybe they are working towards eliminating everything and just haven't gotten there yet.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well, there is a difference between ethical veganism and dietary veganism. When you happen to talk to vegetarian or vegan people, it's easy to know if they're doing that because of ethical reasons or just because it's their diet. It's not so uncommon to follow a vegan eating plan nowadays, so if you're interested in that, better asking to the ones you're speaking with - I've honestly met so many vegetarian and vegan people that they almost used to have all slightly different thoughts about the matter! Most of them usually cared about animal welfare, but it's not my business to judge anyone if they're not interested in that.