FitBit One Questions

Options
I just got mine on Tuesday and I'm just not understanding how it works entirely. Yes, I know this is the MFP forum, not the FitBit forum, but I thought someone might be able to help.

On my first full day, these were my stats:
Steps: 3585
Burn: 2451

Second day:
Steps: 6860
Burn: 2120

I measured my workouts with my FitBit - day 1 was a 196 calorie burn, day 2 was a 285 burn.

So I'm really confused. My steps were considerably more, I burned more for my workouts, but my total calorie burn was *less*.

Any ideas?

Replies

• cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well first that "burn" is just your daily burn for being alive. It does not consider any exercise at all cause it doesn't measure your heart rate. This "burn" also includes your sleep burn. Which usually accounts for the 600/700 or so.

I just always used it as a measuring stick of how active I am and never used the BURN to determine my daily calories burned from exercise.

Do you have the settings right on the ftibit? I know on the flex and the force you had to make sure your dominant hand was selected.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the intensity of workout one was higher than for workout two? Fitbit also measures how many minutes you were "active" each day. Are those different from day to day?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Well first that "burn" is just your daily burn for being alive. It does not consider any exercise at all cause it doesn't measure your heart rate. This "burn" also includes your sleep burn. Which usually accounts for the 600/700 or so.

I just always used it as a measuring stick of how active I am and never used the BURN to determine my daily calories burned from exercise.

Do you have the settings right on the ftibit? I know on the flex and the force you had to make sure your dominant hand was selected.

You can use it to track your exercise - which is how I got the numbers I did. Just start the timer and it will keep track of the calories you've burned - and record them on the website. I was told that it was inaccurate though and to stop using it.

I have the FitBit One, so there aren't any hand settings - it's just a clip on.

@SueinAZ - Day 1's workout was 26 minutes, with a 196 burn (according to the FB), day 2 was a 16 minute workout with a 285 burn - which is weird because day 1's workout was recorded as higher on that graph thing (It was green). And my "highly active minutes" were 26 (day 1) and 17 (day 2).

Maybe my steps were more, they just weren't very effective?
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that scenario with my Fitbit too - I don't understand how it can even calculate an accurate burn without a heart rate monitor attached. It does seem to figure out when you are moving faster than normal, it doesn't calculate steps on a bike ride (of course) but it does calculate a higher burn, even if I don't log what activity I was doing.

I don't use the "fitbit" adjustment in MFP because it seems like it gives me a really low number of extra calories, like last night I walked 4.5 miles, about 90 minutes and it only adjusted my calories by 200 and then once I got home and sat down it started taking those extra 200 away from me. It is hard to try to hit a net calorie goal if it is constantly changing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I struggle with that scenario with my Fitbit too - I don't understand how it can even calculate an accurate burn without a heart rate monitor attached. It does seem to figure out when you are moving faster than normal, it doesn't calculate steps on a bike ride (of course) but it does calculate a higher burn, even if I don't log what activity I was doing.

I don't use the "fitbit" adjustment in MFP because it seems like it gives me a really low number of extra calories, like last night I walked 4.5 miles, about 90 minutes and it only adjusted my calories by 200 and then once I got home and sat down it started taking those extra 200 away from me. It is hard to try to hit a net calorie goal if it is constantly changing.

I *think* if you set your activity level on here to sedentary, it will stop adjusting your calories. That's what a friend recommended I do, and so far it hasn't adjusted my stuff. I'm not sure if that's a viable option for you.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    op- Make sure your stats are listed properly, you can even measure your stride and put that in! Like others said also make sure you have everything on settings right for you! The timer is for sleep not for exercise! I wear mine 24/7 Love it! Find it motivating and challenging!

I log my exercise and let the fit bit make it's adjustment. Works great that way for me!

@fvtfan-- of course your burn will change if you are inactive for a period of time. Why should it not go down if you are sedentary then you are not currently burning as many calories! Motivation to keep moving!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If your workout isn't steps-based (walking, running, dancing, aerobics, etc.), the Fitbit won't estimate its calories well. Cycling and resistance are the two biggies it won't do.

How it works is it detects your motion with an accelerometer, which is the same thing a Wii remote uses.

It's not uncommon to see higher calories on lower steps days sometimes. Intensity matters. 5000 running steps would probably out-calorie 6000 walking steps, for example.

OP is right that the timer function is also for exercise, not just sleep.

Setting MFP to sedentary should increase your Fitbit adjustment, not turn it off. The adjustment is just 'what Fitbit estimates you're on track to burn today' minus 'what MFP estimates you burn every day'.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I *think* if you set your activity level on here to sedentary, it will stop adjusting your calories. That's what a friend recommended I do, and so far it hasn't adjusted my stuff. I'm not sure if that's a viable option for you.

Well that seems counterintuitive - if you are sedentary then you would think it would give you MORE calories. Perhaps my problem is that I am set at "lightly active" so my Fitbit expects me to move more - so I have to work harder to get more calories, but I still don't like that it changes constantly. I have decided to just ignore it for now and enter my exercise manually.
  • cmbauer99
    Options
    If you want a true calorie burn. Buy a $49 HT7 Polar Bluetooth HRM, it attaches to your phone and way more accurate then any Fitbit.

FITBIT are good to keep you accountable and to really motivate people. It has no real way to know what is intense and what isn't. Its all step based. It doesn't know if you are running or walking or jogging in place.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options

You can use it to track your exercise - which is how I got the numbers I did. Just start the timer and it will keep track of the calories you've burned - and record them on the website. I was told that it was inaccurate though and to stop using it.

I have the FitBit One, so there aren't any hand settings - it's just a clip on.

@SueinAZ - Day 1's workout was 26 minutes, with a 196 burn (according to the FB), day 2 was a 16 minute workout with a 285 burn - which is weird because day 1's workout was recorded as higher on that graph thing (It was green). And my "highly active minutes" were 26 (day 1) and 17 (day 2).

Maybe my steps were more, they just weren't very effective?

No he's right: it assumes your BMR as well, so the calories you burn through moving and exercise are on top of the BMR. It really only counts the calories you've burned through exercise that you should be eating back, basically.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A HRM is good for estimating the calorie burn from your workout. A Fitbit is good for estimating the other 23 hours of the day, or all 24 if your workout is steps-based.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    If you want a true calorie burn. Buy a $49 HT7 Polar Bluetooth HRM, it attaches to your phone and way more accurate then any Fitbit.

FITBIT are good to keep you accountable and to really motivate people. It has no real way to know what is intense and what isn't. Its all step based. It doesn't know if you are running or walking or jogging in place.

This is my answer - thank you.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I just got mine on Tuesday and I'm just not understanding how it works entirely. Yes, I know this is the MFP forum, not the FitBit forum, but I thought someone might be able to help.

Second day:

I measured my workouts with my FitBit - day 1 was a 196 calorie burn, day 2 was a 285 burn.

So I'm really confused. My steps were considerably more, I burned more for my workouts, but my total calorie burn was *less*.

Any ideas?

It takes about a week for your Fitbit to really get to know you - at which point the calorie adjustments will even out and you'll see more consistency in what you get as calories burned based on your activity level. Keep with it for a bit - I got my Fitbit in January and have lost 50 lbs since, and I really credit the Fitbit for helping me understand my activity levels and the amount of calories I burn through certain types and lengths of step-based activities.

And I'll add that the Fitbit DOES know if you're running or just walking - it takes into account how many steps you're taking in a given amount of time, plus it knows when you've sped up or slowed down, making it much more accurate than MFP's averaging.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Second day:

Any ideas?

It takes about a week for your Fitbit to really get to know you - at which point the calorie adjustments will even out and you'll see more consistency in what you get as calories burned based on your activity level. Keep with it for a bit - I got my Fitbit in January and have lost 50 lbs since, and I really credit the Fitbit for helping me understand my activity levels and the amount of calories I burn through certain types and lengths of step-based activities.

And I'll add that the Fitbit DOES know if you're running or just walking - it takes into account how many steps you're taking in a given amount of time, plus it knows when you've sped up or slowed down, making it much more accurate than MFP's averaging.

This helps a ton, too. Thank you.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks walkingalong-- I did some reading on the fit bit site and found info on the activity/sleep setting. I may try it if I am doing a timed run or hike to see if I can better my time. ; )

I hope you find enjoyment op! I often am amazed at the amount of steps and miles I rack up just cleaning house or doing laundry! I got them for my kids and we are always in competition!

I wish you all the best!

:drinker:
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    If your workout isn't steps-based (walking, running, dancing, aerobics, etc.), the Fitbit won't estimate its calories well. Cycling and resistance are the two biggies it won't do.

How it works is it detects your motion with an accelerometer, which is the same thing a Wii remote uses.

It's not uncommon to see higher calories on lower steps days sometimes. Intensity matters. 5000 running steps would probably out-calorie 6000 walking steps, for example.

OP is right that the timer function is also for exercise, not just sleep.

Setting MFP to sedentary should increase your Fitbit adjustment, not turn it off. The adjustment is just 'what Fitbit estimates you're on track to burn today' minus 'what MFP estimates you burn every day'.

This is all very helpful.

I didn't mean that it turns off your calorie adjustment - I meant it won't adjust your daily calories *for* you on MFP - as in my goal of 1280 stays consistent - I think this changes daily if you're set to active or something. Although maybe I misunderstood that as well.

I really appreciate all the feedback - I feel like I understand it better and can now use it more effectively.
  • cmbauer99
    Options

Second day:

Any ideas?

It absolutely does not know if you sped up or slow down. It does not have an accelerometer installed in. It basically counts steps. Its a PEDOMETER nothing more. But does give you a " generic " calorie burn based on the settings YOU tell it. Its not a smart device. Its marketed well and selling very well. It doesn't have GPS so it wont tell how far you have went and how fast you went there or got there.

It doesn't track time and space. Only steps based on a predetermined stride.

The fitbit is not a miracle weightloss device. People are losing weight using them cause they are more aware of the physical activity and tracking better!!!!. ITS AWESOME!!!!

WHOA we have gone off the rails

Sorry OP for hijacking and soapboxing! hahaha
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    No apology needed :)

I've lost 25 pounds without it - I wanted it because gadgets and data - two things I love.
  • stinkinstone
    stinkinstone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have had the fitbit one about 1 1/2 years. If you get most of your steps in a short time, like when doing a cardio workout, it shows you have burned less calories than if you get steps consistently during the day. Makes sense, if you are on your feet all day you are more active than sitting most of the day then pushing for an hour or so. Generally, the days I don't work, if have more steps but less burn.

But as others said, it is just a motivater that is taking a guess. I think it helps me, but does not rule me.
    A
  • cmbauer99
    Options
    Once you start tracking with a HRM check out the POLAR LOOP

I have used all sorts of gadgets and this thing ROCKS> It connects to the HT7 Bluetooth HRM and it displays my Heart Rate IMMEDIATLY on the display of the loop. It has all the features of the Fitbit and Fuelband, BUT has the heart rate. So it can track all workouts correctly. Including HIIT

The only downfall of the Loop is that it doesn't sync with MFP

Its from POLAR and they have been doing fitness for quite awhile.