When Walking, Bending, Standing Up Hurts

Options
I've let myself get to the point where walking or bending hurts. It's depressing. Recently my 76-year old mother came to visit and I couldn't keep up with her. I want to enjoy exercise, but walking actually hurts! Every pair of shoes I buy hurt. It hurts to bend over to pick something up. It hurts getting in and out of the car. It hurts to even get out of bed in the morning. I'm at 266 lbs. 5 foot 6. I'm 54. I'd really like to surprise everyone and go home at Christmastime with a new body. (People expect me to be overweight, and they always comment on my weight - which has never helped me at all. Now, I live in another state.) I thought starting with 1800 calories a day and 4 20-minute work-outs per week might be a good start, but I'm afraid that (as has happened before), when I don't see results I fall back into my old habits. How can I push through the darkness to the light?

Replies

• PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One Day at a Time. Log your food, do what you can. I'm 400# 5'8, 58 years. Every movement hurts. Push thru. We'll both get there.
  • mostlyrawvegan
    Options
    You can do it! Small steps equal big gains the in the long run. When you don't see the results you want focus on how much better your feeling. We all falter but it's how we deal with it that counts. Good luck!
  • ranchmimi
    ranchmimi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to take it one meal at a time! I'm the same age as your mother - and before I lost my 39 pounds I was extremely sedentary because it hurt to do anything and I just let myself get lazy! This is not an easy journey - but doable if you don't expect too much too soon! We didn't gain our weight in a month - and it definetly is not going to come off in a month! You're not going to lose weight every day - and some days you may even gain - but don't let that get to your brain! Every day is a new day for success - and let that be your mantra! Do the best you can - there will be days it goes just fine - and other days will not be so good! Forgive yourself and get back on the wagon! Good luck on your journey - and if you want a friend to help motivate you sign me up! Get going today - don''t wait until tomorrow!
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    start slowly. First I would focus on healthier eating and staying in a good range for your calories, once you are confident and doing well, THEN you add exercise. That is what I did, I didn't want to get frustrated and give up so I took it slowly..best decision I could have made!
    Now it's been 4-1/2 months on my 1200 calorie, healthy eating plan and I am down 65lbs! You've got this! I used to be in pain every day like you. I was in the 220 range before I had my youngest daughter..today I am PAIN FREE..It's a WONDERFUL feeling!

If you need any support or encouragement, you can always add me! :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I thought starting with 1800 calories a day and 4 20-minute work-outs per week might be a good start, but I'm afraid that (as has happened before), when I don't see results I fall back into my old habits. How can I push through the darkness to the light?

This sounds like a good sensible plan. The only way to push through the darkness is to do just that. PUSH through the darkness. It might be a few weeks before you see results. That doesn't mean it's not working. It's just your body adjusting. But have faith and keep pushing. You WILL get there. But even before you see results on the scale or in the mirror, you are getting results. You are improving your health. There really is no better result than that.

If you don't see results immediately, keep pushing. If you have a bad day and overeat, let it go and keep pushing. The only failure is giving up.

Best of luck to you!!
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's scary at first and easy to have that "I've failed before" feeling. But joining MFP has made me more confident that I can do this!!

I signed up, read some posts on the message board. Sent friend requests to a couple people who sounded positive on the boards. Some of their friends sent friend requests to me. So far, all I have is people who come across as positive on my friends list. I'm not talking "blow smoke" type positive...because there's one particularly awesome friend on there who has pointed out a couple things on my food and exercise list that needed fixing and that's really helped me!

This is a long slow process and we're all in this together. So many people have posted success stories and that's what I want to do some day. You can do it, too! Just take it slow, one step at a time. Our weight gain didn't happen overnight and we won't fix it overnight. But we can and WILL fix it! :flowerforyou:
  • cdnokie
    cdnokie Posts: 7
    Options
    One of the best things I learned is that this is a process and the best part to learn is how to keep starting over. You are going to have good days and bad days and you just have to keep repeating that its a process. One bad day or bad week can't make or break you its all about taking the steps you can even if they are little ones and building from there. As far as everything hurts..yes it really does but part of that is making your mind really process the pain. If its pain because you are sedentary then use that pain to motivate yourself to push through so you eliminate it. If its pain from walking or moving and stretching then remember that is pain from your body changing and adapting into what you want it to be. The other most amazing thing is to learn to shut off that inner voice that tells you that you can't do something or that its too hard or anything remotely like that. Find a challenge no matter what it is and go for it. Even if its just walking around the block - use a timer or an app to see how long it takes you and then give yourself a goal time frame to practice getting faster ..then adding things like 2 laps or 2 blocks or whatever ...give yourself short and long term goals and know that you really can do it even when your mind says no ...push yourself to try it and see and if you can't succeed then practice until you can!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Keep going on those walks, but don't do it because it will help you lose weight.

Instead, do it as a break from work (or life in general), a time to get some sunshine, a time to think, a time to slow down from the usual bustle a lot of people deal with. After a while, you'll be able to do it because it makes you feel good (once it stops causing you pain).

You don't have to do a lot at first, so don't think you need to start out doing a 20 minute walk. If down to the end of the driveway and back is all you can manage right now, then that's fine, because that's better than nothing. Do that this week, then next week, go to the end of the driveway, and down the sidewalk to the neighbor's driveway (or maybe the property line, depending on how big your yards are and where the driveways are on the properties). The week after that, go to the next driveway, and so on.

As long as you're improving, you're making progress somewhere, and you're helping yourself. By doing it for reasons other than weight loss, you'll be less likely to use weight as a measure of progress for that activity, and therefore more likely to keep doing it, even if you don't see any movement on the scale.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Find what doesn't hurt- swimming, yoga, a stationary bike- there is always something.
    Check out stationary recumbent bikes- they're great for people with limited mobility, and sometimes insurance will pay for it.
    If none of that is an option, focus on your food- log EVERYTHING.
    And you might try supplements- Capsicum, Garlic, and Glucosamine Chondroitin would all be helpful.
    Good luck! Friend me if you like.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Do you have XBOX, we could play together and then you wouldn't have to stand

Add me, my user name is KILLSHAWT235x

:D
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My personal strategy is to just challenge every decision I make with:

"Would a fat guy do that?"

If so, I try my best not to do it.

I personally don't have any specific timeline for losing weight, I just want to be healthy and active so I do healthy active things everyday now. I might now be skinny come the holidays but I will be in much better shape even if others don't notice the difference.
  • WannaMoveAgain
    Options
    Wow - this made me get teary-eyed. As to so many of these replies - knowing that I CAN be free of pain if I lose the weight. Thank you so much.
  • WannaMoveAgain
    Options
    Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. I took them to heart. I'm so ready to make a change and stop hurting all the time. :-) Let's stay in touch.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This year in February, I started getting back spasms. I couldn’t sit, stand, lie down or walk when they were happening for couple of weeks. Even after that, I couldn’t lie down to sleep for couple of months and had to sleep while sitting. Even now I stand in a slouched position and when going over really big bumps on motorcycle, it hurts my back.

Oh yes, I am 31 year old.

I made a promise to myself; never again will I put myself in similar situation, at least not for lack of trying to remain fit.

I can’t really offer you solutions or inspiration, but I will say it this; keep reminding yourself of your condition and use that as motivation to work out and become healthier.
  • WannaMoveAgain
    Options
    "Instead, do it as a break from work (or life in general), a time to get some sunshine, a time to think, a time to slow down from the usual bustle a lot of people deal with. After a while, you'll be able to do it because it makes you feel good (once it stops causing you pain). " Thank you DragonWolf - there is a need to shift my mindset from "having to walk" to "wanting to walk." Thank you.
  • Jburch1982
    Jburch1982 Posts: 17
    Options
    Start slow, I introduce my mother in law to zija because of joint pains. She has had great results and is losing a pound a day. You should check it out. Go to drinklifein.com and jbirch.myzija.com. Also link to my Facebook page, Jason's Zija Lifestyle group. I post healthy recipes and people put there weight lose progress on there. I lost 81 pounds before so I know the struggle. It just happens meal by meal.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea to check with a Doctor or Chiropractor. See how much of your pain may be caused by structural vs. flexibility issues. The Chiro's can recommend exercises and stretches to improve that.
  • Ready4thanewme
    Ready4thanewme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    (((((Big hugs)))))))!! I was the exact same way. It hurt to stand, it hurt to walk. I am 5'7 and was 365lbs. I constantly had to lean on the counter for support. I started Feb this year and I'm now down to 293(last weeks weight). Haven't checked recently but I will soon. Anyway I'm saying that to say I didn't exercise much. I focused on creating habits that led to weight loss. I stopped eating after 7. I drank warm lemon water the start of each morning. I added more veggies. I found other things to do if I had an urge to eat I took a lavender bubble bath, polished my nails, deep conditioned my hair, gave myself a facial mask. Anything that was the opposite of hurting my body. I would have to say to my body No! Eating is done for the day! Find something else to occupy you. I read I journaled I became interested in makeup application. You can do it. You can have the life you dream of and walk in there at Christmas time and not hurt. If you committed to a pound a week by Dec you could be at least 25 pounds lighter. You can do this!
  • WannaMoveAgain
    Options
    (((((Big hugs)))))))!! I was the exact same way. It hurt to stand, it hurt to walk. I am 5'7 and was 365lbs. I constantly had to lean on the counter for support. I started Feb this year and I'm now down to 293(last weeks weight). Haven't checked recently but I will soon. Anyway I'm saying that to say I didn't exercise much. I focused on creating habits that led to weight loss. I stopped eating after 7. I drank warm lemon water the start of each morning. I added more veggies. I found other things to do if I had an urge to eat I took a lavender bubble bath, polished my nails, deep conditioned my hair, gave myself a facial mask. Anything that was the opposite of hurting my body. I would have to say to my body No! Eating is done for the day! Find something else to occupy you. I read I journaled I became interested in makeup application. You can do it. You can have the life you dream of and walk in there at Christmas time and not hurt. If you committed to a pound a week by Dec you could be at least 25 pounds lighter. You can do this!

Thank you!! Yes, leaning on the counter is the newest thing. I am simply refusing to continue this way. People at work notice when I stand up I have to lean and "climb" up from my chair as I try to keep the expression of pain off my face. Reading all the messages and yours helps me know that a pound a week could indeed add up.

I HATE exercise, I guess because I feel like it's going to hurt, but my new apartment is 20 steps away from a gym that is free for me to use, so today - my butt is going in there! (I've gotten lazy - I tend to walk past the gym to the pool, because when I float, I feel weightless. I know, wrong attitude.)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thank you!! Yes, leaning on the counter is the newest thing. I am simply refusing to continue this way. People at work notice when I stand up I have to lean and "climb" up from my chair as I try to keep the expression of pain off my face. Reading all the messages and yours helps me know that a pound a week could indeed add up.

I HATE exercise, I guess because I feel like it's going to hurt, but my new apartment is 20 steps away from a gym that is free for me to use, so today - my butt is going in there! (I've gotten lazy - I tend to walk past the gym to the pool, because when I float, I feel weightless. I know, wrong attitude.)

Wrong attitude, sure, but the pool is another thing that can help, as long as you're actually being productive and not just floating around. If you're actively swimming, you're probably making at least some progress. It's something a lot of heavier people start out with, because it does take the pressure off the joints, and it's generally easier to get into healthier habits when they don't cause pain (especially if you're just starting out).

That said, start lifting some weights, and see how light you feel after lifting another 20, 30, 40, or more pounds for 20-30 minutes. :laugh:

(Disclaimer - While I always encourage strength training from the beginning, it may yet be too soon to actually lift weights. By all means, start with body weight stuff, even if it's nearly upright pushups in a door frame. At higher weights, especially, body weight strength training is usually more than enough to maintain muscle while losing weight. Do what you can, and what doesn't cause "bad pain," or pain that is caused by actual medical issues, and not just from "rusting out" or exercising in a way you're not used to.)