What do you do for HIIT?

Options
Hi all,

Two to three times a week I venture to my neighbourhood gym with my friend. For three sets of ten minutes we do a cardio routine that looks like this:

I call out burpees for thirty seconds.

She calls out Jump rope for a minute.

I call out mountain climbers for forty five seconds.

ect. ect.

Bye the end of it all we are a huge disgusting sweating puffing mess, and we're both in pretty good shape. There is no resting but occasionally we'll pick an easier cardio exercise for thirty seconds such as butt kicks or running on the spot ect.

Question- Is this considered HIIT, even though we aren't resting much until the ten minutes are up, and how do I log this? I'm sure it burns a tonne of calories.

What do you guys do for HIIT?

Replies

• canadianbooty
    Options
    Ugh, Okay. So I am just going to make a fake profile and put some troll posts up here.

Those get like ten pages of responses on this forum.

I should just open my window and shout my questions to the parking lot below.

I'm sure more people would hear me.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Two to three times a week I venture to my neighbourhood gym with my friend. For three sets of ten minutes we do a cardio routine that looks like this:

I call out burpees for thirty seconds.

She calls out Jump rope for a minute.

I call out mountain climbers for forty five seconds.

ect. ect.

Bye the end of it all we are a huge disgusting sweating puffing mess, and we're both in pretty good shape. There is no resting but occasionally we'll pick an easier cardio exercise for thirty seconds such as butt kicks or running on the spot ect.

Question- Is this considered HIIT, even though we aren't resting much until the ten minutes are up, and how do I log this? I'm sure it burns a tonne of calories.

I wouldnt really consider it HIIT if you ask me, but some people may.

My HIIT consist of all out sprints for short amount of times/distances.
    Last night was 200 meter sprint, 50 meter lunges, 100 meter walk, 50 meter jog and repeat around the track once for each lane. When i started this a few months ago I could do like 1 lap.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ugh, Okay. So I am just going to make a fake profile and put some troll posts up here.

Chill out. YOu only have 15 minutes between starting it to being pissed no one responded yet?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Chill out. YOu only have 15 minutes between starting it to being pissed no one responded yet?

+1

For it to be HIIT you would need to either take a rest or do lower intensity work between those sets so that your heart rate goes up and down during the workout. Sounds to me like its more intensive cardio?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I do Tabata HIIT jump rope. Its hard but I love to workout.
  • CaptainJAG_37
    Options
    I use Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" program for HIIT. It's really good.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    HIIT = High intensity INTERVAL training . You are doing a harder version called High Intensity training or cardio acceleration.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    it cannot be HIIT if you're able to go for 10 minutes with minimal break. True HIIT means absolutely going all out for short bursts, followed by a usually longer rest period to recover.....so you can go absolutely all out for the next interval. To get the max benefit of HIIT, you have to get your HR up to near max. There's no one who can go all out at near max HR for 10 minutes. sorry. This doesn't mean you're not working hard or that you're not getting good benefit from what you're doing. True HIIT is simply misunderstood.

This is the HIIT that I do...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/sprint-interval-training-659426
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    Not HIIT as usually defined. First, you need a HRM to effectively do hit. Second, intervals are timed and involve short periods of maximal effort, as measured by a percentage of your maximum heart rate, followed by longer periods of rest or lower heart rate exercise, depending on your fitness level and goals. HIIT intervals should get you near to 90% or better of your MHR.

Here are some useful links on HIIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/tabata.htm
    http://trainerandrei.ca/tabata-training/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't sound like HIIT.
    I don't do HIIT either but I do train at high intensity, mostly using a rowing machine or Spinning bike.
  • iatemyelf
    iatemyelf Posts: 10 Member
    Options

i jog for 30 seconds, then sprint for 30 seconds. right now i do this for around 30 minutes on non-lifting days, to varying degrees of success.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I use Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" program for HIIT. It's really good.

I've got that book but I haven't had a chance to try it much yet.

As others have said, for HIIT, you want to go hard for X seconds, rest for Y seconds, with Y being some multiple of X usually, for beginners maybe 2X, or maybe 1/2X if you're in good shape.

So something like burpies for 2 minutes, 1 minute rest, etc.

You definitely need an HRM to do it properly because during the High Intensity intervals, you need to be pushing your heart rate near the maximum.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I do a 10 minute solution DVD for HIIT. It is 20 secs on, 10 sec rest. I LOVE IT!
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    Hmmm,

Without access to a track and not being able to sprint on a treadmill (too scary for me) I'm not sure how to get some HIIT into my work out.

I will check the links.

And yes, everytime I post anything on this site it gets buried under troll posts. Estos es la vida, I guess...

Thanks all. Anything else is appreciated.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This is more resistance training than HIIt - a bit like the Kayla Itsines workouts. Google her website, as she has lots of free workout pdfs. This is what I do 3 times a week now as well as my lifting,
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    Also,

If I can comfortably stay at 90% or more of my heart beat for two minutes or so, should I? Or stick to less time with rest?
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube tons of free HIIT videos all different lengths of times, you can squeeze a workout in no matter how much time you have.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    getting comfortable in 90% heart rate means time to tweak workout. I used to jump rope at 95% of max which I was told is dangerous but I was able to do so and feel nice afterwards. High heart rate can lead to cardiac arrest.
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    Also,

If I can comfortably stay at 90% or more of my heart beat for two minutes or so, should I? Or stick to less time with rest?
    Really, I have no idea but since the idea is bursts of high intensity, you might not want to extend those too far. Maybe instead just shorten the rests in between?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure that the strickt definition of HIIT is that you get your HR to X% and then let it get down to Y% (not sure of the numbers)

the rest doesn't have to be just standing there, it can be a lower intensity cardio.

but it doesn't seem like you have a lower intensity cardio (unless you do the run in place option and go easy)