StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or something else?

Options
I have been lifting weights 3x to 4x weekly for a little over a year now. I'm happy with the results but realize that a couple of things are getting in my way of real improvement. The first was diet - I wasn't eating enough and I'm working with a nutritionist on setting that straight. The second is my lifting form and routine.

For a while I did a full body routine each time. Lately (past 6-7 months) I've been doing a split body routine (e.g., Chest/Triceps; Back/Biceps; Leg/Abs; Shoulders). I'm thinking that I want to get back to basics and learn to do the weights the right way. So my question is whether it makes sense for someone like me, with some experience and time with the weights to start on a program like StrongLifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Starting Strength or would that be too regressive? Do I need a routine that is a bit more sophisticated to meet me where I am now or would I likely benefit from starting over as a rank n00b?

Postscript: If I did "reset" with a program like StrongLifts or Starting Strength, I'm thinking that I would also add in some exercises to hit my abs, traps, hamstrings, and biceps since those seem to get less attention in the programs that I mentioned.

Anyway … I'm interested in your opinions and experiences.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about Starting Strength, but I do know about StrongLifts because that's what I've been doing. With 5x5, you shouldn't be doing any accessory lifts. Your core should be working in pretty much all the lifts - you don't need "ab exercises" to build up your core. Your traps are worked with bent-over rows and your hamstrings are worked with deadlifts and squats. No need for supplemental lifts there. I'm with you a bit on the biceps but, again, SL 5x5 is designed so that the only lifting you do is what the program tells you to do. If you're going to do one of these programs, I'd suggest doing it like it should be done instead of modifying it.

I think it's great that you want to start over and focus on compound lifts, full body workouts, and form. No, I don't think these programs would be regressing too much. A year isn't all that much time - you're still technically a "beginner" by lifting standards. My husband lifted in high school for 4 years, then slacked off for the next 6ish years. When he started again, he did the bro split you described for almost a year before switching to 5x5. He plans to transition to an intermediate program within the next couple of weeks.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Since your a guy, if you don't squat 300lbs and deadlift 400lbs, start with a beginner program.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    With 5x5, you shouldn't be doing any accessory lifts. Your core should be working in pretty much all the lifts - you don't need "ab exercises" to build up your core. Your traps are worked with bent-over rows and your hamstrings are worked with deadlifts and squats. No need for supplemental lifts there. I'm with you a bit on the biceps but, again, SL 5x5 is designed so that the only lifting you do is what the program tells you to do. If you're going to do one of these programs, I'd suggest doing it like it should be done instead of modifying it.

Good points. And what you are saying is consistent with what I've been reading about SL 5x5. I should just trust that those muscles do get worked, as advertised, and learn to ignore some of my more naive perceptions.
    I think it's great that you want to start over and focus on compound lifts, full body workouts, and form. No, I don't think these programs would be regressing too much. A year isn't all that much time - you're still technically a "beginner" by lifting standards.

Another good point. A year seems like a while, but only relative to my own experience with fitness programs of any type. I'm inclined to agree that I am a beginner and that I would benefit from one of these programs.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights 3x to 4x weekly for a little over a year now. I'm happy with the results but realize that a couple of things are getting in my way of real improvement. The first was diet - I wasn't eating enough and I'm working with a nutritionist on setting that straight. The second is my lifting form and routine.

For a while I did a full body routine each time. Lately (past 6-7 months) I've been doing a split body routine (e.g., Chest/Triceps; Back/Biceps; Leg/Abs; Shoulders). I'm thinking that I want to get back to basics and learn to do the weights the right way. So my question is whether it makes sense for someone like me, with some experience and time with the weights to start on a program like StrongLifts 5x5 or Rippetoe's Starting Strength or would that be too regressive? Do I need a routine that is a bit more sophisticated to meet me where I am now or would I likely benefit from starting over as a rank n00b?

Postscript: If I did "reset" with a program like StrongLifts or Starting Strength, I'm thinking that I would also add in some exercises to hit my abs, traps, hamstrings, and biceps since those seem to get less attention in the programs that I mentioned.

Find a plan that you like and you can stick with. You can progress on just about any plan that incorporates mostly compound lifts using heavy weight.
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5/3/1/ - Big But Boring and I like it, you have assist work too with the program if you feel like you want to do a few more lifts besides your core lift for the day. Might be worth reading about. YouTube is always a good place to check form. Good Luck
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

With Starting Strength, you don't go right to the empty bar to start, he has a relatively straightforward way of figuring your starting weights.
  • dockholiday8234
    dockholiday8234 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you cannot bench press 1.5x bodyweight, squat 2x body weight, deadlift 2.5x bodyweight, chin up 0.5x bodyweight you are a beginner and need to focus on a program like starting strength. Not one damn bicep curl or tricep extension should be performed until you can hit these numbers.

Your progress to reaching these numbers should be fairly linear with a well designed program, not hitting any significant plateaus along the way.

Strength to body weight is a fantastic measurement to gauge progress. Big compound lifts, 3-4x week, lots of nutritious food and lots of rest is your ticket.

Good luck.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you cannot bench press 1.5x bodyweight, squat 2x body weight, deadlift 2.5x bodyweight, chin up 0.5x bodyweight you are a beginner and need to focus on a program like starting strength. Not one damn bicep curl or tricep extension should be performed until you can hit these numbers.

Your progress to reaching these numbers should be fairly linear with a well designed program, not hitting any significant plateaus along the way.

Strength to body weight is a fantastic measurement to gauge progress. Big compound lifts, 3-4x week, lots of nutritious food and lots of rest is your ticket.

Good luck.

Haha. Where do you get these numbers? Bench press 1.5 bodyweight to not be a beginner. lulz. yet chin up .5 bodyweight?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I personally love Stronglifts but if you really feel the need for accessory lifts you can take a look at Ice Cream 5x5. It's basically Stronglifts with accessory work.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I know a few people that really loved the results from it but I don't believe it's necessarily necessary to use accessory lifts.

I found myself stalling on upper body lifts 3 months into Stronglifts so I decided to add accessory lifts and I've definitely felt that it has helped.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You could take a look at these programs also.

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/free-strength-programs/
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm another +1 for Stronglifts 5x5 :)

Although it hits a lot of the major muscle groups, depending on your goals, I would recommend some accessory workouts in addition to -- in particular, lats!
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Haha. Where do you get these numbers? Bench press 1.5 bodyweight to not be a beginner. lulz. yet chin up .5 bodyweight?
    I'm not sure about that either, where someone stalls out on a straight linear program like starting strength will depend on a lot of things (age being a big one, its a bit easier for a 22 year old guy to keep progressing linearly than it is a 36 year old).

Personally, I stalled out and couldn't keep making gains on starting strength around 1.5x body weight squats. I couldn't recover doing squats 3x a week like that and it was beating me down. I ended up switching to 5/3/1 at that point after about 7 months on starting strength and have been running that for nearly a year since. I'm still not quite to the thresholds the OP listed, but I'm close.
  • Jollybeard
    Options
    What are your goals?

Adding muscle definition and strength is the extent, I would say. I'm not attempting to body build or something like that. But I'm being wishy-washy. I'll just be a bit vain and say that I currently have a runner's build and it feels a little scrawny on me. I want to appear to have more muscle.
  • Jollybeard
    Options

Good luck.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. This is very helpful.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

Adding muscle definition and strength is the extent, I would say. I'm not attempting to body build or something like that. But I'm being wishy-washy. I'll just be a bit vain and say that I currently have a runner's build and it feels a little scrawny on me. I want to appear to have more muscle.

If you don't have any weight to lose, I'd say eat at a surplus and stick with compound lifts to start. Get your form down and get your strength up. Then when you get out of the beginner phase, add in some accessory lifts if you wish to.
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about Starting Strength, but I do know about StrongLifts because that's what I've been doing. With 5x5, you shouldn't be doing any accessory lifts. Your core should be working in pretty much all the lifts - you don't need "ab exercises" to build up your core. Your traps are worked with bent-over rows and your hamstrings are worked with deadlifts and squats. No need for supplemental lifts there. I'm with you a bit on the biceps but, again, SL 5x5 is designed so that the only lifting you do is what the program tells you to do. If you're going to do one of these programs, I'd suggest doing it like it should be done instead of modifying it.

I think it's great that you want to start over and focus on compound lifts, full body workouts, and form. No, I don't think these programs would be regressing too much. A year isn't all that much time - you're still technically a "beginner" by lifting standards. My husband lifted in high school for 4 years, then slacked off for the next 6ish years. When he started again, he did the bro split you described for almost a year before switching to 5x5. He plans to transition to an intermediate program within the next couple of weeks.

This times infinity
  • Jollybeard
    Options
    Also, I'm 42. So I think that disqualifies me from being considered a "young guy," how ever that factors into this discussion.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i was a big fan of 5/3/1, a program developed by jim wendler.

it's split into four days- squats, dead lifts, overhead press, bench press. basically quads, hamstrings, shoulders, chest. and yes of course you work out your smaller muscle groups on the applicable day.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I started IceCream Fitness a few weeks ago and I love it! I look forward to every week adding 5lbs to my barbell. Gives me such an awesome feeling! My husband is now gonna be giving that program a go :)