upper body routine

Options
So I've been doing this routine every other day 4sets of 8 I do bench incline ez curl close grip and wide also shrugs and tricep extension am I putting to much into one workout? I mean I see good results but just not as big as i want also I do insanity everyday as well. Need some input or suggestions please.

Replies

• IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Where are the back exercises? IMO you should drop the bi/tri specific exercises in favor of bench press variations,(incline/flat/dumbbell/bar), flys, lat pull downs, pullovers, and rows,
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

As the previous poster mentioned, where is your back exercises? Legs? Can't build a house without a foundation.

If you have access to a Barbell, revolve your routine around compound exercises: Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, OHP, BB Rows, Pull ups, Chin ups, Dips.
  • jvilla432
    jvilla432 Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm trying burn the remaining fat and try to tone up but I just need a little guidance as to how to get there i have a barbell and dumbells and ez curl bar I do legs every other day but I do need to put more focus on back. So whats your opinion on 5x5
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i liked 5/3/1. the routine was split across four days- squats, dead lifts, overhead press, and bench press.

check out strstd.com
  • steve0820
    Options
    I'm trying burn the remaining fat and try to tone up but I just need a little guidance as to how to get there i have a barbell and dumbells and ez curl bar I do legs every other day but I do need to put more focus on back. So whats your opinion on 5x5

5x5 is great for strength. Stronglifts and Starting Strength, and some others, use this method.

5\3\1 is a good program as well, and something a lot of lifters switch to after SS, Stronglifts, etc...
  • jvilla432
    Options
    Well what kind of routine do u do it seems like its working pretty good
  • steve0820
    Options
    Well what kind of routine do u do it seems like its working pretty good

My routine changes and it depends on what I'm doing and what my goals are.

Currently I'm cutting and training to keep strength and add definition. When I was bulking, my routine was almost the same, minus a couple of isolation exercises. So bulking was more 5x5 working sets, with 2-4 warm up sets. Now, it's more 3x5, with a 5 set max, because I add more exercises.

Here's an example when I was bulking:

Legs: (Squat, deadlifts, accessory work \ for myself, thrusters, good mornings, bridge, pistols)
    Chest: (Bench, DB incline press, dips)
    Shoulders: OHP, Db swing superset w\ DB push press, farmers walk)
    Back: (Deadlift, BB Rows, Pull ups\chin ups)
  • jvilla432
    Options
    I've been doing alot of research on lifting like I said im still trying to burn fat and also put on muscle. I was thinking of joinig crossfit but my oilfield life really wont give me the time but google wont give me straight anwsers like the input yall give me. So if I do 5x5 three times a week and insanity everyday like ive been doing you think It'll be good on my body. Plus if u take any supplements what do u take
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing this routine every other day 4sets of 8 I do bench incline ez curl close grip and wide also shrugs and tricep extension am I putting to much into one workout? I mean I see good results but just not as big as i want also I do insanity everyday as well. Need some input or suggestions please.

How many times a week are you doing this?

If you only do chest and no back you'll cause an imbalance and mess up your posture and end up with shoulder issues.. Speaking of shoulders.. add some for that to.

Your body will want to grow proportionately, add legs and the rest will keep getting bigger, working your legs will definitely help your burn of more fat. I would either find a 3 day full body routine or a 4 day split.
  • jvilla432
    Options
    3times a week mon wed fri take off sat sun try to put legs in on tue thur.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should look up routines on muscleandstrength.com or bodybuilding.com, what your doing now is lacking in many ways, if your going to put in the time, might as well make sure your getting the most of it. You'll probably enjoy your workouts a lot more to, adding different exercises and techniques will keep you interested because I can see your workouts getting really boring really fast

Just checked out your profile, your obviously determined because you came a long way already! Congrats! So take suggestions and find something to keep you moving on the right track, your current workout won't do that for you!

Cheers
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've been doing alot of research on lifting like I said im still trying to burn fat and also put on muscle. I was thinking of joinig crossfit but my oilfield life really wont give me the time but google wont give me straight anwsers like the input yall give me. So if I do 5x5 three times a week and insanity everyday like ive been doing you think It'll be good on my body. Plus if u take any supplements what do u take
    I'm not sure i'd recommend doing Insanity and anything else at the same time... Insanity is tough as hell on your body, and its going to be difficult to get much in the way of strength gains out of a lifting program while you're doing 45 minutes of HIIT every day.

IMO, insanity (or any similar HIIT program) is great for general fitness. That is, if you're out of shape, that program will get you in much better shape very quickly, but over the longer term there's only so much improvement you can have doing just that.

I ran insanity when I was near/at my goal weight and lost a couple more pounds during the 60 days. When it was done I felt like I learned a lot about my body and what I was capable of. I kept doing other cardio for a month or so while I read Starting Strength and then hit the free weights using that program and haven't looked back.

I'm around 10 lbs heavier now than I was when I finished Insanity (after lifting for about a year and a half), but I'm wearing the same size clothes and my strength is night and day from where I was back then.

I guess, long story short, Insanity/cardio/HIIT serves a purpose, but if you want to improve from there you need to get on a program that builds on its self in a logical way to let you improve. At some point you won't be able to push yourself harder in Insanity and you'll need a program that helps you do that. I did Starting Strength and am doing 5/3/1 now and I couldn't be happier.
  • jvilla432
    Options
    Thanks. I think im gonna try the 5x5 routine and definitely focus more on back and legs thanks for everybody's input and if yall can think of anything else or have any other suggestions to help me out I'll be more than happy to hear about it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think im gonna try the 5x5 routine and definitely focus more on back and legs thanks for everybody's input and if yall can think of anything else or have any other suggestions to help me out I'll be more than happy to hear about it.

Yeah, you should follow a structured method until you've had more experienced. SL5x5, SS, 5/3/1 are ALL great for novice lifters, pick one that appeals to you, follow it's principles, and believe in it. If you don't believe in it, it doesn't matter much. Other than that, eat. If your goal is to put on some muscle, one must eat. Being a cutting-queen isn't going to cut it, no pun intended.