New to Exercise

Options
Hey MFP!

I have a question and would love to hear your ideas-

Okay I'm new to this whole exercise thing, why I'm overweight, but I want to know if there are any great Strength Training exercises I can do at home, along with fast walking/jogging (building up to running) for Cardio. I've read, and heard from success stories, that its imperative you do both at the same time for the best results. I don't have the money for a gym membership/personal trainer, why I'm asking for home workout ideas.

All comments are much appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this one when I start out with body weight exercises.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

The couch to 5k is good for the cardio training and was linked above so I won't link it again :D

Good luck!
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in same boat except I have worked out before. I'm getting back into it. Right now I'm about a month into my program....approx 15# down...:) and more to go. What works for me may not work for you though. I recommend just trying various things and see what you like. I have a dumbell set at home which is 25# each and are adjustable if I needed ( I dont now but when your warming up or starting out you may not want to use all the weight). The dumbells at home you can do tons of various exercises. Dont forget to do warmup before exercise and cool down after exercise. I usually do 10 minutes various stretching and ab crunches.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just like others I suggest getting an app on your phone. I have map my run, nike fit+ for running or walking- they are both great tools that help estimate calorie burn and miles of walking.
    For strength you could use Fitnes buddy. Its better if you spend a couple bucks on it because you can save more workouts... but I like the free one too.
  • BORD3N
    BORD3N Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bumping to get the links... my work computer wont let me access them! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, crunches, pushups (or wall pushups if you need to work up to it), bicep curls and the like. You don't need equipment - can use household items for 'weights' or get a couple of decent resistance bands.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Resistance cardio is a great middle ground, especially if you are new to exercise. (Think weight lifting exercises but in a fast-paced timed environment, like including weighted or bodyweight exercises in a circuit routine with minimal rest in between exercises).

I love doing timed intervals with a kettlebell: swings, clean and press, snatches, figure 8s, around the body swings.