I don't really know what I can and cannot eat. Please help

Options
2»

Replies

• Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There's alot of "you can eat whatever you want" here, and to a degree that is true. But if you want to make a sustainable, life-long change, you shouldn't exactly eat whatever you want.
    If you eat all of your daily allotted calories in Doritos and chocolate, you will be HUNGRY. Seriously: two bags of doritos and a king-sized Twix bar and 75% of my calories for the day are gone.
    The most important thing you can do is cook for yourself - you control what goes in, you know what you're eating. Go with whole grains - rice, quinoa, farro, barley, wheat berries, veggies, lean proteins - turkey, chicken, fish, eggs, beans and legumes. If you don't know how to cook, take a healthy cookbook out of the library, or Google "healthy recipes" or check out the recipe section here, though it's pretty disorganized.
    Do some research on what foods you like have a low calorie density - those you can eat more of and still not be too many calories. Sure, you can still eat some "junk" - but if you do you'll have less calories to eat filling meals. Best of luck, happy to help if you have more questions!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's just portion control. Two pieces of bread turns into one, a potato turns into 1/2 potato with 1/2 of the other stuff you're accustomed to putting on it, etc etc.

Incorporate into your foods, fruits, salads, veg's, 0 calorie drinks, and grilled instead of fried when possible, and low fat lunch meat etc. No more second helpings, lay off of the sugar, sweats, chips, and high calorie crackers. If you've got to have a taste of cake make it a sliver. Lifestyle change doesn't mean you eliminate foods that you like to eat, it just means you eat less of them.

I keep a few Healthy Choice dinners in my freezer, when I don't feel like cooking.

Basically, it's just calories in versus calories out. If you stay within your calorie goal on MFP, you will lose weight.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out myself but have been told by a dietician to stick to the following guide lines:-
    * 1200-1500 cals per day
    * reduce salt and sugar intake
    * avoid high fat and fried food or eat sparingly.
    * Eat plenty of veg and salad plus some fruit
    * Eat plenty of protein ( it increases your metabolism)
    * Eat frequently ( about every 3 hours to keep your metabolism pepped up)
    * Drink plenty of water
    * Don't eat for a couple of hours before bedtime
    * move about more even if it is only doing extra chores at home or taking a walk, the more you move the more cals you will burn but don't go from being completely sedentary to doing 2 hours of gym overnight as you could injure yourself.

GOOD LUCK :)

This is all pretty bunk advice.

Caloric intake isn't universal. 1200-1500 calories gross, in general, is pretty low. It will fit some, but not many.

Salt, sugar, fat, fried, whatever.... you can eat it. You just need to plan for it.

Salads and fruit are fine. but you need to make sure you're staying within your goals, same thing with protein. You can eat all "non processed foods" but if you're over in your intake, you're still over.

Eating frequently had been debunked times over. It's about staying in your caloric intake goals for the day.

Water is fine...

"Don't eat a couple hours before bedtime" has also been proven as nonsense. You can eat whenever you want. You have a calorie goal for 24hrs, not 16. If your goal for the day is 1800 and 800 of that comes right as you go to bed it doesn't matter.

Exercise is for fitness, diet is for weight loss. If you start moving more, make sure you account for that in your diary and still take in the proper amount of fuel for the day.
  • nerual13
    nerual13 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned: avoid heavily processed foods like packaged snacks and white bread. Avoid "low-fat" or "low-calorie" foods that over over processed and have little nutritional value. Try to eat food that you enjoy, especially fruits and vegetables. Stick with lean meats, like turkey or fish, over heavier red meats like beef and pork. Avoid sugary drinks and snacks. Complex carbs are good, like wheat breads and some starches that take longer to break down in your body and therefore keep you full longer. The biggest one for me — avoid TRANS fat. Other types of fat can be healthy in moderation, but trans fat found in fried foods, many "snack" foods like chips or cookies, and baked goods that use high levels of margarine or butter.

THIS was the big change that did it for me in several ways. I got rid of processed food and found that I was eating healthier just from that and my energy level went up as well. Lots of protein is good too, you'll feel much better and that will get the ball rolling.

Also, don't cut out whole types of food (bread, pasta, etc). Learn to eat less of it or just every once in a while, do what I do and give yourself permission to enjoy the meal you really love without feeling guilty. I still log it, and that one meal is not going to erase all my other efforts.

Everyone is different, so it'll take some experimenting to see what works best. I have friends who eat no breads, pastas, etc and are happy, while I want to go smack someone if I don't get pasta on a semi-regular basis :p You'll find what works for ya!!!! You can do it!

PS - get rid of mayo and skip the "low-fat" craze too, ask yourself what they did to it to replace the fat and make it taste good. Its chemical grossness! :p
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My problem is, is that I don't really know what I am suppose to be eating, and what i'm suppose to avoid (besides breads, pasta and potatoes.)

There is no need to "avoid" those foods.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out myself but have been told by a dietician to stick to the following guide lines:-
    * 1200-1500 cals per day
    * reduce salt and sugar intake
    * avoid high fat and fried food or eat sparingly.
    * Eat plenty of veg and salad plus some fruit
    * Eat plenty of protein ( it increases your metabolism)
    * Eat frequently ( about every 3 hours to keep your metabolism pepped up)
    * Drink plenty of water
    * Don't eat for a couple of hours before bedtime
    * move about more even if it is only doing extra chores at home or taking a walk, the more you move the more cals you will burn but don't go from being completely sedentary to doing 2 hours of gym overnight as you could injure yourself.

GOOD LUCK :)

Sounds like a good plan! Try this.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would start slow. Don't change your ENTIRE diet over night. Incorporate small changes every week so that they become habits. Maybe start by just making one meal a day healthier, try to get 2 cups of vegetables in with every meal for a week, try to drink a certain amount of water every day for a week, add 10 minutes of walking every day for a week then slowly start to add 5 minutes to that. Doing small things will add up and you'll feel accomplished!

I have about 180lb to lose so if you need friends on a similar path then feel free too add me!
  • lightandflight
    Options
    I think you are getting a lot of good advice here. I would definitely NOT rule out entire food groups in general. Personally, I avoid added sugar and sugar-like products (because I can't eat 1 portion of ice cream or cookies, I eat all the ice cream etc), so its a trigger for me. But I eat a potato almost every day. I look in the bins for the smallest ones there, and then cook up 3 or 4 in foil at a time, so I don't stop for fast food etc. I always have something filling at home.

If I were starting where you are, I would probably eat "normally" for a week, and track all of it. Then go back and look at what wasn't worth it, what you like, but could have portioned better (cereal, etc), what meals you could make healthier with less oil, or baking instead of frying. And then add in more veggies and fruit because they are more filling and have fiber to keep you full. I find having several sets of measuring cups is helpful and a kitchen scale.

You don't need to be hungry. You don't need to eat anything you don't like (for example, you don't have to force yourself to eat salad because you think its healthy, there are other foods). And you don't have to cut out your favorites. Figure out your "trigger foods" and keep an eye on them when you do eat them.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've got a new mindset where I need and want to lose weight. I have about 130 pounds that I need to lose. My problem is, is that I don't really know what I am suppose to be eating, and what i'm suppose to avoid (besides breads, pasta and potatoes.) I know I can have lots of fruits and veggies. What other items would be good to eat on to lose weight? :smile:

I have an eating disorder called SED (selective eating disorder) and so I can only eat a few foods. I eat those foods and still lose weight. I don't eat fruits or vegetables. I just make sure I stay under my calories and don't go over my carbs.
  • lynseyscott80
    Options
    its more about quantity and moderation that cutting out entire foods.

let my fitness pal calculate your calorie requirements to lose the desired amount of weight and then log your food accurately to stick to it

Exactly this