Where are the guys?

Options

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I go to Goodlife and I do like some of the classes like Bodypump but more often than not I'm the only guy there.

Most of the classes are cardio heavy.

Guys like to press weights and body sculpt and women for the most part are trying to get lean so there are different goals. (just my opinion)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I believe in a classless society.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    They have classes in gyms?

And MFP tells us that men who take classes are nasty old mysoginistic creeps

Well sheet, that explains a lot of things then.

There's quite a few guys in the classes I take at my gym. I've done kickboxing, RIPPED, Zumba, bootcamp classes but it is still predominantly women.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    In the free weight section with the iron. Where else would we be??
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Yeah most of the classes I take are female dominated (minus the whips and leather) I was the only guy in my psychology class way back when I was in college too and was asked EVERY single time for 'what's male opinion on this...' I think I would have rather been taken hostage and tortured than answer most of the time.

Bringing it back to the gym I tend to avoid eye contact and look at the floor, not go too far forwards or too far back in the class, don't get sweat on people, etc etc.

Basically I probably look like Rain Man.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, guys don't take classes. It's the man gene that makes us feel like we don't need anyone to tell us how to workout.

Luckily working out is pretty simple, so for once we're kind of right. But you have fun at Booty BootCamp.

This is probably why most of the men that lift in my gym lift like retards, because they're emotionally incapable of learning from someone else.
    That's not a man thing by the way, it's a 10 year old child thing.
    Hope this helps.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Classes seem to be aimed at the girls - most are dance orientated, and ALL have music

It has nothing to do with thinking we don't need anyone telling us what to do; I'm quite happy taking instruction from my mate who knows his stuff, or from the PTs if I need a bit of advice on form

I'll warm up for deadlifts by doing lighter deadlifts.... not by dancing to Shakira
  • PtheronJr
    Options
    Classes seem to be aimed at the girls - most are dance orientated, and ALL have music

It has nothing to do with thinking we don't need anyone telling us what to do; I'm quite happy taking instruction from my mate who knows his stuff, or from the PTs if I need a bit of advice on form

I'll warm up for deadlifts by doing lighter deadlifts.... not by dancing to Shakira

You're making the fundamental mistake by assuming that dancing to Shakira is less intense than your deadlift warmups, when I'm certain nearly any ballet performer would easily tell you that their routine is significantly more brutal than your typical 3 day a week gym warrior's routine.
    In fact, the mistake you're making is assuming that they work towards the same end.

As a person who was a gymnast for eight long years. Doing silly twirly things on bars stops being cutesy as soon as you feel your muscles screaming from being in a front lever for more than 10 seconds.
  • Wonderob
    Options

You're making the fundamental mistake by assuming that dancing to Shakira is less intense than your deadlift warmups, when I'm certain nearly any ballet performer would easily tell you that their routine is significantly more brutal than your typical 3 day a week gym warrior's routine.
    In fact, the mistake you're making is assuming that they work towards the same end.

As a person who was a gymnast for eight long years. Doing silly twirly things on bars stops being cutesy as soon as you feel your muscles screaming from being in a front lever for more than 10 seconds.

I'm making no mistake at all - I have done a Zumba class, various aerobics classes, body pump, body attack etc etc. I'm well aware that you can put as much or as little into dancing as you want.

Fact is that most girls like to dance - hence the popularity of the classes. Most guys in my experience don't. I certainly don't.

Also I think it's better to warm up using the muscles that I'm about to stress
  • PtheronJr
    Options

I'm making no mistake at all - I have done a Zumba class, various aerobics classes, body pump, body attack etc etc. I'm well aware that you can put as much or as little into dancing as you want.

Fact is that most girls like to dance - hence the popularity of the classes. Most guys in my experience don't. I certainly don't.

Then it's the issue that most men are insecure in their masculinity.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't say that, I would say that the results most men want cannot be found in Zumba classes or what have you.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Eh? How on earth did you reach that conclusion? I like playing football, I hate dancing. Nothing to do with my masculinity
    My wife hates playing football, loves dancing. Is she insecure with her femininity?
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My aerobics class has 40% men. I was pretty surprised seeing such a high number of men. And they are all in the front of the class! :noway:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    No, I wouldn't say that, I would say that the results most men want cannot be found in Zumba classes or what have you.

I agree

And in all honesty, the results that most women want, can't be found in a Zumba class either. Certainly the case for my wife anyway; however she still goes to Zumba for a moderate cardio workout and she really loves doing Zumba!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's the same gene that causes men to never ask for directions.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My aerobics class has 40% men. I was pretty surprised seeing such a high number of men. And they are all in the front of the class! :noway:
    Most probably most of them are well into 40s or 50s or older. India is different in the sense that Yoga isn't thought of as a girl thing, rather it is something traditional that everyone should do and practice (which most don't, including me).
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Because they're lifting like MEN! And I'm lifting with them. :)

+1
  • hellosay
    hellosay Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Most probably most of them are well into 40s or 50s or older. India is different in the sense that Yoga isn't thought of as a girl thing, rather it is something traditional that everyone should do and practice (which most don't, including me).
    It's a dance aerobics class, not yoga. Whatever works, I say.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

wait, you've attended classes, according to the majority of other posts, we need to check your man card!

lol joking