Soups: Low calorie or low sodium, why not both!?

Options
So I'm very fond of Progresso soups; they are as cheap as $1.50/can and I have always enjoyed the taste. The issue is, I can only find either low calorie OR low sodium. I am obviously watching my calories, but also my sodium, so this leads to my current dilemma: which do I buy? Why can't there be a low calorie AND low sodium soup? Are they making up for lost flavor by keeping the salt? I don't get it...

Can anyone recommend me a brand of soup that is both low calorie AND low sodium? Anyone else out there have this problem?

Ultimate win if you can find a low cal/low sodium/BPA FREE brand of soup....that won't break the bank. :)

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to make your own soups? It's pretty easy to accomplish with a big pot, some low sodium chicken broth, and whatever veggies and seasonings you like. You can also add in some chicken breast pieces and yolk-free noodles for a great chicken noodle soup.

It can actually be cheaper to make your own cause it lasts for soooo long. And depending on what you add, both low calorie AND low sodium!
  • vicster9727
    Options
    I agree with Lyadeia... make your own. On Sundays, I usually make a VERY big pot of soup... and freeze it!
    It all freezes well, chicken, vegetable, or beef based and so do the cream soups. You can make soup for a weeks worth of meals, freeze in ziplock bags to save room, or in plastic bowls for easy microwave reheating. That way you can control all ingredients.

I have a ton of soup recipes.... just let me know.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Why can't there be a low calorie AND low sodium soup? Are they making up for lost flavor by keeping the salt? I don't get it...

You're bang-on. Companies overcompensate on the sodium when eliminating the fat, because it's a cheap way to make things taste good.

I'm with everybody else. Add a couple of homemade soup recipes to your arsenal and you're set. Freeze in batches or portion 'em out in the fridge and you're golden. It's pretty much just as convenient as buying pre-made.
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was wanting soup today since it was so cold and snowy. I have made soup for the family before but that was before I watched calories and sodium. I think it would be great to make a couple of soups and freeze them for lunches. Would love to see some favorite healthy soups you can make at home.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I wrote out this recipe for another MFP user the other day:

Corn and potato chowder

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 medium white onion, diced
    1 leek (white & tender light green parts, chopped) make sure the leek is ferociously cleaned of grit
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 stalks of celery, diced
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1/2 tsp fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
    2 bay leaves
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1 cup corn kernels
    2 medium golden potatoes, large dice (I like to leave the peel on)
    1 can coconut milk (about 3/4 cup)
    salt and pepper to taste

Method:
    Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
    Add onion, leek, garlic and celery. Sautee until translucent.
    Add spices to pot. Watch out because they will want to stick and burn. Stir frequently.
    Once your kitchen starts to smell awesome (2 min) add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add corn and potatoes.

OK here's where you can decide to make it a smoother chowder VS a chunkier chowder. I remember in your original post you'd mentioned not really liking to blend things up. If you'd like a smoother chowder, I would only add half of the corn kernels at first. That way you can add the rest of the kernels after processing the soup a bit, so that it's not completely pureed. If you want to forgo any blending that is totally fine- add the whole can of corn and go on your merry way!

If you're using canned corn, I'd add the liquid as well. Waste not, want not.
    Allow the soup to simmer on medium-low heat for about 25 minutes.
    When the potatoes are tender and wonderful, turn the heat way down to low and add in your coconut milk (this is also when you would be blending). Make sure the heat is low so you don't separate the soup, especially if you are using real cream.
    Taste and season appropriately. If you used a broth with sodium added, you might skip the salt. Up to you.

Yields four entree servings, or 6 regular bowls.

*edit: this recipe probably takes all of 45 minutes, total.
  • vicster9727
    Options
    Roasted Veggie Soup:
    2 Red Pepper
    1 Zuchinni Squash
    2 Med Onions
    1 Summer Squash
    Cut veggies into about 1" pieces... place on a cookie sheet, sprinkle your favorite spice (garlic, rosemary, basil) drizzle 1 tablespoon EVO over them. Roast in 425 oven for 10 min.
    Put into soup pot, add
    2 cups fresh mushrooms
    6 links poultry italian sausage - broiled or sauteed and cut into bite size pieces
    2 cups of broth chicken or veg
    2 cups of water
    simmer for 30 min... then the trick is to add seasoning to taste... cinnamon will add a little bite without a burn, rosemary and italian seasoning blend my favorite, garlic my husband's.

This recipe is pretty basic.... change out chicken breast for the sausage, tomatoes and canned tomatoes for the broth.
    What ever you use, put into the recipe section..... calories etc automatically figured out for you. 3/4 to 1 cup good serving size for my family.

The more veggies, the better!

White Chicken Chili:
    2 lb chicken breast broiled, cut into bite size pieces
    1 can cannolini or great northern beans
    packet McCormick's seasoning packet
    3 cup water....
    bring to a boil, simmer on low for 15 - 30 min
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    About making my own soup, I actually have done that before. I would make a huge batch and eat it all week. The problem is, I now live in a house of 5, who all share the same fridge and freezer space. I'm worried about the space this project takes up, but thanks for reminding me. I really enjoyed the soup I used to make!
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    GAH. I honestly would go for low sodium. In my opinion, 40 or 50 more calories won't hurt, but 1000mg of sodium vs. 150 or so makes a huge difference considering recommended daily is like.. under 1k or something.. u should look up the RDA of sodium

But... Generally, I stay away from processed food and make everyrthing from scratch. After i started having trouble with hypertension, I stayed away from fast food and any instant food because it is most likely packed with sodium