How often should I weigh myself?

Options
How often should I weigh myself and at what time for the most accuracy?

Replies

• Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself on a Friday morning every week first thing in the morning after I have been to the loo and naked. But I also do my measurements once a week in the evening (this is a time this) generally a Monday.
  • mom2aeris
    mom2aeris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always do mine right after a morning bathroom trip. I don't tend to be naked, because I started doing it with clothes and want to maintain consistency, but I do notice that there's a pound and a half or so difference when I *am* unclothed. Otherwise, once a week is good. I will forget and do it once ever 5 or 6 days, but don't do it every day. You'll get waaaaay too emotional when you see those water weight numbers bouncing up and down. Or, well, I do. lol.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Most people prefer to weigh themselves once a week but I like to weigh myself every day because I feel this keeps me accountable. I might skip it if I have a cheat day or it's the time of the month (no point seeing that temporary water weight) but otherwise I weigh myself every day right after I wake up in a T-shirt or light PJs.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning. I didn't always do that, but the scale doesn't have the same power it had when I first started 2 years ago.

Watch for the downward trend and don't get bogged down by the day to day fluctuations. This chart is a great illustration of normal weight loss:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    first thing in the morning after bathroom trip, naked = most accurate

How often depends on you and your ability to handle daily fluctuations. Everybody fluctuates, it is natural, and depending on your sixe and lifestyle/habits it can be one lb or several lbs. Alot of people only weight 1x/week or even 1x/month because they do not like to see these fluctuations. I prefer to weight everyday and/or as often as I can. If you do that you have to look at the trend and can't freak out when you go up a lb tomorrow, thats how people drive themselves crazy :)
  • KettyLoyd
    KettyLoyd Posts: 51
    Options
    Before you decide I think it is good to understand why your weight is simultaneously an important and useful measure of progress with. It's good to wait around one week because it helps to be on track while maintaining weight, if you weigh daily then it can distract your mind for your workout and goal.
  • nachtkatze
    Options
    As most of the posters above stated, it's usually suggested 1x a week, preferably on the same day, about the same time of day. It also helps to wear similar clothes/the same outfit you usually do for this activity to give the most accurate recreation of the same setting.
    However, also like most people above, I weigh myself daily. I at least usually try to stick to a similar time of day.