Anyone else try to lose 10 lbs and then take a week off?

Options
I've been trying to lose somewhere between 50-70 lbs for the past few years...yes years. I do really well for about 3-4 months, and then I fall totally off the wagon and revert to my old bad eating habits. Has anyone else tried to set a goal, say 10 lbs lost doing things right (for me, that's 1500 calories + exercise calories if I exercise that day) and then taking a week totally off? By totally off, I don't mean eating 10,000 cals a day or anything, but just not being as strict as on the days when I'm doing things right. I'm trying to find a way to stop losing motivation after several months...

Anyone else have ideas that have worked?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Quit trying to be strict and diet. Set a workable budget, make the foods you like fit the budget and call it a lifestyle change. You can't just diet off the pounds then go back to your old ways as you've found out so you need to work on finding a plan that works for you for life. I incorporate "treats" into my everyday life so it isn't a reason to blow it all.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I do understand that it's a lifestyle change. What you're saying makes sense. I probably am restricting too much and instead of having a small treat end up eating way more than I really "need".

It seems like each time I fall off and get back up, a bad habit does go away. This latest time it was soda/pop. I rarely drink it now whereas before I was having at least 4-5 cans per day. At least that's a postiive I guess.

Thanks for the advice!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't do this on purpose but it happens to me. For example, last week was not only Thanksgiving, but it was my birthday and my best friend from the UK was in town. So Sunday and Monday we celebrated her being in town, Tuesday was normal, Wednesday I prepared for Thanksgiving by baking a ton - drank some wine then too. Thursday was Thanksgiving. Friday we were otu for Margaritas with friends. Saturday we were at my parents for dinner and drinks and then otu for my birthday. I worked out 4 days - less than usual.

It sucked. I did try to do everything in moderation but it wasn't my normal week and wasn't intentional. I can't make excuses. However, I am back on track as of yesterday. And I will restrict myself just a pinch further today and tomorrow to feel better about everything. There is nothing wrong with slipping every now and then but it's the getting back on track that matters. If you intentionally set up a whole week for you to do as you please you will likely regret it.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You should be able to take a day off every few weeks, and a week off every few months.. if you can't do that then either you are restricting yourself or your giving yourself a free pass.. Its all about how bad you want it.
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for over a year. At the beginning every 3 months or so I would eat at TDEE for a week. This past summer, I ate at TDEE for 2 months and focused on body recomp. I still have weight to lose (8 more pounds on the scale) but more than that it's reducing the fat while maintaining my muscle. I really think the breaks (as well as eating at a reasonable deficit) helped with that. They also gave me a good idea what I can expect while in maitenance without going overboard.
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do a week off about every 10 weeks, just a mental holiday from counting calories, I find I still eat well and exercise about as much as when I'm on a diet I just don't have to deal with counting calories. I also find by about the 4 th day off I'm ready to go back on so doesn't take much and its a nice break.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This is actually generally how i get over a plateau. After around 10 lbs or if I seem to stall for a month or so I spend a week at maintenance calories and take one or two more rest (light activities) days than the usual just one. It gives my body a break from the constant strain its under from training and it gives it sort of a re-feed. I find that after I do this within a week of going back to deficit and normal workout routine I get a woosh of a couple pounds just melt off.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I think diet breaks are important, especially is you have a lot to lose. BUT, I'm really discovering that to be truly successful in keeping the weight off, I need to readjust my thinking about food. For as long as I held on to the belief that I would eventually be "done" with dieting, I could not maintain my losses.

Once I started changing my mindset, it got a lot easier. Food does not have the control it once did. It's still a struggle some days - but not near the disaster it used to be. Eating at your TDEE is not going to be a problem. That's what you will be doing in maintenance. But, I will never eat willy nilly again. I know I can't. As a matter of fact - I don't want to anymore and that is a great feeling.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling the need for days "off" from your lifestyle, you may be doing it wrong :ohwell: . You need to find sustainable life habits. Not a diet :noway: that is making you feel that you need a break!

If you have a lifestyle you can sustain and a way of eating/exercise habits that you maintain consistently, you should never feel like you need a break. That being said, I recognize that we all go off the plan once in a while. I don't ever feel like I need a break -- it's a mindset. I allow myself to do and eat as I please. Yes - I absolutely eat within a calorie range and try to always burn more than I eat, but I do have days where I am over. I call it life, not a break.

** This works for me. I would always encourage anyone else to do what works for them! :smile:
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    every so often i fancy some fast food so i have some!, i maintain my weight by eating maintenance calories if im having a few greedy days, anythings better than gaining if you fancy being a bit naughty! planning a 'week off' is only going to set your mind on being greed and possibly gaining and losing motivation.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Over time, I've found that the most effective way for me to lose weight is in "spurts." I'll lose 5 or 10 pounds, then maintain for a while. Sometimes 3-6 months. That time seems to give me a mental break from paying as close of attention to what I eat, and it seems to give my body a break from the stress of losing weight. It also seems to help my weight stabilize, so if I do go off the rails for a while, I don't pile back on the pounds like I used to.

I know there's some controversy over whether or not we actually have "set points," but it feels like my body is adjusting to the weight and creating a new set point. There are a lot of hormonal changes that occur with weight loss, and when you lose a lot, your body can fight to put it back on (lower lepton/higher ghrelin makes you hungrier, lower NEAT, etc.). My personal theory is that breaks help mitigate that.

I think you should do whatever you feel works for you to lose the weight and keep it off.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think diet breaks are important, especially is you have a lot to lose. BUT, I'm really discovering that to be truly successful in keeping the weight off, I need to readjust my thinking about food. For as long as I held on to the belief that I would eventually be "done" with dieting, I could not maintain my losses.

Once I started changing my mindset, it got a lot easier. Food does not have the control it once did. It's still a struggle some days - but not near the disaster it used to be. Eating at your TDEE is not going to be a problem. That's what you will be doing in maintenance. But, I will never eat willy nilly again. I know I can't. As a matter of fact - I don't want to anymore and that is a great feeling.

All of this.
  • barnybyrd
    barnybyrd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day, that's the day I have some nice dessert. I eat sweets daily but they are fruits so they don't really qualify for sweets even though they taste that way.