Lap Band

Options

Replies

• joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    Options
    Just wanted to say that the LapBand does not rearrange any body parts it's a band placed around the stomach to make it smaller vs removing a portion, this is the reason its completely reversible. Not here to argue but I wanted to clarify the facts.
    [/quote]

Like I said my mind is unchangeable, any form of vanity surgery is not needed.

Just my opinion.
    [/quote]

Wasn't trying to change your mind at all , just wanted you to know that she didn't "rearrange her body parts".
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    A free surgery won by a contest?????? That sounds scary to me....
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    speechless. I'm glad I don't have to meet you face to face because you're a b.i.t.c.h.

Perhaps I am when it comes to this subject.

but a ***** in a bikini at least, hows the WLS working out for you? Wheres your bathing suit pic?

Honestly I went from morbidly obese to bikini ready all on my own, alot of people have done it, as u could have.

But u didnt, u chose to cheat.

It's working great, thanks. I'm at my lowest weight in over 10 years, I'm running 15+ miles a week and lifting weight I never imagined possible, I'm sleeping well, and my sex life rocks. I don't post bathing suit pics online.

Congratulations on your weight loss and quitting smoking. I did that too and it was hard.

You can have all the opinions you want on WLS or anything else. Your personal attacks, however, are out of line.

cheers :smile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    speechless. I'm glad I don't have to meet you face to face because you're a b.i.t.c.h.

but a ***** in a bikini at least, hows the WLS working out for you? Wheres your bathing suit pic?

Honestly I went from morbidly obese to bikini ready all on my own, alot of people have done it, as u could have.

It's not a bathing suit competition, you know - or any sort of competition, no-one is cheating because they don't follow your rules for weight loss.

Your comments on this do seem very OTT.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    10 years after having mine, I wish I would have never, ever, ever... EVER had it.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I think it is a great opportunity. If this is something you have thought about, but didn't do it because of your insurance, I say go for it. My sister in law had it done and has no problems with it and has done great.
    And, it isn't a quick fix like people think. You still have to work at what you eat and need to exercise. But it is a very helpful tool in getting started on the right track for some people.
    Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I would also say, asking advice on here is probably not the best thing to do. If you want advice, go to one of the meetings they have for the patients in your area that have had the surgery and ask their advice.
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Also the surgery is DIRTY

they cut you open and tamper with your insides. Personally I think it is SELFISH for anyone to do it.

[/quote]

By your reasoning an appendectomy, or a gall bladder removal, or cardiac bypass or any other life saving operation is SELFISH.

My question is, who appointed you the supreme being who gets to decide who has what done to their body? I'm not particularly in favor of WLS as a person I love dearly is still suffering the complications of his operation. But I still believe that it is everyone's right to decide what they need to do for their own body.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options

It's not a bathing suit competition, you know - or any sort of competition, no-one is cheating because they don't follow your rules for weight loss.

Your comments on this do seem very OTT.

It is not a competition

and they arent MY rules

calorie defecit = weight loss

you can do it the natural healthy way

or cheat and get invasive surgery and risk your life and your future

and if the surgery is SO successful show me all your before and afters and a bathing suit picture.

I don't see doing it the 'non natural' way ie WLS, as cheating.

It's not a competition so not sure how the cheating term applies. Even if it is the easy way ( which I wouldn't agree with anyway) so what? There are no awards for doing things the hard way.

I don't get your obsession with wanting to see people's bathing suit pics- it isn't everyone's aim to be a bikini model anyway.
    It wasn't mine - my aim was just to get myself into healthy weight range.
    Not sure why you asked for my bathing suit pics at all - I have never been obese, never had WLS nor been a candidate for it.

But I do think it can have a place for morbidly over weight people, especially those with co morbidities.

I do think your vitriolic comments were uncalled for and personal attacks - not at me, but at anyone who has had WLS and particularly at Sabrina, who was just giving constructive information relevant to the OP.
  • CiarasJourney
    Options
    My mother got the "slim band" surgery two years ago, she was 200 pounds at 5' 5'' and managed to lose 70 pounds in one year, also always struggled with fad diets. Although she is much thinner now, she still eats terribly, cannot eat many foods ie (pasta, sushi, any soft drink, rice) because it gets stuck trying pass down to her stomach. She also has managed to gain BACK 20 pounds... She still is miserable about her weight and can barely eat... It doesn't seem worth it. Seeing what she has gone through... also the surgery was up to $20,000! It does not teach you exercise and proper nutrition. It may work for some people, but be careful you can still gain from having it, and after seeing her go through daily life. It's much cheaper etch do eat proper and exercise.
    Not saying don't do it but, there is no guarantee the weight will stay away forever..
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My mother got the "slim band" surgery two years ago, she was 200 pounds at 5' 5'' and managed to lose 70 pounds in one year, also always struggled with fad diets. Although she is much thinner now, she still eats terribly, cannot eat many foods ie (pasta, sushi, any soft drink, rice) because it gets stuck trying pass down to her stomach. She also has managed to gain BACK 20 pounds... She still is miserable about her weight and can barely eat... It doesn't seem worth it. Seeing what she has gone through... also the surgery was up to $20,000! It does not teach you exercise and proper nutrition. It may work for some people, but be careful you can still gain from having it, and after seeing her go through daily life. It's much cheaper etch do eat proper and exercise.
    Not saying don't do it but, there is no guarantee the weight will stay away forever..

Maybe encourage your mother to seek counseling to learn how to eat properly. Most of our "food issues" are in our heads not our stomachs. I'm not familiar with the "slim band," but it sounds like it's too tight. Your mother should probably make an appt with her surgeon to discuss these problems and have it adjusted. She doesn't have to be miserable. Look at my diary -- there's nothing I can't eat with my band.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I appreciated all of the input I got. So if anyone is interested, here is an update. I have decided against the surgery. Several reasons played a part in this decision. One was that I was losing sleep over it. My biggest thing was that my husband did NOT support this. At the time when I signed up for this free surgery (come to find out I would have to pay for the protein shakes, blood work, chest x-ray AND an EKG) I did not mention it to him. Guess I never thought I would win, so it was pointless to tell him. So I went to the pre-op appointment, and the nurse who did vitals and stuff asked me what meds I was on. I said none. She said, all the prescription meds you're on. Again, nothing. And a third time, all the "prescribed" medications your doctor is giving you. (like I was too stupid to understand the question the first time!!) I told her once again, no meds, and so she said so where is your cpap? I don't have one, I tell her. I had surgery for a deviated septum in my nose. She then take my blood pressure which was an amazing 110/65. She looks shocked, and says this is the first time I've had a patient that didn't have a multitude of conditions as well as high blood pressure. This kind of nagged at me a bit, making me question the reason for this surgery. I am very healthy, with the exception of my weight. I have perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar levels are normal. So why am I doing this? I talk to a friend, who advises me against it, as his wife is a surgical nurse. Came home and started having the same conversation with my husband, and he snidely says, "why are you asking my opinion now? You haven't cared about my thoughts up to this point." That really hurt. So we sat down, and talked, and talked!! He said he would like me to lose weight for my joints, feet etc..but not because I want to look good in a cute dress. He said he'd rather work with me and lose weight himself and we could do it together. I asked if I could have his and our kids' complete support, and he tells me I've always had it.

Just knowing that my physical appearance isn't the most important thing in our relationship has made a huge difference in my decision to not do this. Now I feel I have a new lease on life, and am recommitting myself (and him!) to getting HEALTHIER!!

Thanks to all who were honest with me, and gave your input. Thanks for reading.
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wait...what? A contest?? Red flag! Red flag! Your insurance should cover it if you're eligible, and if you're not eligible, maybe you don't need lap band surgery in the first place. Just how overweight are you? They already scheduled surgery for you without ever having met you???

I had lap band surgery two years ago, but not before months and months and months of counseling, medical screening, nutrition classes, a workout routine, etc. I worked (and still work) with a therapist, a dietitian, a physical trainer, and my surgeon. You can't just walk in for a pre-op, ask a few questions, and waltz into the operating room!

If I were you, I'd cancel the appointment and do some research...and then do some thinking...and then more research and more thinking.

I second this motion! I WOULD NOT do lap band...why? You can easily stretch your stomach back out if you are not in the right mindset,,,, and if you can get in the right mindset, then why get the surgery?
  • JassiBear
    JassiBear Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I appreciated all of the input I got. So if anyone is interested, here is an update. I have decided against the surgery. Several reasons played a part in this decision. One was that I was losing sleep over it. My biggest thing was that my husband did NOT support this. At the time when I signed up for this free surgery (come to find out I would have to pay for the protein shakes, blood work, chest x-ray AND an EKG) I did not mention it to him. Guess I never thought I would win, so it was pointless to tell him. So I went to the pre-op appointment, and the nurse who did vitals and stuff asked me what meds I was on. I said none. She said, all the prescription meds you're on. Again, nothing. And a third time, all the "prescribed" medications your doctor is giving you. (like I was too stupid to understand the question the first time!!) I told her once again, no meds, and so she said so where is your cpap? I don't have one, I tell her. I had surgery for a deviated septum in my nose. She then take my blood pressure which was an amazing 110/65. She looks shocked, and says this is the first time I've had a patient that didn't have a multitude of conditions as well as high blood pressure. This kind of nagged at me a bit, making me question the reason for this surgery. I am very healthy, with the exception of my weight. I have perfect cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar levels are normal. So why am I doing this? I talk to a friend, who advises me against it, as his wife is a surgical nurse. Came home and started having the same conversation with my husband, and he snidely says, "why are you asking my opinion now? You haven't cared about my thoughts up to this point." That really hurt. So we sat down, and talked, and talked!! He said he would like me to lose weight for my joints, feet etc..but not because I want to look good in a cute dress. He said he'd rather work with me and lose weight himself and we could do it together. I asked if I could have his and our kids' complete support, and he tells me I've always had it.

Just knowing that my physical appearance isn't the most important thing in our relationship has made a huge difference in my decision to not do this. Now I feel I have a new lease on life, and am recommitting myself (and him!) to getting HEALTHIER!!

Good luck on your journey :)!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Now THIS ^^^ is what I call a happy ending

Good luck OP :flowerforyou:
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ADVICE?!

DONT DO IT

it is a dirty surgery, a cheaters way to weight loss, an american made "quick fix"

Do you now almost all WLS patients GAIN their orignal weight back plus more after about 5 - 10 years?

And why? Because they did not incorporate a life style change!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

DO NOT

tamper with the beautiful body God gave you, fix it on your own through will power and nourishing foods, and learning to live a healthier lifestyle that will take through the rest of your life...

please dont do this..........

that is my advice.

+1

Why don't you ask if you can trade the surgery for a new wardrobe and work your *** off to hit your goals and fit into the clothes. If I can man up and lose 160 lbs without it then anyone can. You just have to want it bad enough.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

:drinker:

ETA: I did it the old fashion way. If i can do it, so can you. good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've recently won a "contest" for free lap band from a very reputable doctor here in central Illinois. I have yo-yo dieted for a few years, losing 40, gaining 20, losing 10, gaining 30. You know the drill. I entered this contest figuring there was no way in heck I'd win, so when they called me to tell me I was a finalist, it blew me away. Then to find out 2 days later I was the winner, I think I'm still in a state of shock.

I go in for pre-op today, and surgery is scheduled for the 3rd. I would appreciate any words of wisdom, advice, good or bad anyone
    would please share with me.

My goal is to lose at least 90 lbs, no more than 100lbs.

Thanks for any help.

I hope that appt goes well for you.

I would want to know a lot about
    ~the Anesthesiologist
    ~pain medicine after the surgery

In one of your posts your mentioned "removal."
    Talk to the MD about that. I am pretty sure that it is considered permanent.

Also ask about side effects of living with the lap band.

Good luck.

I agree about being informed re: the anesthesiologist, considering a small mistake can make you dead.

As for pain meds, I was offered percocet but I never took it. I filled the script just in case, but the pain was so minimal that I never felt the need to take it, or anything else for that matter. I left the hospital the same day as the surgery (granted, they said that was unusual) and I felt normal within a day a or two. Of course people have different reactions and thresholds to pain, so...

I appreciate that you have spelled everything out so nicely.