Excercise For Someone With Physical Disability

Options
Hey.
I have a physical disability that affects my arms, they are very weak and very little movement. Im looking to lose a few pounds for summer and have changed my diet but nothing is really happening. The only excercise I can do correctly is squats and walking and even this is only limited as my disability affects my right ankle. I have tried Sit ups but cant support my neck and then I get neck pain.

Any ideas or equipment that might help?
:smile:

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you changed about your diet, but i hope it involved a reduction in calories. Keeping carbs low and protein high can help too.

Keep doing the squats, and try speed squats too (squats done quickly). Situps don't do much so skip them. Maybe get an exercise bike from a thrift shop or Craigslist?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Can you swim?
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have MS and have a damaged right side of my body as a result. The best thing I did when I really wanted to start getting active was to go to a physical therapist. He evaluated the imbalance between my sides and assigned me exercises that I could do to help to tone muscle groups that my usual exercise routine was missing. As long as I keep up with the exercises, the disparity between my left and right sides is now all but negligible. I don't know if you have the type of disability that physical activity will affect or improve, but a physical therapist could help to evaluate your exercise plan with you.

I also initially broke up my exercise into shorter bursts, which helped to avoid exhausting my right side muscles. Swimming and water aerobics also did wonders for me, because both allowed me to reduce the weight on my injured side while exercising. Swimming might work well for you too, if you have access to a pool.

If you're focused on weight loss, remember that diet has a much more profound effect than limited cardio work.

Best of luck, send me a friend request if you'd like!
  • Kneeveh
    Kneeveh Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all yer help. I can swim but wouldn't be the strongest, but I'll pop into my local swimming pool and see what they offer, they also have a gym so i'll ask about what equipment that I'd be able to use. My diet is very similar to slimming worlds so it is calorie reduced.