Eye Opener... finally!

Options
kaylitaa
kaylitaa Posts: 4 Member
Today was an eye opener. I was asked by my daughter's teacher when I was due, and I am NOT pregnant. How embarrassing! Maybe this is what I needed to motivate me to eat better and healthier. I knew I have gained weight in the past few years but not THAT much weight. I can finally see how much my weight gain has affected me as a person, how others see me, and I don't like it at all. What was everyone's first step to success? I don't want to rush anything, but I am SO ready for a change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• kmkylemo
    kmkylemo Posts: 1,103
    Options
    I had a similar eye opener but not by my daughter's teach but by my daughter herself. She got 2 cookies to eat and she ate them and then wanted more and I told her she didn't need to eat too many cookies or she would get a fat tummy and then she looked at me and said like you daddy. I then realized how much I had gained and how I wasn't "practicing what I preached" when it came to staying in shape. My first step was figuring out what workouts I was going to do which I decided on P90X. Then I looked at how many calories I was supposed to have and kind of plugged in the food before I ate to see how many calories I was using.
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh that's harsh! I hate that someone would say something like that, but I'm glad you're starting on your journey.

My advice is to log every day, and build a network of buddies. Following their progress (but not striving for the same) and having them as support makes a big difference!
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to weigh your food accurately and log what you eat; for me that was an eye opener when I realised exactly how much I was consuming and seeing it all written in black and white really hammers it home! Good luck on your journey :-) everyone on here is really supportive and full of good tips and hints x
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I was a junior in high school. I went for my physical. During the course of the appointment, the doctor said she'd clear me to play this year, but if I didn't get some weight off I wouldn't be able to keep playing. She also had me tested for a few diseases that can sometimes be caused by obesity (high blood sugar, diabetes, high blood pressure). It sucked to have all that done at a mere 16 years old. I vowed then and there to not let that be my way of life.
  • Megttttt
    Megttttt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That totally happened to me! "When's the baby due?" and I said, "oh, about five years or so, AFTER I find a husband." :sad:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What was everyone's first step to success?
    My first step was to start logging my calories - enter your info and goals accurately and realistically into MFP to get your daily calorie goal. Then start tracking your food - every bite that goes into your mouth gets weighed or measured and logged. If you don't have a food scale, consider picking one up - they are not expensive and a great tool to have.

Remember that goal means GOAL - you want to aim to meet or come very close to your daily calorie goal - don't think that by coming in way under you'll get quicker results. You don't want to over-eat, but you don't want to be under eating either. The goal you're given has you at a deficit - meaning eat to goal every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. If you exercise, log it and eat at least a portion of those cals back - you'll still be in a deficit, but no risk of under eating, and less chance of crashing and burning after a week or too because you're hungry, tired, and ready to quit.

Each day or at the end of the week, look back over your diary, see where you did well, and where you could make better choices. Don't beat yourself up over any of it - this is a learning process, and it takes time to form new habits. And every day is a new day to do better than the day before.

Eat your cals, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, and have patience. Good luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady has been best for me.

And logging and finding accountability partners.

I'm also finding that since I'm not doing this for "other people" I'm happier. But now those "other people" are saying that I'm an inspiration. I am my own inspiration.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Slow and steady has been best for me.

And logging and finding accountability partners.

I'm also finding that since I'm not doing this for "other people" I'm happier. But now those "other people" are saying that I'm an inspiration. I am my own inspiration.

I second this....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    That totally happened to me! "When's the baby due?" and I said, "oh, about five years or so, AFTER I find a husband." :sad:

Reminds me of a funny retort by Australian Politician George Reid:

Reid's career was aided by his quick wit and entertaining oratory; he was described as being "perhaps the best platform speaker in the Empire", both amusing and informing his audiences "who flocked to his election meetings as to popular entertainment". In one particular incident his quick wit and affinity for humour were demonstrated when a heckler pointed to his ample paunch and exclaimed "What are you going to call it, George?" to which Reid replied: "If it's a boy, I'll call it after myself. If it's a girl I'll call it Victoria. But if, as I strongly suspect, it's nothing but piss and wind, I'll name it after you."

(copypasta from wikipedia)
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    Sorry about that. I made that mistake ONCE about 20 years ago. I asked a lady when she was due and she wasn't pregnant. I knew her, too. I felt SO TERRIBLE. I cannot imagine what that did to her. I still feel bad. Now, I NEVER EVER ask or say a thing no matter how pregnant someone looks. I wait. Better to wait than hurt someone badly.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Today was an eye opener. I was asked by my daughter's teacher when I was due, and I am NOT pregnant. How embarrassing! Maybe this is what I needed to motivate me to eat better and healthier. I knew I have gained weight in the past few years but not THAT much weight. I can finally see how much my weight gain has affected me as a person, how others see me, and I don't like it at all. What was everyone's first step to success? I don't want to rush anything, but I am SO ready for a change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I worked in a clothing store for a while and on TWO separate occasions, TWO DIFFERENT female customers placed a hand on my stomach and asked when I was due. I've never had children. The first time I passed it off as rude and stupid, but the second time, I went in to a stall in the restroom and cried.
    You've conquered the first hurdle - deciding to make a change. For me, small changes are what worked, not a big, life-changing overhaul all at once. Every one of us is different. Don't be afraid to try new things and find what works for you.
    You can do it!!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My first step was to just log what I was eating. I didn't even know what to change yet but I just started with that. It helps to see where the calories are coming from. I didn't add exercise for at least a month. Needed to get the intake figured out first.

Good luck, OP.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    One of my rules of life......"Never ask a woman about her baby unless she is holding it." :)

Great start coming here! As someone who "knows" what it takes for me but doesn't always follow it, I have found that the food tracking has been the most helpful at this point. I try not to get too obsessed about it, but I am committed to being honest to myself about how many calories I am eating each day. The accountability factor has been good for me.

Good luck on your journey!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I looked at the scale and realized I was about to hit the range I had been in the 9th month of my first pregnancy. And that had been a 50 pound pregnancy!

All gone down - I am now down to my wedding weight - 33 years ago. I look in the mirror and see the person who used to look back at me.
  • triciaborchardt
    Options
    Hi nxd10, I hope you can help me do the same. I'm coming up on my 32nd wedding anniversary this year. I have about 40 lb. to go so hopefully I will hit my wedding weight or close by next year.
  • princesswarrior1
    princesswarrior1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, it was goals that feel obtainable to me. Like lose a pound a week, can I meet the calorie goal without starving myself, and a certain weight without killing myself. This is a lifestyle change not a quick fix to fit into a dress for an event.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Good Luck.

Wow. That was crazy though. I wouldn't ask a woman if she was pregnant if her water broke in front of me.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,217 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My first step was to log HONESTLY. Once I realized how much I was eating, I made changes. The BEST thing you can do is to be honest with yourself. The second best thing is to understand that you are running a marathon, not a sprint. Putting the weight on did not happen overnight (or in a month or two). Getting it off isn't going to happen over night either. Celebrate your successes, but don't let missteps derail you. Missteps will happen. It isn't a failure if you get back up and keep at it.

:flowerforyou:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I got asked once if I was pregnant.

I was in a bad mood anyway and this just p!ssed me off so I said, "I'm not, I'm just fat."

The person was very embarrassed. Good. That was my intention. You never ask a woman if they are pregnant.