Anyone else have massive leap on scales after drinking?

Options
Hi,

I signed up with a PT 4 weeks ago to sort out my exercise and diet. So far it's has been working really well. He even incorporated alcohol in me. I've been steadily losing 2/3 ibs a week.

However, I had birthday drinks and a protein meal yesterday and some drinks for work on Tuesday but matched my workout accordingly.

I know you don't burn fat the next day after drinking alcohol but this morning my scales showed I'd gained half a stone! Anyone else have this happen to them? Is the wagon the only way? Could it be because my diet is low processed carb, high protein and fat?

Thanks, Ciara

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's just water retention and it will go away. Just be patient.
    I know you don't burn fat the next day after drinking alcohol

What?! I don't think that's true. Screams broscience to me.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I normally do too.. a friend of mind had a good theory. When I drink alcohal I also drink a ton of water to counter act any hangoverss (dehydration) so it is most probably water weight... Just like has already been mentioned.

You will be fine :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Yes, water retention, certainly. Alcohol can play all sorts of games with the balance of water in your body. No biggie.

It's true that, while your body has alcohol in it, it will burn all of the alcohol before returning to burning the food you've consumed and/or your fat stores for energy, but that's only until the alcohol has been processed out of your body. It would take an awful lot of booze for that to take an entire day.
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes - and for me, beer is the worst!
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I lose the next day, probably due to dehydration. My lowest weight always shows up on Saturday mornings LOL! Your body doesn't process the food in your body till the alcohol is processed out, so it shouldn't take a whole day for that to happen. You probably are retaining water, if you stayed under your calorie goal, you did not gain weight.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options

ohhhhh god i love beer. and i can't drink it. i just... get fat. :( i wish i had never developed a taste for it. i pine for the days when i thought beer was gross!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah I drank 5 12 oz beers and the next day the scale showed 6 pound gain. Took a week for the scale to go back to normal.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I always way less after a night of drinking,

I imagine its because I'm dehydrated. In any case, I'd refrain from trying to figure out any scale fluctuations til any alcohol is out of your system a while. It's not fair to try and make sense of it after drinking.
  • 2PieceNow
    2PieceNow Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had a huge weight loss but I notice on the weeks i drink (and it can be thursday- sunday a couple glasses of wine) I can gain 3 lbs even though I continue to exercise! I think some of us process sugar better then others! I know some people on here say a calorie is a calorie but I would argue with them. I know if I cut out sugar I lose weight plain and simple!!!
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    when you drink alcohol, you are essentially poisoning your body. your body has to focus on removing the toxins and so doesn't have time to process your fat stores. stop drinking alcohol !
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

↑↑↑ That and the cure to world hunger :wink:

It is just water retention, I rarely drink but the few weekends I have, I lose a larger chunk of weight the following Tuesday. So my broscience thought is ......Beer/liquor diets all the way!
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    when you drink alcohol, you are essentially poisoning your body. your body has to focus on removing the toxins and so doesn't have time to process your fat stores. stop drinking alcohol !

Process your fat stores :noway:

Fat is energy, if your body needs more energy than you consumed...it will take it, drunk or not. Now a lot of alcohol is high carb and calorie, so your body may not need to tap into its energy storage (fat).

Bodies are greedy and believe it or not can multitask, plus a healthy liver handles the alcohol so the rest of the body can do its thing.

Is this Broscience Friday !?!!

It is Friday the 13th....damn
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I mostly see a decrease the next day too. Then again, I make sure I drink a TON of water and if I'm drinking I'm usually dancing or walking around a lot. It's rare for me to just sit around and get drunk anymore.

And the moon is full. Double screwed
  • _KitKat_
    Options
    I mostly see a decrease the next day too. Then again, I make sure I drink a TON of water and if I'm drinking I'm usually dancing or walking around a lot. It's rare for me to just sit around and get drunk anymore.

And the moon is full. Double screwed

Very scary :angry:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I usually have a massive drop because of dehydration.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

False. Once you're sober, your body is finished metabolizing alcohol. It doesn't effect your metabolism the next day in that respect. Unless you're like me and drink so much that you're still drunk the next morning. It can effect your metabolism the next day only if you're less active from being hungover.

You're probably just retaining water.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options

ohhhhh god i love beer. and i can't drink it. i just... get fat. :( i wish i had never developed a taste for it. i pine for the days when i thought beer was gross!

Heinekin Light. 99 cals :)