Lazy in the heat

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
London has all of a sudden gone super hot. I don't have AC inside and I've been walking around doing errands, and I'm super sweaty and tired the moment I get inside.
Problem is, I don't lose appetite in the heat. I just move less.

I've heard others say that they eat less during summer and naturally lose weight. I don't find this to be the case at all! Anyone suffering through the same?

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    When I didn't have A/C I'd end up going to the gym more because it had A/C. Even if it meant walking on the treadmill or using the stationary bike for a long period of time at a lower speed. I'd do normal workouts too but spending extra time in the A/C was really nice and I could read, listen to music, listen to books, etc. while walking and biking.

Just forcing yourself to go out there and exercise will give you more energy that the heat likes to sap. Drink extra water and try fruits and veggies with lots of water to keep you full. Melons and cucumbers are my personal favorite.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Me too, this heat is awful too hot to do anything.
    I am gonna do my DVD later in tonight when it's cooled down a bit just so I do it and don't miss another day, also have you tried chopping up watermelon and keeping it in the fridge it's lovely and refreshing in this heat and also it's a lot better than munching in ice lollies, ice cream etc....
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am gonna do my DVD later in tonight when it's cooled down a bit just so I do it and don't miss another day, also have you tried chopping up watermelon and keeping it in the fridge it's lovely and refreshing in this heat and also it's a lot better than munching in ice lollies, ice cream etc....

I have watermelon, however it turned into a watermelon-gin-tonic. Oh well.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

I have watermelon, however it turned into a watermelon-gin-tonic. Oh well.

I think I'm going to try that tomorrow! I live in Texas, and I exercise outside primarily. I do slack off every summer. Making matters worse, I drink more in the summer. Margaritas, in particular. 1/3 lime, 1/3 contreau, 1/3 tequila. Mmmmm. Not bad with watermelon, either. Hell to pay come fall.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hydrate.
    In Florida we stay inside between 2:00 and 4:30 when the heat is the worst. Run cold water over the inside of the elbow -- it cools the rest of the body.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Sleep-Comfortably-on-a-Hot-Night
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I live in hot Las Vegas, NV.
    The heat def wipes out my appetite. I try to eat lot's during the night to make up for it.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've got heat and humidity over here. The thing is, a little goes a long way in summer, so fighting through the laziness (and believe me, I've gone weeks avoiding exercise in the heat) is worth it even for running outside. But it's better to go in the evening or early morning. I'm going to try to go this evening, in fact, though the lazy fairy (read: my brain) is quite content to wallow.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I get lazy in the heat and my appetite decreases somewhat. I crave things like fresh fruit and vegetable salads instead of the heavier stuff I tend to favor in the colder months.