Barbell Exercises I can do at Home

Options
Hey guys!

My boyfriend and I have a barbell at home, but no bench or anything like that.

We've been doing bending rows, thrusters and mini-bench presses by laying on the floor.

Any ideas about more exercises I can do with this barbell or links to sites that show more that I can do without a bench?

I used Google to look around a bit, and found a little, but hit some road blocks (sites wanting me to pay to be a member *eyeroll*).

I'm pretty darn new to lifting...

Thanks!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    clean and press, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, curls, shoulder shrugs, if you clean the bar up to your chest you can do OHP.

btw the mini-bench press you referred to is more commonly know as floor-bench
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Squats and everything BigT said.

When you do get a bench and some weights, you'll want to look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting.
  • aubs0730
    aubs0730 Posts: 1
    Options
    have you heard of body pump? it's a barbell class and you can get it on DVD and do it from home....very fun!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Kegels
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    T-bar rows
    reverse grip bent rows
    REALLY second the Romanian Deadlifts
    Squat to overhead press
    (basically combine what BigT said into compound lifts for variation)
    lunges w/the bar on shoulders (or pressed over head, if can)
    step ups w/bar on shoulders (onto steps, a chair, etc.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You could always build yourself a squat rack or power cage. And maybe a bench - if nothing else, make something sturdy to lie on for "real" bench presses.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    power cleans
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    have you heard of body pump? it's a barbell class and you can get it on DVD and do it from home....very fun!

no it's not
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    clean and press, deadlifts, romanian deadlifts, curls, shoulder shrugs, if you clean the bar up to your chest you can do OHP.

btw the mini-bench press you referred to is more commonly know as floor-bench

^ This and more!

I also include barbell lunges and lotsa, lotsa squats! Barbell training is great for all-body compound movements! My core loves it!

I use exrx.net and Youtube videos on form and explanations. But you can google everything you need/want to know about barbell lifts (including the programs _dracarys_ mentioned).
  • maureensome
    Options
    Have you gone on you tube I find lots if help there. Hope this helps you. keep putting in different things and see.:happy:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I use exrx.net and Youtube videos on form and explanations. But you can google everything you need/want to know about barbell lifts (including the programs _dracarys_ mentioned).

This reminded me - bodybuilding.com has videos for many (most?) exercises. You can sort by equipment. As such, you can look at all their barbell videos and see what you can do.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Kegels

The mental image from that made my day. That would be some serious pelvic floor muscles that could do kegels with a barbell! :laugh:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Learn to master both the deadlift and the power clean before you worry about other exercises. These two exercises teach you to be able to safely get a loaded barbell from the floor up to your chest. Once you have that down you can start incorporating the barbell row, overhead press, and front squat in. Get those in and you're golden.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Alrighty!

Thanks for a starting point!

I will Google the names of these exercises, look at how they go and work them into our lifting routines.

I'll also visit the recommended websites!

Also, I never thought of Kegels but that's brilliant! Last night after our workout I was sore all over from head to toe and my BF was all like "Part of you isn't sore yet..."

So.. that didn't last long.

:bigsmile: