HORRIBLE Weigh In this week.

Options
Scientifically, based on calories in/calories out - I know that I shouldn't have gained this week. I ate well, busted my butt at the gym all week, and my trainer TORE ME UP on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm terribly sore and retaining soooo much water.

I understand these things, but boy is it a mind *kitten* to be up 5.1 lbs.

:o(

I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and I know things will even out at some point; but, today, I feel like a water balloon.

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Start drinking water so your body gets rid of what it is holding on to.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 3,500x5 this week, you did not gain 5lbs. Most likely water weight. Don't stress. It's just a number.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If it's only one week, I wouldn't worry about it or put too much value into the number of a one week weigh in. I weigh myself once a week but focus on trends every 4 weeks at a time.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I know that is rough....but you seem to have the right mind set and are able to look at it logically....increase your water consumption...and maybe give the scale another go in a few days....keep up the faith!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    its pretty common to see alot of water weight gain after a hard workout that youre not used to. as others have said give it a couple weeks and im willing to bet that you will be down below a couple pounds (provided you keep to your deficit) where you were before the workout
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    are you about to get your period?
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your monthly cycle? Do you normally retain a lot of water at that time? I know each of us ladies tends to retain water at different times, if we do at all. It could very well have just been the one day that you were up that much. Consider doing a follow up weigh in in a couple of days. Days like this are the whole reason I try to weigh in more often than just once a week. I hate for my weigh in day to be that one terrible day!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Totally know what you mean and I hate those days too... especially when they conincide with weigh days! I also know it's a mind ****, but at least you are rational about it. You know what caused the gain, you know it'll go away, and you probably know it'll happen again from time to time :flowerforyou:
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm not due to start my period for another 8 days or so. I usually do retain a lot of water around that time, but I feel like it's a little too early for that.

I know it's from my work out - my biceps are visibly swollen. Logically, I know that it's just a number and I know it will get better.

It's crazy how the scale can have so much power over your emotions. I've had an extremely stressful week between work and my personal life, so this was just kind of the last straw, lol!!
  • Tla0126
    Options
    BTW - thank y'all for the encouraging words and advice - it really helps!
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I weigh myself every day so I can relate to how you feel about the scale going up; I see it ALL the time. However, as long as you are still trending down with your weight you are doing great!!

The worst for me was when I went away for the Memorial Day weekend, didn't weigh myself for 3 days and ate lots of sodium filled foods (along with a TON of alcohol) .....I gained 7 fu*king lbs!!!!!

Just keep up the good work!!
  • Tla0126
    Options
    I weigh myself every day so I can relate to how you feel about the scale going up; I see it ALL the time. However, as long as you are still trending down with your weight you are doing great!!

The worst for me was when I went away for the Memorial Day weekend, didn't weigh myself for 3 days and ate lots of sodium filled foods (along with a TON of alcohol) .....I gained 7 fu*king lbs!!!!!

Just keep up the good work!!

Thanks for relating!!! It's ridiculous!

I need to carry y'all around in my pocket as my pep squad! :o)
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's crazy how the scale can have so much power over your emotions. I've had an extremely stressful week between work and my personal life, so this was just kind of the last straw, lol!!
    God yes. I've barely seen any movement the last couple of weeks. And although I feel great about the changes I'm making in my life and all, it still makes me want throw on my fat sweatpants, chug some wine, and eat some ice cream while watching Buffy.
  • fayetinii
    fayetinii Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try to think positive, just think about the loss that will show once the evil water weight has buggered off!
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same exact awful weigh in today. I've eaten great all week and had some awesome runs but I'm up 2 1/2 pounds ????
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was the same 2 weeks ago, I ate a lot of sodium day before weigh in and despite being in a good deficit all week I gained 4lb and it really annoyed me even though I knew why!

BUT! Last week I lost 3lb and this week I lost 4lb. Keep at it! :D
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When building muscle make sure you take measurements of your waist ect. I gain weight but lose inches when building muscle so at least I know I am making good progress and don't become discouraged
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Mine was bad today too and the kicker was i drank over the required water yesterday with my water pill and nothing happened. I'm thinking my body is too used to the water pills as i woke up this morning with the swelled feet already.
  • aliwhalen
    aliwhalen Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm not due to start my period for another 8 days or so. I usually do retain a lot of water around that time, but I feel like it's a little too early for that.

I know it's from my work out - my biceps are visibly swollen. Logically, I know that it's just a number and I know it will get better.

I retain water when I'm ovulating, you should start logging when you feel bloated, I'll bet you'll notice a pattern!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The scale is a lying SOB. Don't let it dictate your feelings

:flowerforyou: