Sharp calf pain while running?

Options
So, I've been doing C25K for about 9 weeks now (I recycle weeks sometimes). I've never had much trouble and I've been steadily building endurance. I ran yesterday and it was awesome. I went back out today and did my five minute warm-up walk, then started running. Within two minutes of running I developed an awful stitch in my side and sharp, shooting pains through my calves and knees, especially in my left leg. I finished my route at a walk, but even that was pretty painful. Any idea what could have caused this?

I worked today from 7-3:45, ate lunch around 1:30, then hit the pavement around 5:30, so I know I had plenty of time to digest. I didn't eat a huge lunch or anything and I was fairly hydrated. I wasn't going any faster than my usual pace and I was wearing my regular shoes and everything. I'm 5'4", 192 lbs, for what it's worth.

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I don't think your injury is connected with what you ate and when you ate it.

I'd always take 'medical advice' on mfp with a pinch of salt…if you are injured, then don't run , you'll only make it worse. Take rest, stretch and ice your calf. If it still hurts, then I'd go see a doctor.

Good luck!
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd consult a sports med doc.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you've been fine up to this point then take a breath and give yourself a small break. Focus on stretching, your nutrition, and hydration for a day or two, then stretch and try going for a walk. I would recommend including some self-myofacial release in your stretching. Hit your IT Bands from the top all the way down to the outter-edge of the knee. If it hurts, it means you need to do it more; get your adductors and glutes as well. If you still have pain, yes see a doctor.