Anyone in the 50's going for the 60's

Options

Replies

• tmorris54
    tmorris54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60 back in April; I can use some help also, I would be glad to add friends.
  • Lesnotmore
    Lesnotmore Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 59 and turn 60 on July 20. I am just getting back to MFP after a 9 month absence. Of course, during the winter and spring I gained back the 20 pounds I had lost in 2013.

I have about 60 lbs to lose. I have arthritic knees and now achilles tendonitis which is my acute issue right now and have an appt. with orthopedic surgeon next week. I just can't keep up with my active friends any longer and it gets me down. I am feeling old. Yeah, yeah, I've been advised by MDs about losing weight to take pressure off my knees and will probably hear it again at my appt. but hoping an injection or something will give me relief for now.

Any recommendation on books or website for motivation, especially about plant based and whole food approaches to nutrition? I do plan to go back to my 40/30/30 meal plan and LOGGING daily but would like to try eating fish and maybe eggs and stick with plant based meals for the majority of the week..

Looking for friends and soulmates on this journey! please respond back here or message me.

Les
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I am 52. Been on mfp for 36 days now. I can not believe how well I am doing. I think its because of friends on here. My diary is open for all to see and any one to critique. I think its what keeps me accountable. Reading the forums are also a great resource.
    I have been dieting for as long as I can remember. I think I was 10 or 12 when I did WW the first time. This isnt a diet for me and thats why I am succeeding. This is a lifestyle change. I now weigh and measure EVERYTHING. I exercise...walk... and here I am 15 lbs down.

I will always accept new friends. I log daily and am an active...over active...user.

Cindy
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    55 here and this isn't an easy path. Use to be easy but no longer. Anyone here feel free to add me, log daily, try to exersise regularly.
  • ketandnan
    ketandnan Posts: 9
    Options
    I would love to be friends with some of you older ladies, I am 54 will be 55 in September this is probably my umpteen time of trying to change my eating habits! I could really use some tips and encouragement! Feel free to send all the friend request.
  • ketandnan
    ketandnan Posts: 9
    Options
    AMEN!!!
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Sign me up!!
    I would love some friends that are the same age bracket as me.
    I love my young friends but some things they can't relate to.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am about to turn 51 and started with MFP about six weeks ago. I also joined a gym and I am working with a really good personal trainer once per week. I have lost about 10 pounds - logging every day. I find that at this age and weight (started at 192), I have poor balance and not a lot of strength either. I am trying to do about 35-40 mins of cardio three times a week and metabolic/weight training 2-3 times a week. It is hard, but I am starting to see some results.
  • 73JD2013
    73JD2013 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hello all! I am 53 and have gone thru open back surgery and finding out that some heal quicker than others, that momma never told me my body would change like THIS, and that patience is something that is needed as nothing is going to happen quickly, LOL!! Have lost over 80 so far and still plugging away. I WILL get there and would love to make friends to chat with for support so I get bored and eat. Please feel free to add me as a friend!!! Look forward to mutual support and chatting with you.:smile::laugh:
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and teach high school. You would think that would offer plenty of options for activity, but between grading and filling out paperwork, there's not much time for working out. But this time I have to make it work. I am tired of dealing with the side effects of weight-fatigue, blood pressure, sore knees and ankles. And don't even get me started on shopping. Realistically I need to lose 50 lbs. I would love to lose 70 lbs. And no, I do not want gastric bypass.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm already well into my 60s and am incredibly flexible and pretty strong. However, I've noticed recently that balance is an issue for me, so I've started doing yoga twice a week in addition to my strength and cardio classes.

I'm also a beginning certified Zumba instructor in Basic and Zumba Gold. As soon as I get my ACE group fitness certificate, I'll start job hunting. I want to teach seniors, healthy as well as those with aging problems. This weekend I'm going to a Zumba JAM session and we get to work out two choreographed routines to add to our class makeup. It will be my first two dances. You need about 12 or so for an hour's class.
  • eihope
    eihope Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Les - I am in the same boat - also 59 going on 60. I lost a lot of weight about 5 years ago (75 lbs) and kept it off for a number of years. Then, going through depression, I started to gain and gain and gain. It has been rough getting back to a healthy routine; I haven't been able to create any longevity of sticking with it. But, I did start trying again about 11 days ago and have been using MFP on my iphone to keep my food diary. I always felt logging in the food was essential to stay on track. When I had lost the weight in the past, I was very big into exercise - running and working out almost everyday (I was in great shape!) but am not trying to push myself too hard now but definitely trying to move more. I hope to gradually increase. I'd be happy to work with you on this journey and hope we can encourage each other. My first goal is to lost 10+ plus (whatever I can) for my daughter's wedding coming up in 7 weeks.
    I have been doing very well with my eating, but boy, I am not losing on the scale at all. I do feel better and slimmer and my clothes are a little looser but I just don't get why it hasn't been reflected in lbs. I'm trying to stay motivated. Feeling good helps.
    Good luck to you. eihope:smile:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    All females with open diaries are welcome to friend me. I hit the big 6-0 in January and hit my weight goal in May of this year. Took 53 weeks to lose 63 pounds. Not bad for an "oldie". I like open diaries for ideas not so I can critique. Only you can control what you eat. I'll cheer you on to goal and you can cheer me on to long term maintenance.
  • TDH63
    TDH63 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm 50, active for my age... gained 35 lbs after my father died. I have been hitting the gym almost everyday (unless I work OT which is a 16 hour work day not to mention my life) I push mow my front and back yard in the Texas heat and humidity... Know what I lost in the past 3 weeks??????? A big FAT -O-:explode:

Feel free to add me, I need new ideas to kick start this ole body.... I just don't get it.... :( , but.. NOT GIVING UP! :flowerforyou:

SO any tips or ideas... :sad:
  • amyenman1
    amyenman1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi is amyenman
  • amyenman1
    amyenman1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    hi is amyenman so sorry kid
  • TDH63
    Options
    Good Job on walking everyday!! Keep up the good work!
  • Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh Gosh don't get me started. I call it Menopause H*E*L*L* I just turned 50 and things are different now. But this just wasn't enough of a challenge. On top of it I gave up smoking and voila...gained more weight on top of it.

Metabolism is non existing and my digestive system seems to be in vacation since 6 months :-)

I lost 12 pounds so far...still 50 to go. It is slower, I have different limitations all of a sudden (how did that happen?). It's more work and not as easy as it has been, but doable.

You can add me as a friend if you would like...but I have to warn you. I am a goofball :-)
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm 55, almost 56. I'm 5'1" and used to weigh 174. I weigh 125 now, run most days, and lift weights weekly. Age does NOT limit you. Don't fall into that trap. Be unstoppable.
  • TDH63
    Options
    I could of written this post!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS DO THIS!!