Very large calorie deficits through exercise

Options
I have been trying this week to do a very large exercise-based calorie deficit. Inspired by the (unrealistic - I know - yet hugely motivating) TV shows like The Biggest Loser. I have about 40 lb to lose and I have been working out daily for a about 3-4 months. I have toned up considerably but lost slowly (I was doing pretty intense weight training), about 10 lb with significant muscle gain. I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. (My usual was weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week) I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600), I am 5'4' and 175 pounds. I need to lose 30-40 lb and have dieted/exercised on and off for years. I used to be 130 lb until I gained weight about 7 years ago (I am 35 now). I burn about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this. I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route...

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    With similar stats, I did an aggressive strict diet and lots of exercise and was only able to achieve at the most 2lbs a week. I lost the weight, looked great but when it came time to move to maintainance I had a great deal of trouble. It is not something I recommend to anyone.
    Doing huge amounts of exercise to achieve weight loss is counter productive because it is not something you can maintain long term, nor is it something you will likely keep up when hitting maintainance. YOu are basically setting yourself up for failure one way or another. And that isn't even considering possible metabolic damage.

You may also want to read this
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Paragraphs are really cool.

Since I tl'dr'ed due to it being unreadable, you can build a large caloric deficit due to exercise, but only if you have your intake on point. Weight isn't lost in the gym.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You "know everyone will say this is unhealthy..."? So you're interested in losing any available muscle you have and becoming weak and sick just to see a lower number on your scale. Fabulous, let me get you a gold star.

Although you know this already, 200-500 net calories per day is NOT enough to sustain the level of exercise you are racking up. Be smart, fuel your body.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh, the OP is asking for advice on starving herself?

Man, what the hell is hidden in that unreadable wall of text?
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you want to exercise more, so you can eat more and still be at a deficit to lose fat.
    there is nothing unhealthy about this.

Its hard to read your wall of text though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    you want to exercise more, so you can eat more and still be at a deficit to lose fat.

She also wants to do enough to lose 3-4 lbs a week and wants to net 400-500 calories.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you wouldnt have gained a significant amount of muscle while slowly losing weight, uncovering muscle or gaining strength yes, gaining muscle almost certainly not

Even if you did, what you are doing now will help you get rid of that nasty unwanted muscle
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    People who have 'gone this route'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

ETA: no need for a "very strict diet". Do a moderate deficit and moderate exercise. It'll come off slower but your results will be more sustainable.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Nothing in her post indicates she wants to eat more. She's deliberately seeking a sub-500 net intake through exercise while lying to herself about "significant muscle gain" (not happening for a female with such low net intake).

Everything she's doing is unhealthy.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Believe me when I say you are going about it the wrong way. I did the same thing and it was a costly mistake. Weight training will help you get to your goal...not excessive cardio. Muscle burns calories 24 hours a day, even when you are sleeping. Cardio and dieting will waste your muscle and you will end up skinny fat. If you keep lifting and just be patient, you will start to see your physique change and you will be smaller but won't necessarily see it on the scale at first. Throw the scale away.

I stress patience because it has taken me almost 2 years to build my muscle base.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I second everything 3dogsrunning said. You can do the intense cardio and lose some weight but I don't think you'll lose 3-4 pounds a week (especially the closer you get to your goal weight).

Why do you feel the need to lose so much so fast? It sounds like you had a good thing going with the weight training, I don't get why you decided to abandon that approach. If it's just to see a lower number on the scale, well, I hope you enjoy it. You'll probably be very worn out and tired when you get there if you run a deficit like that.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Some research has also indicated problems for one's metabolism when using a very low calorie restriction. Start slow and be patient, fitness is a marathon not a sprint.
  • popbijoux
    popbijoux Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just a clarification. I am seeking this large deficit this week only.
    The muscle I gained up to now was on a moderate diet and exercise program where I lost slowly but gained muscle (10 lb weight loss plus muscle gain in about 4 months).
    I am not EATING 500 calories, I eat about 2000 calories but burn around 1600-1800 through exercise.
    I just want to speed up my weight loss and make it significant. Also I noticed I am getting more muscular (in the upper body especially) but I am not getting thinner necessarily. I can easily do very intense exercise but I hate very strict dieting (below 1500 calories/day).
  • popbijoux
    Options
    Ppl mentioned they could not read the post here it is broken down:

---I have about 40 lb to lose and I have been working out daily for a about 3-4 months. I have toned up considerably but lost slowly (I was doing pretty intense weight training), about 10 lb with significant muscle gain. (My usual is weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week)

--- I am 5'4' and 170 pounds.

---I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route…

---***This week I have decided to change my moderate approach***and I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600),

---I need to lose 30-40 lb and have dieted/exercised on and off for years.

---I used to be 125-130lb for most of my life until I gained weight (depression-related) about 7 years ago (I am 35 now).

--(This week) I have been I burning about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this.

That's it really:)

I see everyone's point: it doesn't seem to work…although if it did, it would be incredibly motivating!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The muscle I gained up to now was on a moderate diet and exercise program where I lost slowly but gained muscle (10 lb weight loss plus muscle gain in about 4 months).
    I am not EATING 500 calories, I eat about 2000 calories but burn around 1600-1800 through exercise.
    I just want to speed up my weight loss and make it significant. Also I noticed I am getting more muscular (in the upper body especially) but I am not getting thinner necessarily. I can easily do very intense exercise but I hate very strict dieting (below 1500 calories/day).

Unless you ate a sizable surplus for a whilecoupled with heavy lifting you did not gain significant muscle in four months. Netting 500 calories is just as bad as eating 500 with no exercise. Your current plan is foolish at best. The reason you expect everyone to say your actions are dangerous is because somewhere deep down you know you are only setting yourself up for damage yet choose the foolish path anyway.

Most 35 year olds know better.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

How do you know you gained muscle? It's incredibly unlikely in a deficit. Your fat loss probably just revealed the muscle beneath it.
    Net 500kcals is still not good, because you need your net for your body's daily processes and other activity. If exercise takes up all that energy then there's little left for he rest of the day.
    Have you been taking measurements? I would suggest just having a moderate deficit, created with exercise if you wish. It will be much more sustainable for you (and likely a healthier method).
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this week to do a very large exercise-based calorie deficit. Inspired by the (unrealistic - I know - yet hugely motivating) TV shows like The Biggest Loser. I have about 40 lb to lose and I have been working out daily for a about 3-4 months. I have toned up considerably but lost slowly (I was doing pretty intense weight training), about 10 lb with significant muscle gain. I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. (My usual was weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week) I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600), I am 5'4' and 175 pounds. I need to lose 30-40 lb and have dieted/exercised on and off for years. I used to be 130 lb until I gained weight about 7 years ago (I am 35 now). I burn about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this. I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route...

Hi there. Out of experience...wrong approach....wrong website to ask this question, too.... If you are this competitive with yourself, you will have to learn about the connection between training, and supplements and nutrition supporting the training effectively. You won't get those answers on MFP.
    Check out this link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    She will explain it very well. But even Jamie does not suggest a quick fix, because it's not sustainable. Take it slow and make it a lifestyle. It's a process, not a race. Just my thoughts on it...

Train safe, stay healthy!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Hi there. Out of experience...wrong approach....wrong website to ask this question, too.... If you are this competitive with yourself, you will have to learn about the connection between training, and supplements and nutrition supporting the training effectively. You won't get those answers on MFP.
    Check out this link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    She will explain it very well. But even Jamie does not suggest a quick fix, because it's not sustainable. Take it slow and make it a lifestyle. It's a process, not a race. Just my thoughts on it...

Train safe, stay healthy!

Why is it the wrong website to ask?
  • popbijoux
    Options
    You're right…you know what, I realize this was triggered when I met up with a thinner friend last week who lost weight very quickly (18 lb in 2 months) and chastisized me for eating a burger (I had burned 1200 calories that day goddamn!) "since you are dieting". I had told her it was within my calorie range and she was like "when I lost the weight I did I starved a bit and had a very strict diet. "you could lose a lot more if you were stricter about it". Sigh…I should just go back to what I was doing before I guess.
    My issue is basically I don't like strict dieting. I need a burger once in a while, some candy, and I love microwave popcorn. I love exercising though and I am fit underneath the fat and that is what is frustrating. I hate controlling what I eat too much (although I write it all in the fitness pal app, it helps a lot to at least be conscious about it).
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    You're right…you know what, I realize this was triggered when I met up with a thinner friend last week who lost weight very quickly (18 lb in 2 months) and chastisized me for eating a burger (I had burned 1200 calories that day goddamn!) "since you are dieting". I had told her it was within my calorie range and she was like "when I lost the weight I did I starved a bit and had a very strict diet. "you could lose a lot more if you were stricter about it". Sigh…I should just go back to what I was doing before I guess.
    My issue is basically I don't like strict dieting. I need a burger once in a while, some candy, and I love microwave popcorn. I love exercising though and I am fit underneath the fat and that is what is frustrating. I hate controlling what I eat too much (although I write it all in the fitness pal app, it helps a lot to at least be conscious about it).
    It doesn't have to be "strict dieting" ... just a SENSIBLE deficit.