Is a fitbit worth it?

Options
Hiya, been seeing a lot of posts about fitbits and i'm honestly wondering if it's really worth it cause it's quite pricy
And if there are any better.

thanks x

Replies

• nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Hi Sylvie,

I will tell you that I've started logging food and exercise several times in the past, and it wasn't until I had real data to look at--from the Fitbit, in my case--that I really got "into" it. It's been such a good little motivator. I got mine in March and I've lost 10lbs since (and I actually look forward to walking or running). I also love seeing my data.

However, I know it's not for everyone. Some people want a HRM, and some people find that the Fitbit meets needs just fine. There's also a great Fitbit community here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

You can definitely ask questions there and everyone will be happy to help.
  • sjbtiger
    sjbtiger Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I agree with nicca_jb, the FitBit seemed to provide the extra motivation that I needed. I got mine in February have lost almost 20 pounds. Even though my workouts are primarily weightlifting, which isn't something the FitBit is very useful for, I work a desk job and checking my step count is a constant reminder to get up and move. I'm embarrassed to admit, but my average steps were easily in the 3K range before the fitbit. Now I make an effort to average about 8-9K per day.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above...it has kept me motivated to get more steps in...which isn't always easy because I have a desk job as well. I love that it calculates how many calories I burn and it has been pretty accurate for me when comparing to my weight loss. I've lost about 12 pounds using it since March and in my opinion that makes it very worth it.
  • lchrun
    lchrun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit since March. It's definitely helped me be more active. My goal is 10K steps a day. On most days I'm short of that. I'm more motivated to go for a quick walk or run some stairs to get my steps and number of floors up after dinner, instead of sitting on the couch :)
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have been using mine since April and it has helped keep me focused and get off the couch to get my 10,000 steps and my 30 minutes of activity every day. I've dropped 30 lbs since I put it on.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Hiya, been seeing a lot of posts about fitbits and i'm honestly wondering if it's really worth it cause it's quite pricy
    And if there are any better.

thanks x

If it is worth it or not depends on what you want to track about your life. If you need better visibility on how much you get up and move throughout the day/week and possibly how restless your sleep patterns are .... a fitbit is a good choice. If you want to track non-step activity, it probably isn't the right tool for you.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit especially since I can sync it with mfp. I have lost 9 lbs since May 4, when I got it.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit after I lost all of my weight. I use it now to maintain/bulk up. I weight train 3-5 times a week and do a small amount of cardio as well. For me, it keeps me motivated to stay active and this has definitely made a big difference in the shape of my body. But that all boils down to how hard you are willing to work to achieve the body you want. Another good thing about it, is that it gives you weekly summaries so you can look back and determine which days you were least active.
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with nicca_jb, the FitBit seemed to provide the extra motivation that I needed. I got mine in February have lost almost 20 pounds. Even though my workouts are primarily weightlifting, which isn't something the FitBit is very useful for, I work a desk job and checking my step count is a constant reminder to get up and move. I'm embarrassed to admit, but my average steps were easily in the 3K range before the fitbit. Now I make an effort to average about 8-9K per day.

exactly my situation lol, i work a desk job and only used to get 3k steps, now with fitbit i average 7-9k. Its great for motivation :)
  • LeafyEdge
    LeafyEdge Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I really love my FitBit. It helps motivate me, and helps keep me on track especially on my rest days. I just lower my goal accordingly, but then I still have a goal to hit.

I'd recommend buying one from somewhere with a good return policy. If you live near an Apple store, they'll take it back within two weeks as long as you still have the packaging, and they don't ask questions. Best Buy's return policy is similar, but they usually will have you fill out a form, and it's generally not a fun process.
  • marilynrobarts
    marilynrobarts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I recently finished a 40 day round of the HCG diet and needed some motivation to be more active during the maintenance stage. my husband and i compete together on our total steps . I love that It links to fitness pal. totally worth it!
  • feliperss
    feliperss Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I bought my Fitbit One about 6 months ago now and I think it's been a great motivator to get out and moving so yes I'd say it's worth it. Right now I don't feel as if I need it as much because seeing what I can achieve by moving more is motivating in itself, but I do like seeing those numbers and so far the estimated TDEE has been working!
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I love my little fitbit zip. Its not high tech like some of the fitbits but it challenges me to do better every day.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've been using my FitBit since last November, and I love it. It has really helped me to see how much extra activity I can get into my life just by changing little things like parking further away from the store, or taking the elevator instead of the stairs.

I compete against myself to see how many steps I can get in a day.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been using my fitbit one since January 2013, and I love it. It motivates me to take a little walk at the end of the day hen I haven't met my step goal.
  • klfoster88
    klfoster88 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not sure how worth it is yet because I haven't gotten mine yet. I did a post yesterday though about to get one for a really good discount.

If you are on Groupon there is a coupn for $50 for $25 at Brookstone getting you $25. Once you have it you go to Brookstone.com and us the promo code 20GIFT to get $20 more off. That saves you $45 dollars. You will still pay tax and shipping but mine was only $71 even after those charges. So, I saved $28 and was able to justify buying one.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I used to have the Ultra (with all the bells and whistles)....

But now I have the Zip model http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Magenta/dp/B0095PZHRC

It fits my needs fine, and was only $48.
  • kateweg
    kateweg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    Fitbit is the best thing that happened to me in ages. I love seeing my progress during the day.