Weighing down to the grams

Options
So one thing I've noticed is a lot of people discussing that they weigh their foods, do any of you think this is 100% necessary? I use measuring cups for everything, and when I have meat I just do the "palm of the hand" trick. Is it going to effect my weight loss if I don't start weighing this stuff? I also don't weigh my fruit either. I'm new to all this and just want to be as successful as I can be and definitely appreciate your help! :)

Replies

• DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The reason so many weigh their foods and are advocates of it, is because weight is an unbiased measurement. Serving size is arbitrary. What is one slice of pizza? What is a medium apple? But if you know what 132g of pizza = x, then when you get a serving that is 250g, you can figure out the TRUE x (calories).
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary, but I find it extremely extremely helpful. If what you're doing is working, then keep at it. If you find your weight loss is slow or you "plateau," it can be helpful to really peg down your intake with much greater accuracy.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lose weight without weighing their food.

I tend to overestimate what I eat so I don't go over. If I ever think I may need a food scale, I might get one. I can't see spending money on one until then though.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it's something to consider as you keep going, but in the beginning I think your method is fine. If you are not seeing results I would consider it and I've heard some say that as you get closer to your goal weight the margin for error on calories gets smaller - as those things occur I would consider it.

In the beginning - just get used to the routine. As time goes on - think about adding tighter measurements. It is very easy to over estimate. Besides - your hand, my hand, Michael Jordan's hand - all very different in size. It might matter at some point.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I weigh all solids and measure all liquids. Everything except restaurant food ;). Some people do just fine eye-balling and using measuring cups but that would be the first thing I would tighten up if I wasn't losing. And, yes, I weigh fruit. Most apples sold loose are at least 100 calories for instance. Multiple servings of fruit and veggies can add up.

Fwiw, a digital tare scale is actually easier- I tare every time I add a new item to my plate and I'm not getting a bunch of measuring utensils dirty
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, but measuring is subject to much more error than weighing is. Measuring is really only accurate for liquid substances.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Seriously...I weight almost everything. I will remove one single blueberry from my bowl if it goes over 100gr. Anal maybe but I have to be successful this time and if it takes doing that then so be it.
    Give it a try. You may be surprised that you may be able to have more of some things and less of others

Cindy
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is if you're losing without using a scale, don't worry about it.

For me, however, it was the only thing that got me moving again off a 3-4 month plateau. In retrospect it wasn't a truevplateau, I was simply unintentionally eating at maintenance... that's an average of an aggregate 500 calorie error each and every day. It's simply too easy to underestimate your servings.

I will say that I've learned to be especially diligent in weighing calorie dense food - those are the ones that will make the biggest difference if you're underestimating.

If you decide to go the scale route, the rule of thumb is to use a measuring cup for liquids and the scale for solids.

Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to keep up the diary --whether you weigh or measure or eye-ball.
  • shilowindy
    shilowindy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. If anything, I undershoot what I put on my plat just incase I've misjudged somewhere. I do measure things when I have to eat at work (I work at a restaurant where everything is deep fried) so I know exactly what I'm putting in but when I'm at home I use my measuring cups and thats about it. I'll give it some time with this method (I only started on Sunday) and see if I start to lose the projected amount and then go from there.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Fwiw, a digital tare scale is actually easier- I tare every time I add a new item to my plate and I'm not getting a bunch of measuring utensils dirty

This idea NEVER even occurred to me. This is gonna save me a whole lotta time and water....thank you for sharing it! :flowerforyou:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You can try without weighing your food and it very well may work for you. But if you don't lose weight, it's the first thing you should change.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I weigh all solids and measure all liquids. Everything except restaurant food ;). Some people do just fine eye-balling and using measuring cups but that would be the first thing I would tighten up if I wasn't losing. And, yes, I weigh fruit. Most apples sold loose are at least 100 calories for instance. Multiple servings of fruit and veggies can add up.

+1, the tare function makes measuring everything sooo much easier.

I measure everything, except the once in a while bites I take of my husband's food. Usually, he takes a bite of mine too so I figure it works itself out.:drinker: