BODY PUMP

Options
Does anyone have any idea how you add an hours worth of body pump into the exercise section on here?? I think it burns arouns 400 cals off in the hour session....

Replies

• nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Katy, you can just add it as 'Aerobics General'. A dietician friend also confirmed that it would burn, on average, 400cals per hour so this sounds sensible.
  • rrand85
    Options
    I do body pump classes and put it as Aerobics, high impact
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i asked this question a while ago and most people said to log it as circuit training!

I LOVE pump i go twice a week :smile:
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Beaut, thanks very much!

I love body pump too, I don't hurt as much as I thought I would today... so I'm taking myself to another class tonight as well! Think I may need a rest day tomorrow though....
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Really? 400 seems a lot.... it's not cardio is it? Unless Body Pump is different where you are.... here in Oz it's a weights class....
  • duggy79
    duggy79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's a weights class here in the UK as well. Someone told me that even when doing weights you're burning a lot of calories even though your heart rate may not be as high as in cardio. I checked on the internet and all the articles I read seem to agree that its around 400 cals.

I'm going tonight, can't wait.
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Its AMAZING! But I am in all kinds of pain today. Urgh!!!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you wear a HRM to get an accurate count. When I wore my monitor I burned less than 300 calories. You aren't really getting your HR up except for the lunge and squat tracks, especially after you take the class for a while. 400 is an overestimation I think, but I'm in pretty good shape. The instructor swore up and down I'd burn between 400 and 600, but I didn't really believe it since I don't burn that much even running for 45 minutes.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's a weights class here in the UK as well. Someone told me that even when doing weights you're burning a lot of calories even though your heart rate may not be as high as in cardio. I checked on the internet and all the articles I read seem to agree that its around 400 cals.

I'm going tonight, can't wait.

I've been training for an hour 3x a week for a year now with my trainer Bruce. He recently changed up my routine and I'm doing very high intensity circuit training. (Jump rope for one min, sprint to the pull up bar do ten pull ups, flip a tractor tire three tomes then jump in and out of it, sprint around the track and when he blows the whistle do ten push ups) stuff like this for an hour solid. One water break. Well I wore my hrm and was pleasantly surprised how much I'd burned. I thought I was going to die, but he has to keep pushing me.... Well, he explained that I still need one day of the week to be focused on the muscles. So, Monday he slowed everything down and I did a ton of weight. Walking lunges, weighted squads, leg extensions, leg curls, tons of abs. It was a lot less challenging and my hr stayed around 150-160. I burned ten calories more on the slow day than the high day. So, strap that hrm on cause I'm sure you burn around 400 but that's the only way to be positive.