App to help track workouts (biking/jogging mainly)

Options
2»

Replies

• nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    I use mapmyrun every day... Once a month it gets screwy with distances, but on the whole it is reliable. Probably not the most accurate out there, but it's still pretty darn close, especially for a free app.

It too links right into MFP, plays music straight from my playlists, and has all the basic bells and whistles you'd need. The others people recommend are good too... It's nice to live in an age with such choice.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Mapmyrun for runs and biking is great.

Second this.

I use it daily for my runs and love it. It is the only app I have tried that hasn't given me issues at one point or another.
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Strava free is my personal fav and it now links to MFP - bonus!

The reason I went for Strava is mainly becuase of my competive nature and the segments that it holds to try and beat yours, and others, previous times on sections of your route.

Personal choice at the end of the day and whatever you choose - have fun!

:smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Strava free is my personal fav and it now links to MFP - bonus!

it does what?!??!?!
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few and am still looking for one I'll use the most consistently, but right now I like Runkeeper because it gives audible updates throughout my rides. Since I keep my phone in a bag on my bike, I know it's actually recording my ride. I've had a few rides where I checked during the ride or when I got home and it didn't record :( Not a huge deal, as I do the same few routes, so I was able to track distance and time, but I'm finding I like the audible updates. I don't know if others offer this too though.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried several (Cardiotrainer - which was awesome until they stopped supporting it, RunDouble, RunKeeper)...but I've settled on MapMyRun/Ride/Fitness. It works great (and FYI, how well the GPS works is primarily a function of your actual phone, NOT the app, so if you have GPS issues with one app, you'll likely have issues with all apps), and on my phone, the distance and pace are on par with my garmin. :happy:
  • peacheslcg
    peacheslcg Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had Edomondo, but had to let go of it, it would have be walking a mile in 2 minutes and some such nonsense. I got Mapmywalk now, it started out relatively ok, but then the map started going a bit crazy. It all depends on where I start to map it from. I deleted the app and reinstalled it, it works better mapwise, but it's not syncing to MFP now. I just use log the time walked and the pace and let MFP calculate the rest.
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep Strava now links to MFP, just go to Strava and select the link to MFP, job done!
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend Map My Fitness for biking and running
  • velvetteddylove
    Options
    I use Accupedo. I'm not sure how accurate it really is but it tells burn amount steps and miles. I also use Charity Miles for more inspiration! It donates for every mile you walk! :)

Wow, I've never heard of Charity Miles, very cool! I will check it out, thanks :smile:
  • velvetteddylove
    Options
    I've tried a few and am still looking for one I'll use the most consistently, but right now I like Runkeeper because it gives audible updates throughout my rides. Since I keep my phone in a bag on my bike, I know it's actually recording my ride. I've had a few rides where I checked during the ride or when I got home and it didn't record :( Not a huge deal, as I do the same few routes, so I was able to track distance and time, but I'm finding I like the audible updates. I don't know if others offer this too though.

Thank you :smile: That is one of the features I thought was helpful as well, I know others did not like it (you do have the option to turn it off) but as I won't be holding my phone while riding, it seems very convenient!
  • velvetteddylove
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It stormed all day today so I did some indoor exercising, but I have a few apps to try out (hopefully) soon - if the weather lets me! Hurricane season, what can you do :sad: