Struggling with social occasions

Hi,
My GP's recently recommended I follow a low carb diet (I'm insulin resistant with PCOS and carry a lot of water weight) - and so far I feel fantastic and haven't had any sugar cravings or bingeing episodes.
The problem is, I have a social life that I've realised revolves around meals in nice restaurants, afternoon tea, dinner parties, etc - I happen to have a lot of lovely (naturally skinny) friends who love food. I feel like I'm being really fussy trying to find something carb free all the time and they don't understand and think it's just a fad and that 'a bit of chocolate fudge cake won't hurt'. I know I have to make a decision between eating the kind of food that I love and being healthy with better self esteem, more energy, etc. in the past the pasta and potatoes and home baked cakes have always won but I can't just eat them in moderation - it's all or nothing as soon as I start on the sugar the cycle of binge eating starts again too.
This time I really want to change but I don't want to turn into a complete hermit - any one have any coping strategies for eating out on a low carb diet (I don't necessarily get to decide where we eat) and explaining to naturally slim friends why you can't eat like them?!
Sorry if this is a bit rambling I wrote it on my phone so it's hard to proofread!

Replies

• LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    It sometimes feels like what an alcoholic feels when so many social drinkers keep insisting that one little drink will not hurt you. It gets tiresome, but stick to your guns. Keep doing what you do, you family and friends will get used to it over time.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I'm fortunate in that most of the people I'm around are supportive. One or two tell me I'm annoying with my commitment, but I ignore the haters =)

I'm also PCOS and insulin resistant. I find people understand diabetes, so if I frame the discussion around the insulin resistance and how I'm trying to avoid diabetes, they seem to understand that piece. I think some people are uncomfortable when their own choices are reflected back at them by someone making healthier choices and there's a bit of defensiveness there. If your choices can be framed around a specific reason for you (insulin resistance) that doesn't apply to them it's easier for them to accept. There's no longer the perception that you're a "better eater" or something, but rather you are stuck within limitations you'd also prefer not to have. I would say, I'd love a big *kitten* piece of chocolate fudge cake, but given my issues with insulin, I really can't do that very often.
  • newmrsboyd
    newmrsboyd Posts: 13 Member
    ugh, I know. I struggled with this as well.

Are you taking metformin? Something else to consider is bringing your own stuff to social get togethers- that's what I do.

Here are my tips:

1. Consider asking your doctor to put you on Victoza or Bydureon. It's a diabetes medication that slows gastric emptying and they are currenty filing with the FDA for an indication for weight loss. It really really helps patients feel full. I know that metformin is covered for PCOS, and metformin in and of itself may help you shed a significant amount of weight, but I think we're going to see in the next few years that Victoza and the other meds in that class( i.e., Bydureon) of GLP-1s are going to be the emerging therapies for this. One thing to consider is finances. You may not have insurance coverage for Victoza, but you could get a good month of treatment from a sample pen from your doctor's office, and they have savings cards where you won't pay more than $25/ month.

2. Shakeology and and ActiVit in the morning. I did cross fit for 8 months and STRUGGLED to lose 12 lbs, and that was kiling myself with work outs and making my best attempts at Paleo. I burned out with that- ordered T25 so I could huff and puff and sweat and lag behind the workout at home in privacy, but I will tell you that the Shakeology chocolate protein shake it came with and the vitamins have taken 10 pounds off me just this month alone. 5/11/14 I was 191 today I am 180.0. Subsitute the protein shake for breakfast and take the vitamin with it. Have a chicken salad for lunch and a low carb dinner .You'll be amazed- it's really great stuff! I'm pretty sure if it could work for me it could work for anyone. (and of course, in conjunction with #1)

3. Here are my ideas for subbing out stuff on social occasions-

- Mic Ultra instead of whatever your friends are drinking.
    - Sausage peppadews- get the mini peppers, stuff with a pinch of hot italian sausage, broil on high in the oven for like 5 mins or until grilled appearing
    - tuna/ avocado/ lime juice bibb lettuce wraps (so quick and easy!)
    -drink a coconut water immediately before your occasion so you're not as hungry

Addendum: I see you are in England?! Hopefully you should have an easier time getting on the Victoza there.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Same thing here. I never realized so many people are insulin resistant til I joined up here. I was diagnosed last August. My doctor also put me on low carb, high protein/fat food plan. I refuse to call it a diet becuz it is my new lifestyle or I am looking at full blown diabetes. Anyway, I found that it is a new mind set as well. You will find that after you have done this plan for a while, that the "need" for foods with sugar will go by the wayside. In fact, the taste for sugar will also, and the sugar taste will no longer be appealing. IF you must give them an explanation, be blunt and say that you are avoiding full blown diabetes, thank you very much. It's all about your health. Just hang in there, it does get better. I also want to tell you that I have done diets my entire life. This is the first food plan I have been on that I have not hit even ONE plateau since last August. Simply amazing. The doctor told me that the vicious cycle of starting a diet, then the diet simply not working any longer, your body resisting losing any weight, which was what ALWAYS happened to me, is very typical of insulin resistance. That always happened to me. This has truly been a life saver for me. And it has worked very well. Good luck.