Doesn't anyone each fruit and veg anymore?

Options

Replies

• songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I cook from fresh veg to finished meal alot of the time, things like soup, hotpots in the crockpot, chilli, lasagne etc. We always have bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, lettuce, tomatoes in the crisper drawer . But as another member said when items are included in recipes which is how I add them , they cannot be seen
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruits/veggies. They're so easy! Just had 4 asparagus spears with lunch!

Ok, now I'll get on my soapbox.

I think one of the main reasons so many people don't eat (or don't eat enough) fruits, and especially veggies, is the way we train our kids from the very beginning. There are studies that show that our tastebuds/pleasure pathways are already beginning to be trained during pregnancy and before an ounce of "food" ever passes our lips. This means what mom eats also already starts training baby for preferences toward tastes - sweet, bitter, savory, etc. So if she's not eating veggies, or only eating certain veggies, baby will be more inclined toward not eating them as well.

The other issue is the foods we start babies on. It has become common since jar baby food came on the scene to start babies on fruits (bananas, anyone), rather than veggies. Or even if veggies are given, they are the "sweet" tasting ones (peas, carrots). Babies tend to like the sweet flavors better (don't you?) so they eat them easier/better (see above where baby's tastebuds have already been effected.)

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those fruits and veggies. But the first foods baby tastes should at the very least be a variety of flavors. Our tastebuds are generally fully trained in the first year or two toward certain flavors. There is some variance for personal likes/dislikes, but we will tend to follow those preferences set in the first couple years. Tastebuds can also be retrained some, but it can be extremely difficult.

My son, 7, likes cookies and ice cream and candy, like most kids. But he also LOVES broccoli, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, and many others. The only vegetable we've found that he doesn't like is mushrooms. When I began feeding him solid foods, he started with a variety of flavors and didn't have any processed sugar at all until a year old. He only had what was in fruits. (Yes, I know, ironic that I was so intent on his healthy eating and have become so lax about mine - but I'm changing it.)

Fruits and veggies are important - even before we're born!

*climbs down* Thank you for listening! :bigsmile:

Totally agree with this. My daughter loves veggies and fruits because it was the bulk of my diet when I was prenant with her. She loves things like asparagus, brussels sprouts, and edamame...where most kids wouldn't touch these veggies.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options

To be honest though - who cares what others are eating? Does it really affect you personally enough to post about it? You come off kind of smug. Maybe whoever you are looking at has food allergies (and yes many people have allergies or intolerance to both). Maybe they really just hate vegetables and fruit. They are the ones losing out on the awesome benefits of eating them.
    Wow... well for one I like to seem how others eat, I have learnt so much seeing how NOT to eat being on here. I think your comments are off the mark, I don't see anything smug in the post. 517 posts for 3 pounds lost, is that from typing? :smile:
  • NjTex
    NjTex Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least 1-2 fruits a day and several servings of cooked fresh veggies. I prepare all of my food on Sunday that way I don't have to cook all week long. I also prepare enough tilapia for at least 1 weeks worth of lunches along with white and sweet potatoes. They all hold up well in the frig and it makes eating health easy.
  • NjTex
    NjTex Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Its so funny you say that! I grew up on a farm and fresh meat, eggs, fruit, veggies and nuts were so plentiful....
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    To be honest though - who cares what others are eating? Does it really affect you personally enough to post about it? You come off kind of smug. Maybe whoever you are looking at has food allergies (and yes many people have allergies or intolerance to both). Maybe they really just hate vegetables and fruit. They are the ones losing out on the awesome benefits of eating them.
    This is actually basically what I intended to post at first.

But ya know, if people did eat more fruits and veggies, and less processed food and fast foods, the latter would be less prevalent in our society.

The problem being, of course, that we can't just regulate the fast food people eat. But I'm sure that San Francisco will find a way.
  • meanbmc
    meanbmc Posts: 28
    Options
    i can't live without my fruits and veggies! an apple with breakfast, bags of steamed veggies for lunch and dinner! and usually an apple or 2 during the day, and other stuff if i have it! at least half of lunch and dinner (most of the time!) is veggies. it's the only way i can fill up on something good for me!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I eat tonnes, of veges! half my plate for lunch and dinner is always a salad or steamed veges, plus I normally eat a couple of pieces of fruit a day (though I try to keep that down so that my sugar doesn't go over!)

Went to a bbq the other day and saw a friend who is a notoriously bad eater by pass the 4 salads to eat chips, meat and white bread ONLY just looking at his plate made me feel queezy!
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    My post was one of curiosity, and having interacted with many who are overweight and complain that they just can't lose weight and ask how I have done it.

When I ask what they eat they rarely seem to mention fruit/veg, they seem to have a lot of dairy (milky drinks, cheese etc), large portions of meat products, snacks (which they eat without being aware of the calorific content) etc, and they don't seem to be aware of what a correct food portion is.

As for smug - maybe I am based on what the word means. Had a look at the definition of smug "1. contentedly confident of one's ability or correctness 2.trim; spruce; smooth; sleek", so based on that yep I am.

Having been through the "weight loss journey" and finally (after many years of being a bad eater), realized how to beat my addiction to the wrong foods (yes I LOVED salty, sweet, fatty foods),

I felt I could "ask the question" regarding fruit and veg, as a (non-practicing) Dr I felt I had some knowledge on the impact of foods on the human body (which -yes- I had chosen to completely ignore for too long).

I think you would be surprised with those who say they are trying to lose weight but chose not to moderate what they eat... And too many use the "food allergies" as an excuse when they have no medically confirmed allergy (I have a sibling that did just that to get out of eating fruit).

Well I will step (stumble) down from my soapbox now (probably not to the applause of the masses :) )
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

Wow... well for one I like to seem how others eat, I have learnt so much seeing how NOT to eat being on here. I think your comments are off the mark, I don't see anything smug in the post. 517 posts for 3 pounds lost, is that from typing? :smile:

Actually I have a diagnosed eating disorder and have lost and gained approx 20 pounds 4 times within the past year. I have a wealth of knowledge regarding nutrition, but it does not mean I can put it into use when I'm in a dark place of my ED.

Just a few weeks ago I had to change from 17 pounds down (lost in a healthy way back in the fall) to 3 because I'm coming back and working on recovery.

but thanks for the typing joke directed towards my weight loss. I hope you feel very good about yourself right now. It's so unfortunate how much MFP message boards have changed for the worse since I joined a while ago. The amount of food policing on this website since diaries can now be made public is astounding.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My post was one of curiosity, and having interacted with many who are overweight and complain that they just can't lose weight and ask how I have done it.

When I ask what they eat they rarely seem to mention fruit/veg, they seem to have a lot of dairy (milky drinks, cheese etc), large portions of meat products, snacks (which they eat without being aware of the calorific content) etc, and they don't seem to be aware of what a correct food portion is.

As for smug - maybe I am based on what the word means. Had a look at the definition of smug "1. contentedly confident of one's ability or correctness 2.trim; spruce; smooth; sleek", so based on that yep I am.

Having been through the "weight loss journey" and finally (after many years of being a bad eater), realized how to beat my addiction to the wrong foods (yes I LOVED salty, sweet, fatty foods),

I felt I could "ask the question" regarding fruit and veg, as a (non-practicing) Dr I felt I had some knowledge on the impact of foods on the human body (which -yes- I had chosen to completely ignore for too long).

I think you would be surprised with those who say they are trying to lose weight but chose not to moderate what they eat... And too many use the "food allergies" as an excuse when they have no medically confirmed allergy (I have a sibling that did just that to get out of eating fruit).

Well I will step (stumble) down from my soapbox now (probably not to the applause of the masses :) )

I just get the feel of food policing from your initial post, which I noticed has become more prominent since the public food diaries are possible + more users.You should be so proud of yourself for everything you have achieved.

I'm not surprised at all by the amount of people who don't moderate what they eat when they're trying to lose weight. I personally think that the obesity epidemic is a lot more complex than people eating fruits and vegetables though. And I know you realize that as well.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit...ALOT of fruit. I eat veggies. There could be afew things going on.
    1. SOme people dont log veggies..like me sometimes. I made a pork roast in the crockpot. I used carrots, tomatoes, onion homemade chicken stock and spices...I wrapped the roast in lettuce. I didnt enter any of those veggies. I feel they are miniscle.
    2. Money. Its cheaper to eat potatoes, beans, rice. If your household doesnt agree on a veggie then alot of waste is involved
    3. Cycle of familarity: Alot of us grew up in households of meat and potatoes. each generation is losing the "dinner hour".
    4. Taste: Its been proven Americans have altered tastebuds from their nasty nutrition. We "need" salt and butter. So cooking veggies just doesnt give that satisfaction to most or they have to load it up with ****

That is just my take. I shove veggies in. We restricted alot of crap a few yrs back in my household when we did South Beach and we never really went back to much. I started a no starch, no sugar,no caffeine, no dairy (except greek yogurt), no processed food thing this yr and so far has been wonderful.

People who are big and need to lose weight know what they need to do....Its just doing it and doing it over and over and over.
  • Fat_Chopper
    Options
    Double post
  • Fat_Chopper
    Options

Actually I have a diagnosed eating disorder and have lost and gained approx 20 pounds 4 times within the past year. I have a wealth of knowledge regarding nutrition, but it does not mean I can put it into use when I'm in a dark place of my ED.

Just a few weeks ago I had to change from 17 pounds down (lost in a healthy way back in the fall) to 3 because I'm coming back and working on recovery.

but thanks for the typing joke directed towards my weight loss. I hope you feel very good about yourself right now. It's so unfortunate how much MFP message boards have changed for the worse since I joined a while ago. The amount of food policing on this website since diaries can now be made public is astounding.
    So let me get this right, you have now changed tact from accusing the OP from being smug to this being a MFP issue (no one can see your diary if you choose) and in the process hijacked an excellent, educational thread and made it all about you.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options

I just get the feel of food policing from your initial post, which I noticed has become more prominent since the public food diaries are possible + more users.You should be so proud of yourself for everything you have achieved.

I'm not surprised at all by the amount of people who don't moderate what they eat when they're trying to lose weight. I personally think that the obesity epidemic is a lot more complex than people eating fruits and vegetables though. And I know you realize that as well.

Your assumption was that I had garnered my information from food diaries, however I do not look at my fitness diaries - my curiosity was from discussions and interactions with lots of people outside of this site.

There was no "food policing" in my comment, it was a comment on how diets seem to have changed, and how we (as a society) have shifted from fresh food to fast food. In my younger days (a long time ago I am afraid to say) kids always had fruit etc and sweet things and salty snacks were for special occasions. This does not seem to be the case now.

People "want" the mouthfeel and taste of overly salty or sweet foods because that is what they are no programmer to want. They don't need these foods to live. They are addicted to these (nutritionally bad) foods - and it is an addiction because they find it hard to stop eating them and eat better foods. I know it is an addiction because I have been through the "cold turkey" of breaking my food addiction (which for me was too large a portion of food each meal, to much sugar in my drinks, too much salt in each meal, and way to much in the way of cakes and cookies).

That is my take / opinion on the situation of the obesity epidemic (the stats say 7 out of 10 people are overweight).

I do not think it is complex, I think people try and make it complex. What is more simple that "eat less that you use in" order to lose weight. Simple maths and making simple decisions (ie do I really need to eat this or am I just doing it to make me feel good at this specific moment in time).
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right, you have now changed tact from accusing the OP from being smug to this being a MFP issue (no one can see your diary if you choose) and in the process hijacked an excellent, educational thread and made it all about you.
    Seriously? I'm always amazed at how little thought people put into comprehension, responses or ... or ... just not being a ****!

Firstly, there's nothing excellent or educational about this thread. Whatever, no offense to anyone. The thread is a question, and a rhetorical one at that. It seems more an opportunity for pompousness, all in all. (And if this thread's question isn't rhetorical, then it is entirely without merit, because clearly people do eat vegetables and this hasn't encouraged conversation ...)

Seriously, what's educational about this thread? It hasn't even been disclosed as to how many fruits and vegetables one should consume in a day—which is now at about two cups of fruit and two and a half cups of vegetables for a 2,000 calorie diet. The average response is "I eat vegetables ..." There's no discourse regarding the average persons' eating habits, for the most part. In fact, all in all, there is ONE intelligent response to this thread. (Thanks for that ladyhawk00, that's something I think about. Also, healthy_is_best's second reply had some good and applicable thoughts to it.) Not that the others aren't in the least intelligent, but they're mostly just a casual response to a question that doesn't illicit conversation.

In fact, the only discourse anyone has engaged in is whether the OP should attack the eating habits of others' or not. And as it were, that's the one thing I'm not necessarily sure of in this context.

Furthermore, I'm not really sure what the difference between a non-practicing doctor and not-really-a doctor are ... wait, no, I am, but I'm not sure that either you, or the OP, are. [/cheap internet shot]

Finally, the obesity epidemic IS "a lot more complex" than people just not eating fruits and vegetables. It also pertains to processed foods, the fact that people are less active than they should be, genetics (probably ... to a degree ...) and, in my opinion the biggest contributor to the obesity epidemic ... government subsidies! (That is, the concept of, "Heck, let's make foods that ain't got no nutritional value cheaper than good foods!" plus my "booyah" search of "government subsidies making me fat" came up with this: http://www.studentpulse.com/articles/314/corn-subsidies-make-me-sick-and-fat )

All right, I'll leave it at that.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I was someone who saw eating as a chore to be gotten through quickly so I could get back to work/play/hobby/whatever. I ate a large serving of meat or fish and occasionally some taters or mashed or corn. Fruit was too time consuming and wasn't filling. Let's just get this over with.... I gotta do it again in a few hours anyway........

Now that I'm working on this from a new level of awareness, I love fruits and found that I like a lot more veggies than I thought I did. (fussy eater as a kid) I run every morning so I have so many calories to eat back that a fruit and veggie(or 2) with each of 5 meals makes a difference.

I hardly eat out at all....usually it's grilled chicken fill-it box at KFC for $5 or a Subway $5 footlong(which is two or three meals now) for a cheat day once in a while but, lately I can't even get over the total cals now that I upped the water intake. Junk food is history, fried food as well. My KFC meal is the only soda for the month cause I still love that Baja Blast. I can't drink more than half of it though, or I get a sore kidney. Once you get the soda out the body tells you not to go back to it. I cut out daily soda habit 10 years ago.

I haven't see anyone mention the "negative calorie" foods. These are foods that burn as many or more calories to digest them than are in them. Grapefruit, celery.... there are others but my mind went blank.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I love fruit & veggies - can't get enough of them! :love:

Me too!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    When I started counting my calories I quickly realized that vegetables are THE thing for me - now I eat them 90% of the time actually. They are everywhere. I admit, I could have a little bit more of a variety, usually im stuck with tomatoes and corn and radishes or onion, but hey, better than rice:D Its really working for me and my health has improved.
    I think most of the MFP who try to loose weight realize in time that when they count, vegetables are simply great - so few cals. So they start eating them more. But i havent seen that much diaries here:)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I eat about three servings of spinach a day like my main man Popeye. :smokin:

I'm the same way. Spinach is a huge part of my day to day eating.