Vitamin B/Chromium Picolinate to Curb Junk Food Cravings

Options
2»

Replies

• peperskip
    Options
    The headaches are from the sugar detox your body is going through and is perfectly normal and considered a "healing process", you will feel worse while you detox the sugar out of your system as your body is trying to get back to normal. Too bad your doctor does not know about this and would quickly recommend that you stop taking them (because that is the easy answer). If he cannot treat you with drugs then he cannot "control" what you are doing and have you come back to see him/her.

I am a Board Certified Naturopath and have recommended Chromium and Vit B to my clients to detox from sugar. It takes about a week or so with minor discomfort (headaches) as you detox. It is the same type of detox as when someone stops drinking coffee (caffeine). The body is used to the caffeine stimulant and when you stop drinking the "caffeine drug" your body craves, it starts with a headache as a natural detoxification process.

Sorry you had to spend money on MRI.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    The headaches are from the sugar detox your body is going through and is perfectly normal and considered a "healing process", you will feel worse while you detox the sugar out of your system as your body is trying to get back to normal. Too bad your doctor does not know about this and would quickly recommend that you stop taking them (because that is the easy answer). If he cannot treat you with drugs then he cannot "control" what you are doing and have you come back to see him/her.

I am a Board Certified Naturopath and have recommended Chromium and Vit B to my clients to detox from sugar. It takes about a week or so with minor discomfort (headaches) as you detox. It is the same type of detox as when someone stops drinking coffee (caffeine). The body is used to the caffeine stimulant and when you stop drinking the "caffeine drug" your body craves, it starts with a headache as a natural detoxification process.

Sorry you had to spend money on MRI.

Interesting you resurrected a 2 year old thread for your first post? You're not related to Buddy, by any chance are you? Haven't seen him around lately. :wink:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    from Dr Oz
    Sugary and fatty foods affect the pathways to the brain in the same way as heroin or cocaine

Does anyone have any facts / links to support this?
  • impartialbystander
    Options
    Bump.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know this is a really old thread but I started taking Chromium picolinate last week and it has really helped my sugar cravings. As my friends on here know I am a bit of a carb and sugar queen and I knew that 90g of jelly beans a day was doing me no favours. It has really helped to bring the cravings in check!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this; however, I do know that it is true fact that they are like an alcohol addiction. I love the program I am on because it has taught me the right way to eat which does not include any of these foods, therefore, I no longer crave them. Love having them out of my life!

THIS. It's so true. Food addiction has to be treated the same as any addiction in my book. Pasta used to be a huge issue for me and cutting it out almost completely has made such a difference in me and how I feel.
  • jls341
    jls341 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Bump for a later read...
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin B complex but not a chromium. The B is for energy, and I can tell when I don't take them. Not like I'm buzzing around like bee, but at least I don't feel sluggish. I have heard that chromium also is sometimes used for diabetes, I don't know the whole story on that, but I have heard it has been given to some diabetes patients.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Dr oz is promoting a different diet pill/supplement every month.

Ask your regular doctor if this could help you.

Dr oz is the same fellow who tells people not to eat foods with ingredients they can't pronounce and then tells them to go buy a diet pill they definitely can't pronounce. I don't trust him for this reason. Anybody promoting that many different pills is getting money for it somewhere and doesn't have your best interest at heart.
  • MrsLadybug22
    MrsLadybug22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised me to start taking both of them. I have only been taking them a few days now, and will see if it helps within a week from now. :indifferent:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin B complex but not a chromium. The B is for energy, and I can tell when I don't take them. Not like I'm buzzing around like bee, but at least I don't feel sluggish. I have heard that chromium also is sometimes used for diabetes, I don't know the whole story on that, but I have heard it has been given to some diabetes patients.

Yes, My endocrinologist recommended me taking Chromium supplement as I didn't want to take pharmaceutical drugs to merely control diabetes.

As part of the low carb plan the diabetes institute put me on I was taking B Complex vitamins, Chromium, Magnesium, GLA and ALA.
  • Semarshman
    Semarshman Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    This is a very interesting topic for me. I recently had a high A13 test that puts me in the "pre diabetes" range. I will retest in October and am doing everything I can to get my blood sugars under control by that time. I have purchased Chromium and B complex to help me with this plan. I eat pretty naturally with very few processed foods normally but I have a tendency to "treat" myself with ice cream or chocolate. I also struggle with eating too much bread. I hope this will help me to nix those bad habits and move in a healthier direction. Anyway, I took my first pill today and I will check back in and let you all know if I feel any difference in my cravings!
    Have a good one!
    Sarah
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So there was a Dr. Oz segment on GMA last week where he talked about sugar/junk food actually being an addiction like a drug. I COMPLETELY feel like that is true for me, so I took a portion of his advice, which was to start taking Vitamin B Complex and Chromium Picolinate, which are supposed to help "detox" you and break the cravings. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this. The rest of his advice included things like replacing all grains with broccoli/cauliflower for a week, but not sure I can do that.....vitamins, I can take!! Here's a link to his segment if anyone's interested:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/dr-mehmet-oz-beat-fat-sugar-addiction-detox/story?id=12823912

Lol at Dr wizard of Oz.
  • LadyAnglesey
    LadyAnglesey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump to join this thread. I just started taking Chromium Picolinate yesterday. But I also purchased GFT Chromium by mistake. So I have both on hand.
  • Semarshman
    Semarshman Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Just checking back in as a follow up. I started taking Chromium Picolinate on June 10th and said I'd be back to let you all know if I feel any effects. I am pre-diabetic and trying to get my A1C down by October. Well I have to say that Chromium Picolinate is AMAZING. All this time i thought I had really weak willpower and that I was just addicted to sugar. Now it is like I just don't feel like that any more. I am not running off to pick up fast food because I am "Sooooo hungry" I am not jumping at the chance to get Ice cream, just because the word comes up in conversation and I just feel "In Control" Apart from that I will also say that I track my workouts and I have been a lot more consistent with those too. Like I have more energy to get myself out of bed and too the gym in the morning.

I would not have thought that there would have been such a strong effect from taking Chromium Picolinate, but I guess I did not realize how affected by sugar I really was.
    Hope this helps someone else.
    Sarah