Protien Shakes!?

Options
I'm a 21 female around 138lbs atm! I really wanna get rid of the fat and turn it into muscle.. I've obviously heard a lot about protien shakes but do they really work and where can I buy them from (I'm from the UK) I just need some advice really, like what make to get, when to drink it and so on! Any hell would be great! Thanks in advance!

xox

Replies

• marekj1
    marekj1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Keete, I'm no expert on protein shakes but i can answer few things, like yes they really do work, I'am from UK too, South Yorkshire, Doncaster, in Doncaster we have few shops in town that sell protein shakes etc... You should have them too in your area, and best to ask them for good protein shakes.As for me, i drink it Before i go to gym, to gain strength and after gym to feed my muscles with proteins.

Thanks all, hope it helped :D
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just to point out the obvious, there's really no need to drink protein shakes if you are getting or can get real protein in your diet from actual food.

A serving of lean chicken or turkey with some veggies is probably a lot more nutritionally sound than just putting in some processed protein from a big plastic jug.

Lots of people use them and there's nothing wrong with them, just that drinking a shake will not add more muscles than eating some food with the same amount of protein and the food probably has other nutrients that the body enjoys having.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm in the North East of the UK! You can get protein shake powder from the large Tesco and Asda supermarkets, you can find it near the area where they sell vitamins and diet shakes like Slim Fast. Also if you have a Holland & Barrett in your area they sell protein shake powder too! They also sell ones made with soy for lactose intolerance. I don't drink them myself, but I've seen people use them as meal replacements, with some of my more muscular friends drinking them alongside meals (I think you already have to be packing a bit of muscle for that to help though). As segovm has said, eating really lean meats will also help you attain higher protein levels for muscle building rather than using shakes! ^_^
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    protein shakes will not turn fat into muscle. in fact, nothing turns fat into muscle. you reduce your body fat, and that'll show off your growing muscles. you do that my exercising and maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The best place to get them are from Holland & Barretts or Amazon (or if you have a sports/fitness shop near you).

For the best brands, there are some which are better than others for taste, mixability and contents. I think that the best whey to get at the moment is Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey. Comes in a lot of flavours, including chocolate and expanding on chocolate: double rich and other sweet flavours.

The mixability of ON 100% is very nice, no lumps or clumps so it's very nice. I think that the double rich chocolate flavour is the nicest, it tastes like those Nesquik instant milkshakes and it goes with stuff like oatmeal. But theres other stuff like vanilla.

Heres a link to it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Strawberry-Protein/dp/B000QSRO1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402761030&sr=8-1&keywords=Optimum+Nutrition+100%

There's different sizes, I'd recommend you get a small amount (no matter what whey) just to see what its like!