Very large calorie deficits through exercise

Options

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this week to do a very large exercise-based calorie deficit. Inspired by the (unrealistic - I know - yet hugely motivating) TV shows like The Biggest Loser. I have about 40 lb to lose and I have been working out daily for a about 3-4 months. I have toned up considerably but lost slowly (I was doing pretty intense weight training), about 10 lb with significant muscle gain. I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. (My usual was weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week) I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600), I am 5'4' and 175 pounds. I need to lose 30-40 lb and have dieted/exercised on and off for years. I used to be 130 lb until I gained weight about 7 years ago (I am 35 now). I burn about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this. I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route...

Hi there. Out of experience...wrong approach....wrong website to ask this question, too.... If you are this competitive with yourself, you will have to learn about the connection between training, and supplements and nutrition supporting the training effectively. You won't get those answers on MFP.
    Check out this link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    She will explain it very well. But even Jamie does not suggest a quick fix, because it's not sustainable. Take it slow and make it a lifestyle. It's a process, not a race. Just my thoughts on it...

Train safe, stay healthy!

Why is it the wrong website to ask?

Read her initial post again, and ask yourself why this thread has not been locked yet.
    The training program that is still safe enough for her energy level can't be found on here. Jamie's program will provide more competent guidance, so she understands, why her approach (under-eating or over-exercsising) will not give her (OP) the results she is looking for.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have been trying this week to do a very large exercise-based calorie deficit. Inspired by the (unrealistic - I know - yet hugely motivating) TV shows like The Biggest Loser. I have about 40 lb to lose and I have been working out daily for a about 3-4 months. I have toned up considerably but lost slowly (I was doing pretty intense weight training), about 10 lb with significant muscle gain. I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. (My usual was weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week) I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600), I am 5'4' and 175 pounds. I need to lose 30-40 lb and have dieted/exercised on and off for years. I used to be 130 lb until I gained weight about 7 years ago (I am 35 now). I burn about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this. I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route...

Hi there. Out of experience...wrong approach....wrong website to ask this question, too.... If you are this competitive with yourself, you will have to learn about the connection between training, and supplements and nutrition supporting the training effectively. You won't get those answers on MFP.
    Check out this link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html
    She will explain it very well. But even Jamie does not suggest a quick fix, because it's not sustainable. Take it slow and make it a lifestyle. It's a process, not a race. Just my thoughts on it...

Train safe, stay healthy!

Why is it the wrong website to ask?

Read her initial post again, and ask yourself why this thread has not been locked yet.

I assume it hasn't been locked because nobody had reported it. She isn't eating 200-500 calories - she is netting it, which I agree isn't good either but these types of threads don't tend to be treated the same.
  • h7463
    Options
    You caught me before finishing my post... see above.... =)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I do this. Well, not quite that extreme, but daily deficits well in excess of 1K cals despite being lean.

But then again, I also have the conditions:
    - I'm coming off a bulk, meaning been eating a surplus daily for 2+ months.
    - I do it for 2 weeks (at most), before ramping right back up to bulking.

The reason has to do with hormones and efficiency and whatnot. Muscle loss and metabolism loss isn't an issue at all for short duration cutting, no matter how intense. For short durations (2 weeks max) it is perfectly safe (if your starting point is at least long term maintenance if not bulking).

But this is not an approach for people that have been "losing weight". It is not an approach for people that haven't yet absolutely mastered their diet and exercise. But when the conditions are right, it is extremely efficient.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this.

This is not sustainable
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this.

This is not sustainable
    x2
    Good luck with that!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training. (My usual was weight training 4 x week plus cardio for about 40 mins 3-4 days a week) I eat quite a bit when I do more cardio, about 2000 calories (my usual is about 1500-1600), I burn about 1800 calories on exercise alone with the intense cardio, and my sedentary needs are 1850 calories. I have had about 200-500 total net calories per day on this. I just need a push to lose more weight, I can't do a very strict diet, Id rather exercise more since i am quite fit in spite of being overweight. My goal is to lose 3-4 lb per week. I know everyone will say "this is unhealthy" but I'd like to hear from people who might have gone this route...
    If I am reading this correctly you are saying you are burning 1800 calories a day doing 40 minutes of intense cardio? That is extremely unlikely. You don't burn that many calories doing the spin bike and the elliptical. It's more likely you are only burning a couple hundred calories and are not at all in the extreme deficit you think you are.
  • popbijoux
    popbijoux Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, you did not read correctly:
    I said:
    (this week)... "I have been doing 2 spinning classes + 1 hour at the elliptical this week and no weight training".

According to the myfitness app, that is about 1800 calories.

My BMR is about 1550, minimum calorie needs at a sedentary level (at which I am normally) is 1850.
  • popbijoux
    popbijoux Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In the end I think the app is overestimating the calorie expenditures, the deficit might not be as large.

The one thing I don't get is, since my minimum calorie intake is 1850 as sedentary, it means that I'll never be able to do a 1000 calorie deficit???? (2 lb/week) A 1000 calorie deficit obviously means I'd have to lower net calories down to 850 which is "too low".

If I follow this rationale then people who are significantly overweight will never lose weight????? It seems a bit off to me, to be honest.

I get the idea of this, but I still think there is something off. Obviously people who are thin eat less than that. Adriana Lima was working out 6 hours a day on heavy cardio to lose weight after pregnancy with a trainer and nutritionist, and I bet she wasn't eating that much (, not the equivalent of 6 hours of boxing-type of training. Same with people who go off to the "spa" or exercise all day hiking, skiing, etc…I mean how many calories is 6-8 hours a day of skiing?

I want to lose 6kg per month which is about 12lb. 3 lb per week. That does not seem like a lot to me, especially since I am clinically "overweight". 3lb/week is a 1500 daily deficit.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What are you using to base your caloric expenditure on - it sounds very high. Are you sure you are burning 1200 cals in gym? Good Luck with your goals I hope you find a balance.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    In the end I think the app is overestimating the calorie expenditures, the deficit might not be as large.

The one thing I don't get is, since my minimum calorie intake is 1850 as sedentary, it means that I'll never be able to do a 1000 calorie deficit???? (2 lb/week) A 1000 calorie deficit obviously means I'd have to lower net calories down to 850 which is "too low".

If I follow this rationale then people who are significantly overweight will never lose weight????? It seems a bit off to me, to be honest.

I get the idea of this, but I still think there is something off. Obviously people who are thin eat less than that. Adriana Lima was working out 6 hours a day on heavy cardio to lose weight after pregnancy with a trainer and nutritionist, and I bet she wasn't eating that much (, not the equivalent of 6 hours of boxing-type of training. Same with people who go off to the "spa" or exercise all day hiking, skiing, etc…I mean how many calories is 6-8 hours a day of skiing?

I want to lose 6kg per month which is about 12lb. 3 lb per week. That does not seem like a lot to me, especially since I am clinically "overweight". 3lb/week is a 1500 daily deficit.

The last part shows the problem with your line of thinking and why you keep trying to rationalize unhealthy actions. 3 lbs per week is a lot to lose in a healthy manner even for the obese ... they may start with big losses but those quickly trail off. But, you're an adult. You can choose to make an informed, healthy decision or you can do whatever the hell you want and risk damaging your body.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You're right…you know what, I realize this was triggered when I met up with a thinner friend last week who lost weight very quickly (18 lb in 2 months) and chastisized me for eating a burger (I had burned 1200 calories that day goddamn!) "since you are dieting". I had told her it was within my calorie range and she was like "when I lost the weight I did I starved a bit and had a very strict diet. "you could lose a lot more if you were stricter about it".

Your friend is both a jerk and an idiot and you need to find more knowledgeable and more supportive friends.

Your plan of netting 500 calories a day is terrible, but even your first post admits this.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    workout.jpg

you are on the fast track to destroying your hormones, losing muscle mass, and creating a mentally inappropriate disorder about food/body image/exercise. stop.

1 pound a week lost is the max you should be shooting for.

th?id=HN.608018999651862222&pid=1.7
  • h7463
    Options

MFP is notoriously bad for overestimating calories. Get a HRM, and keep a detailed workout log. While the HRM might not be as accurate for some training either, at least you will get an idea about your workout intensity and consistency.
    Low net calories can happen for anyone, granted, but in my case, I don't try to make a habit out of it. And while I'm not planning any of those days, if they come, I still try not to ruin it with excess eating, I rather save those calories for the inevitable 'hungry day of the week'.
    Example for one of my lucky days: in the morning 1 1/2 hour with a weed eater mowing of hillside, knee-high grass, 400 calories; in the afternoon 2 hours of hard work in the hayfield, 1100 calories. I only managed to eat 1700 calories... Next 2 days, sore as hell.... In that week, my net calories came out at about 1000, with overall 3500 under goal, without even planning on it. But guess what...I didn't lose a single pound. My body fat is currently at about 17%, and my body is only giving some up with a fight.
    You on the other hand, should trust the process. Keep up with tracking your food ( be honest about it, use a food scale...), keep your food intake reasonable, and keep the exercise volume moderate, but the intensity high. Your body will burn calories when it's healing, too. But you have to give it some rest on occasion, or it will hang on to every (fat) pound of resources it has, regardless how many cardio sessions you log.
    Good luck!
  • rosiepott
    rosiepott Posts: 7
    Options
    80% of loosing weight is diet, what you eat, 20 % is excersize... I would rather excersize as well, but it wasnt until I watched my sugar, fat and caloric intake that things changed significantly. Not what you wanted to hear, but def. the truth...
  • rosiepott
    rosiepott Posts: 7
    Options
    I am 154 pounds, do 1 hour cycling, and 40 minutes weight training 4 times a week, and loose less than 1 pound a week... I'm on a 1200 cal. def.... Does this put things into perspective? do your cardio and weight training... Dont try to loos too quickly.. it will nip you in the *kitten* later...
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    ETA: no need for a "very strict diet". Do a moderate deficit and moderate exercise. It'll come off slower but your results will be more sustainable.

This
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar problem. I now have a lot of free time and love to go on 4+ hours hikes, burning 1000 kcal and more. The problem is two fold as I am 1. not able to eat so many calories 2. especially because hiking shrinks my appetite.

I don't really know what to do, I want this weight loss to be sustainable, but I also want to go on my long hikes. :/