Will I go into starvation mode???

Options
What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - -
Hey guys! Ok- so my question basically center around starvation mode, and fasting. So- i'm Muslim, and fasting is a very important part of my religion. Lately- it's been stressing me out, because Ramadan is approaching, and I want to loose weight- and not be put into a starvation mode coma. I also want to be able to drink at least 8 glasses of water ( have a lot of health problems for lack of water ) , but i'm sure that when it's time to break my fast- I can consume a good number of glasses of water?... but I don't know... I just don't want to pig out- or go into starvation mode just because I didn't consume enough calories. I know that Ramadan still has many days left until it starts - but i'm so fussy about it- that I just can't even eat right now. I feel like I need to shed off as much as I can, and I can't even look at food, and I keep exercising too much. I also have plans of working out during Ramadan- but doing soft stuff- like walking outside at a slow 2.0 pace for 2 hours ( I break it up into little 60 minute chunks ), and not stressing myself out too much if i'm not consuming much. I've also had some people tell me starvation mode is not real- and that it shouldn't matter- but i've also have had people complain to me that during Ramadan they fell into starvation mode.
I honestly don't know what to do...

Replies

• Redribbon73
    Redribbon73 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi

I too will be fasting and this will be my first Ramadan when I will be watching what I eat. What I plan to do is eat healthy nutritious foods at dusk and water too and the same at dawn.

I don't think you should stress too much about Ramadan as it's only for a month and after a few days I am sure you will work out the best way for yourself regards diet.

Ramadan is not about stressing so just enjoy this month and eat well balanced meals and take your walks when you can. I don't think I can do any exercise during Ramadan but we will see. I think if you do too much and not eat enough then you could go into starvation lode but o am new to all this so don't really know much about it to advise. All the best
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can eat and drink when the sun has set, and if you have health problems you are excused. I should think that also applies if Ramadan brings health problems. You won't go into starvation mode because of Ramadan.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You get to eat at night correct? Well many people do intermittent fasting and are just fine. I used to do it myself when very busy and never once had any trouble. You just get your calories in during the period of time you're allowed to eat. No problems.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Relax first of all. You are stressing over something that has been happening for a long time, way before your time, and will probably still happen way after your time. It's going to happen whether you want it to or not and if you are stressing so much over it it's going to be a bad experience. You're doing this for religious reasons and IMO you should be focusing on the reasons behind why you are fasting for your religion and not so much on the reasons why you are stressing out. It's good that you posted your questions up where you could possibly get some helpful answers but RELAX.

IMO I agree with getting your calories in during the time you are allowed to eat. It doesn't matter when you get your calories in during the day, there is no magic time to eat that will help you lose weight so fasting during the day won't do you harm. Fasting doesn't mean you have to be under your calories for the day it just means that between this hour and this hour you aren't eating and if you aren't eating to lower your calorie intake then again just try to get your calories in the times that you can eat. It will probably be hard at first but once you figure out what works for you then you will be fine, Don't worry. Just remember it's OKAY to feel a little bit hungry just remind yourself that by the time dusk rolls around you'll be able to eat a good meal! It's not like you aren't going to eat that day at all.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read the papers, and see how many fatalities there are, as a result to Ramadan?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Did it stress you out other years? Or is it only this year because you are dieting?

Eat your cals in the morning/night and you'll be fine.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should read the papers, and see how many fatalities there are, as a result to Ramadan?
    If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

From what I understand, if you are temporarily ill during Ramadan you may make up the fast (a day for a day) at a later point when you're well. Or if you have a permanent condition, you can make a donation in charity instead of fasting.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a great thread written last year that might help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038039-ramadan-fasting-mfp-and-you-a-guide?hl=Ramadan
  • PeopleChange
    Options
    by STARVE - I meant " STARVATION MODE " .. :/ it's just that I often don't usually take enough calories as it is- and this is the first i've ever started dieting along with fasting. Second of all- due to a lot of medical problems i've had in the past- I remember missing a whole month of fasting- so this almost feels as if it's my first time fasting all together again, and the only memory of it that I have are fried food - and the temptation.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    You should be fine. There are intermittent fasters who lose weight eating only once a day, often in the evening. There are people who lose weight successfully not eating at all for 36 hour periods. They do alternate day fasting or 5:2, with two days being little or no food.
  • PeopleChange
    Options
    Up to 900- to 700 a day :C I usually try to go for 1200 - but yeah. It just feels hard to accomplish for me, because I get full at 700
  • Chloeshade
    Chloeshade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If starvation mode is a thing that actually exists, I'm pretty sure you'd be in it from only eating 700 calories a day. It's really not enough.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. Every day during this month, Muslims around the world spend the daylight hours in a complete fast.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - -- - -
    Hey guys! Ok- so my question basically center around starvation mode, and fasting. So- i'm Muslim, and fasting is a very important part of my religion. Lately- it's been stressing me out, because Ramadan is approaching, and I want to loose weight- and not be put into a starvation mode coma. I also want to be able to drink at least 8 glasses of water ( have a lot of health problems for lack of water ) , but i'm sure that when it's time to break my fast- I can consume a good number of glasses of water?... but I don't know... I just don't want to pig out- or go into starvation mode just because I didn't consume enough calories. I know that Ramadan still has many days left until it starts - but i'm so fussy about it- that I just can't even eat right now. I feel like I need to shed off as much as I can, and I can't even look at food, and I keep exercising too much. I also have plans of working out during Ramadan- but doing soft stuff- like walking outside at a slow 2.0 pace for 2 hours ( I break it up into little 60 minute chunks ), and not stressing myself out too much if i'm not consuming much. I've also had some people tell me starvation mode is not real- and that it shouldn't matter- but i've also have had people complain to me that during Ramadan they fell into starvation mode.
    I honestly don't know what to do...

"starvation mode" is a myth for the most part. It happens when your body begins to break down muscle for glucose to fuel your body. That happens usually after weeks of total starvation - meaning NO food. Your fats have been totally burned off. Fasting is not bad for you. Your body will switch into ketosis and burn fat for energy instead of carbs.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If starvation mode is a thing that actually exists, I'm pretty sure you'd be in it from only eating 700 calories a day. It's really not enough.

actually no. People conflate this all the time. As I said above, you would need to be literally receving no caloric intake for weeks before you went into "starvation mode" and reduced caloric intake doesn't count. Our bodies were meant to go for short periods of time without fuel. Hence the efficient fat storage system. We can break down fats into energy (ketoisis) and use them instead of carbs. Proteins can also suffice for energy.

Eating 700 a day would not put you in starvation mode.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    Up to 900- to 700 a day :C I usually try to go for 1200 - but yeah. It just feels hard to accomplish for me, because I get full at 700

Yeah- no you don't. Unless you eat 700 calories in on meal. Or you weigh 70 lbs. How could you feel "full" after eating 700 cals in a day? Just, no.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Do you weigh & measure 100% of what goes in to your mouth?
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The best advice that you can be given right now is not to let something imaginary (i.e. god) dictate something as important as your physical well-being. YOU are real, your health is real. This should come first. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of fasting during the day, the answer is not to figure out a more healthy way to do it. The answer is not to do it. Let's get to the root of the problem.