Eff Your Beauty Standards....?

Options

Replies

• scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think plus size model Tess Munster is a huge advocate for "Eff your beauty Standards". I am pretty sure she may even of started the movement. She is gorgeous and I love her attitude. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, no one is perfect, embrace your imperfections, love yourself for who you are, and love those around you for who they are....that is what the movement is about. As far as I know from following her page, she isn't promoting or encouraging obesity.

This. Size 0 was not always the standard and I personally believe curves are beautiful. I also believe that what a person looks like, what they eat, what they wear and how they choose to live their life is their own business. Not mine or anybody else's. If you don't like the way you look, change it. If you don't like the way somebody else looks, don't look. I'm sure each of us has our own families and friends (or, at the very least our own selves) to be concerned about without worrying about some stranger on the street. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, sure, but having an opinion on something doesn't make it your business.
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Words every one needs to live by:

I choose

..to live by choice, not by change;
    to make changes, not excuses;
    to be motivated, not manipulated;
    to be useful, not used;
    to excel, not compete;
    choose self esteem, not self pity.

Choose to listen to your inner voice, not the random opinions of others.

Sounds like good advice! Btw, GinandJuice75, great job on weight lost! You look fabulous!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much!
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just saying shaming people wont make them want to lose weight at all.
    Who said that was the motive for shaming people?

So what other reason do people put other people down about their weight?
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The movement isn't about embracing obesity. Its primary focus is to foster a healthy self and body image. I think that being healthy and taking care of one's body, and mind are important. I do, however, think that western society perpetuates an ideal of beauty that is unattainable for a large number of the population. I love that Tess is out there encouraging curvy gals and women to be comfortable in their own skin. Beauty comes in different shapes and sizes. I know curvy gals and slim gals that are beautiful inside and out.

Why do you feel it is unattainable for most of the population?

Some things, like large breasts, are unattainable outside of cosmetic surgery. And not everyone can have a great *kitten*, pecs, etc from simple genetics. But if you're suggesting that not everyone can attain and maintain a healthy body weight, then I completely disagree with you.

The point that I am making here is that beauty comes in different shapes and sizes. You and I can agree to disagree. I already stated that striving towards health is important. I understand the need for a movement like Tess'. No one should be shamed or made to feel less than merely because of how they look.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The movement isn't about embracing obesity. Its primary focus is to foster a healthy self and body image. I think that being healthy and taking care of one's body, and mind are important. I do, however, think that western society perpetuates an ideal of beauty that is unattainable for a large number of the population. I love that Tess is out there encouraging curvy gals and women to be comfortable in their own skin. Beauty comes in different shapes and sizes. I know curvy gals and slim gals that are beautiful inside and out.

Why do you feel it is unattainable for most of the population?

Some things, like large breasts, are unattainable outside of cosmetic surgery. And not everyone can have a great *kitten*, pecs, etc from simple genetics. But if you're suggesting that not everyone can attain and maintain a healthy body weight, then I completely disagree with you.

The point that I am making here is that beauty comes in different shapes and sizes. You and I can agree to disagree. I already stated that striving towards health is important. I understand the need for a movement like Tess'. No one should be shamed or made to feel less than merely because of how they look.

I agree that no one should be made to feel bad about the way that they look. But if you are saying that a healthy bodyweight is unattainable for for most of the population, you are very very mistaken.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It is true that you are the only one who will change yourself. At my highest weight I was 263 and just absolutely hated myself. But if someone convinced me that it was acceptable to be that way I might have never convinced myself that I needed to change. I'm still technically quite obese and a size 16. I'm not ashamed, but I know it is not healthy to be this way. I guess that's all a personal opinion though.

As far as i comprehend it, the movement is not about physical health, and is more so about mental health. It merely dictates that you are worth of love, respect, and self-care, regardless of your size and regardless of whether or not you are currently trying to change your habits.

While there are obviously a few detrimental side effects when it comes to being obese, there are also detrimental effects when it comes to loathing yourself, which is what this movement is trying to combat. They're not glorifying obesity, and merely spreading the message that being any size at any time is okay, if that's where you are. It's basically based in the idea of mindfulness: accepting the present, as it is, for what it is. If anything, if you want for somebody to start making positive changes in terms of their food intake/exercise habits/etc., teaching them self love that is NOT conditional is the best way to do it.

Personally, I came to find that i didn't take control of my eating and exercise until i started to love myself, as opposed to loathe myself. When I loathed myself, i lost weight by engaging in unhealthy and dangerous eating habits, merely to morph my body into something more acceptable, according to these standards that you're talking about. When I started to love myself as opposed to only striving for a certain size/appearance, i started to actually take care of my health, because i began to see that i was worthy of such.

That's how i personally view the size acceptance movement, and i do understand that there are many variations of this movement, that actually do glorify obesity. Personally, i view those who glorify obesity to be no better or worse than those who glorify emaciated models: they're both glorifying bodies, which is the problem. The people whom preach self-acceptance are the ones i identify with: the ones that say it is entirely up to us whether or not we individually choose to pursue health, but that regardless we should be mentally healthy by trying to radically accept our bodies as they are.

I personally always say that we should work on both our physical and mental health, by accepting/respecting/loving-ourselves, and using healthy habits (in terms of food/exercise) as a way of showing that. However, i understand some people have a hard time with the second of those - especially those struggling with ed's that may include binging - in which case it's understandable they pursue self-acceptance before making drastic dietary changes.
  • hbinfinity
    hbinfinity Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to see more about how loving your body means helping yourself get and stay healthy.

I understand the idea that just because you don't look like a model doesn't mean you aren't beautiful. Before I gained a lot of weight, I was pretty attractive, but not at all in a typical way. I'm 6'1", I was super strong and had a lot of muscle, I was very curvy without being overweight, I wasn't thin, but I was fit, I have very wide set eyes and a somewhat round face. I really didn't feel the need to be short and thin with perfect cheek bones and perfect hair etc. I looked like an amazon, not exactly a knick knack. I didn't grow up with TV or movies or pop culture magazines and all that so I wasn't really self conscious about my body. I liked my body and didn't see a problem even though society at large might have. So I can see why this movement is valuable to women who might have some real self loathing for reasons like "I'm not a size 2, I'm a size 10" or "I'm too tall" or "I'm too short" or "my face is weird" or "my breasts aren't the right size" issues.

Now I'm about 60-70 lbs overweight and it feels awful, but not because of society's pressure to be this cute little woman, but because I know that this isn't good for me and I just don't look like myself. I like my personality a lot, I'm not ugly, I tend to be hard on myself about my goals academically and with work, but I don't hate myself. I'd say I'm a lovable person, but I don't love my body right now; I hate it and I hate that people won't just let me hate it. I just want to hate my body! What is wrong with that?! I have good reason to hate it! That being said, I'm working on it and I've lost some weight and have experienced a great increase in the quality of my life because I'm getting healthier, but I don't love my body and I don't need to. What I need is to loose weight!

I wouldn't appreciate anyone else's judgements about my body being awful right now. I would expect people to just leave me alone about it because it isn't their business. That being said, men seem to pick up on my left and right esp. lately so it can't be all terrible and that does help my feelings about my body sometimes. Sometimes it is just obnoxious. So,I guess society's beauty standards are obviously garbage if I'm heavier than I have been in my life and men still find me attractive, but I'm still not happy with my body because I know it's current state is bad.

So, yeah, loving your body and saying "eff you" to societal pressures we feel to be something other than what we are, I get it. I've just had to do that being tall and muscular and looking the way I have, but it hasn't been the struggle for me that it has been for other women just because I didn't grow up with any pop culture garbage. Being much heavier than I'm comfortable being and not being able to fit into my old clothes and just noticing I am not nearly as agile as I used to be? That has messed me up bad and I just gotta be strong on the inside and loose the weight. I don't want to stay this fat, so I don't really see the point of loving being overweight.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Remember back when cultivating kid's self-esteem was supposed to turn them into the love-children of Grigori Perelman and Dennis Rodman because clearly the correlation between achievements and self-esteem meant the latter caused the former? That's kind of how I feel about "fat acceptance" movements.

I'm all in favour of people feeling good about themselves - and wearing whatever they want - but you can't BS yourself or others into liking your body... and you most definitely can't BS your health into improving.

If someone doesn't mind being obese that's no business of mine, nor is it any business of mine what he or she chooses to wear, and I generally don't see the point of shaming people. Being dishonest about obesity's effect on health, self-image and attractiveness, however, is borderline enabling.
  • TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think plus size model Tess Munster is a huge advocate for "Eff your beauty Standards". I am pretty sure she may even of started the movement. She is gorgeous and I love her attitude. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, no one is perfect, embrace your imperfections, love yourself for who you are, and love those around you for who they are....that is what the movement is about. As far as I know from following her page, she isn't promoting or encouraging obesity.

I have a rather warped perspective I should admit. In my adult life I have never been a "normal" weight and I've felt like a failure for it. I did not fully understand her movement, but it seemed to encourage not caring about being overweight. I apologize for not understanding fully. I couldn't really find anything about it other than what a friend had spoken about on Facebook and the photos on instagram.

I just feel like our society is moving into an acceptance of being unhealthy. I am still unhealthy and obese myself.

No need to apologize. :smile: I feel like the misinterpretation of the "Eff your beauty standards" movement comes from the fact that the founder is indeed obese. Therefore, some assume without reading further or researching more, that she is encouraging being overweight/obesity. I can see how easy it would be to do.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We are all on a high horse at some point or another.

Oh. I see. How inclusive. How progressive. Funny how you didn't include this insightful comment when you originally posted your innocent little GIF addressed to no one in particular.

:laugh:

My horse rolled his ankle and is now too injured to gallop me away from this thread. He called me a fatty and bit my face.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If someone doesn't mind being obese that's no business of mine, nor is it any business of mine what he or she chooses to wear, and I generally don't see the point of shaming people. Being dishonest about obesity's effect on health, self-image and attractiveness, however, is borderline enabling.

I agree with this 2,000%. As long as we love ourselves and aren't in denial about the reality of our health/our bodies, who are we to shame others?
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Here's the simple truth. If you are fat and happy, be fat and happy. If you are fat and unhappy and you think that being fat is what has made you unhappy.. then do something about it. You know what should be socially acceptable? Minding your own damned business rather than forcing your ideals, your beliefs, your viewpoints on those around you.

Note: I am using YOU in a generalized fashion, not targeting anyone in this thread.

My 2 cents, which when adjusted for inflation are pretty much worthless. :drinker: Have a great weekend!
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    How do you go from we shouldn't accept obesity because it's unhealthy to trying to tell other other people why they should wear?

The best advise for all people to recognize that nobody is prefect, that the media has disordered what people look like -- so be kind to yourselves, treat your body well -- take care, basically. This should take up enough of your time that you don't pay mind to what anyone else is doing. If you have time to worry other women in binikis, your focus is off.

Took the words right out of my mouth, though you wrote it more eloquently than I would have. I was all on board with everything OP wrote until she began policing what women "should" wear. Aside from that, I agree.

And the above advice is great.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Well even when he was 300 he still had no health problems. But as i stated yes it will probably catch up to him. Being a person who weighed 300lbs before i just think its funny how people look down upon us because of being bigger. Heck you can weight half that weight and be unhealthy.

I lost all my weight yet now i have back troubles. Might it happened if i stayed bigger probably, did it happen cause i carried all that extra weight 30plus years perhaps i will never know.

Just saying shaming people wont make them want to lose weight at all. Least it didnt me. Took myself and something clicking in my brain to realize how bad i was. Not here to argue just here to offer my opinion is all.

Unfortunately, health problems don't present in a way that is always obvious or symptomatic. And there are some 100 yo smokers, just like there are some 300 lb people who appear in good health for many years.

Back problems are a completely different issue and frankly your back problems may actually BE from the excess weight, but showed up more through time: degeneration of the bones is a long process, and the damage done from previous years at 300lbs can actually still be seen on xrays years later after all the excess weight is gone, you still can see excess strain on the skeleton, as well as malnutrition periods, etc many times for life. Likewise you can usually pick out who has had a motor vehicle injury in the spine on xray even if there are no symptoms...all in all, just because you are not carrying 300lbs now, it does not mean that this is not a result of the excess weight.

I am not attacking you, I just find it highly ironic the example you think is proof of health problems caused at a "normal weight", has a high probability of at least being initiated when one is obese, and can be the primary cause of the problem. Of course you CAN have this type of problem without being obese and I dont know your circumstances or anything, even a 98lb person can have back problems yes...just 300lbs is a very large risk factor for developing spinal degeneration leading to back problems later. This is somewhat similar to a smoker saying "my slow growing tumor happened after I stopped smoking a year ago, so its not from smoking"...well...it is likely its actually from the smoking, although yes, it may not be too... Again I'm not pretending to know your specific condition or diagnose you or say anything about YOU, I am merely pointing out the example you used is an example of the opposite of what you think it means in most cases -- that is a health problem that can commonly be a result of years of past increased weight (even if you currently are at a great weight)! :)

Shaming is yet another topic, but I don't think OP is talking about shaming, I completely agree with the first part, not the second part after the "tldr" dictating what one should wear part. If you are taught that you are "fine no matter what size you are, embrace your curves, fat is beautiful", I'd worry about how many people this would kill some of their incentive to try to lose weight and get healthy. Many times looking better is one of the main things that keeps someone going on the path to weight loss. I think it would be great if its all about health, but for many I know its not.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to be fat, how's it bothering you?

I am over 200 lb and healthy aside from my Hashimoto's, which caused my weight gain and inability to lose for years.

What about those skinny people that eat like ****? They shouldn't love themselves because they're unhealthy? I know thin people who are worse off than me.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Some people who are obese can be healthy.

The favored line of the obesity promoters. Healthy for a year or two, yes. There is NO avoiding long term damage from obesity. period. Just think of the extra strain on the heart. This is unavoidable.

Go to any given obesity acceptance site. There will be hundreds of people claiming they are healthy and use some absurd rationale. Would be interesting to check back with them in 20 years and see the result of the behavior. I doubt it'd be pretty.

But embracing mediocrity is easy. Much harder to make a change.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In the modern day self-esteem has been placed over EVERYTHING else in importance, fat acceptance is just part of that. This is, IMO, one of the major problems that we have as a society, because it breeds people unwilling and unable to accept criticism.

Mr. Rogers-style "You're special and I like you just the way you are" statements are important for children finding their identity, but should not be the ONLY feedback they get.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    TL:DR I read the first page and wish I had time to read more.

Basically, I agree with OP.

If you want to be obese and wave the flag that you're healthy (for now, while it lasts) than do so.

But don't be surprised when society doesn't accept that or chooses to ostracize that.

I've been on all ends of the health spectrum, under weight, normal, healthy, over weight, obese and morbidly obese.

I'm well aware that the reason I became morbidly obese is from eating and drinking copious, copious, copious amounts and sloth like habits.

I know the reason I went from morbidly obese, to obese, to over weight (and well be in the healthy range soon!) is because I got grip on my diet and added physical activity to my life.

Sure, there are "exceptions", someone with true medical issues that cause them not lose, but that is the exception, not the rule that the pro-fat movement makes it out to be.
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Some people who are obese can be healthy.

Please explain this...

My mother 5'2, 200 pounds. She's obese, she has been for 30 years. Her blood work is perfect, is on no medication. She works a very physically demanding job and keeps up just fine with people half her age -- the woman barely gets head colds. She is totally healthy.

Is she at a higher risk for disease? Yes. But that doesn't make one "unhealthy". If that were true, people with a higher genetic predisposition for say breast cancer, were less healthy than those with a lower generic risk. Health is a complex concept.

So by that reasoning, the obese person with good blood markers is only ever "unhealthy" during the few seconds of their heart attack. The previous 50 years of their life were adequately "healthy".

Right.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think these "movements" as you suggest aren't about accepting the fact that they're fat...it's accepting themselves and learning to love themselves regardless of the fact that they are overweight/obese. From there, it's a lot easier to make those necessary changes and really change your life around.

IMHO, way too many people have numerous deep seeded issues going on and do not love themselves at all, but they think that if they lose weight that will solve all their problems...and it won't.