Starting weight training...

Options
Hi everyone, I've been using MFP on and off since 2012. I am roughly at the size I want to be but continuously give up because I can't tone the stubborn fat around my midsection.

From talking to others and doing general research I've decided to start weight training. I'm ready to start Alwyn's workout from The New Rules of Lifting for Women...

Anyone who's done the workout or just interested in following my progress feel free to add me as a friend :smile:

Any extra support would be fantastic :heart:

Replies

• jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've just bought the book, so I'll be starting it too. I plan to keep running 3-4 days a week though, so hopefully I won't be too tired and sore!

Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi. Replies on your newsfeed since we are friends. I want to do similar.
  • julia2178
    julia2178 Posts: 5
    Options
    Try High Intensity Interval Training to help lose the belly fat. For ex: sprint on treadmill or outside for 30 sec then walk or jog for 1min repeat 5-7 times.
  • julia2178
    julia2178 Posts: 5
    Options
    Weight training will help but you have to burn the fat thats over the muscles
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I liked New Rules for the into but I found the program a bit convoluted. I liked Starting Strength and/or Stronglifts programs better for just starting out.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

<---- I hardly did any cardio to get that abdomen.

Eating at a deficit and lifting "melts fat" too.
  • tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

<---- I hardly did any cardio to get that abdomen.

Eating at a deficit and lifting "melts fat" too.

That's what i was hoping for! I love yoga, and don't mind light exercise, but i despise excessive cardio. I'm at 125lbs and i still have handfuls of fat on my belly :( Hmm I'll see how 120lbs looks
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I love NROLFW and recently completed it, now I'm doing Stronglifts. Lifting heavy is the one thing that's made the most difference to my midsection. I only run once a week now, and that's if I can even be bothered lol
  • Papakevgo934
    Papakevgo934 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you, my wife is now on phase 3 of that program and she is seeing huge benefits. She has lost 30lbs so far. She also incorporates cardio with it to help burn the fat, but the weight training will tone your body.