When overweight is it best to lift heavy or light?

Options
Im currently on my last level of les mills pump, I love this workout, but I have a question for those who lifted weights when they started there journey and still do now, do you find it better to lean out with just lighter weights on your barbel, for instance instead of squatting 15lbs on each side, squatting less weight with maybe 5 or 10. I carry alot of weight in my legs and as I was doing the program my leg strength was getting stronger that I was able to put more weight(15 on each side) but I decided maybe since I carry alot of weight in my lower half and I am 5'2 it would be better for me to squat lighter. Now im not one of those people who are 'afraid of going heavy because ill "bulk" I just want to concentrate on weight loss first leaning out then maybe building some more muscle. You cant see the muscle anyway if your bodyfat/weight is high. So im going to give this a try, what do you guys think and what have your experiences with weight training been when you were 20lbs or more overweight?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I know there's a bunch of links floating around about lifting. But one suggestion I remember getting when I asked about lifting was starting light. If it's your first time lifting/in a while, you don't want to start off heavy. Ease your body into it, and gradually increase the weight as you advance. That's what I'll be doing at least!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You've already did 'pump' so that would be light - are you happy with the results from that? I'd class light weigh, high reps as more endurance/cardio.

Try going heavy and see if you like the results. Remember 'heavy' is what's heavy for you.

I prefer heavy but that's me. What are your goals? - you won't build or maintain muscle with light weights but that might not be what you're going for. What you enjoy is what you'll be more inclined to stick to.
  • Ashley6278
    Ashley6278 Posts: 46
    Options
    You've already did 'pump' so that would be light - are you happy with the results from that? I'd class light weigh, high reps as more endurance/cardio.

Try going heavy and see if you like the results. Remember 'heavy' is what's heavy for you.

I prefer heavy but that's me. What are your goals? - you won't build or maintain muscle with light weights but that might not be what you're going for. What you enjoy is what you'll be more inclined to stick to.
    I love les mills pump! and the results have been pretty decent, I have seen a difference in my body compostion it is really starting to change shape. I do like lifting heavier because I know my body can take it, my goal was more leaning out and losing weight since i still have 20lbs to go.
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    I know there's a bunch of links floating around about lifting. But one suggestion I remember getting when I asked about lifting was starting light. If it's your first time lifting/in a while, you don't want to start off heavy. Ease your body into it, and gradually increase the weight as you advance. That's what I'll be doing at least!

Ive been on the lifting program for about 3 months, so I know my body can handle more weight, I just wasn't sure if I should since I want to more focus on leaning out then building muscle.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Ive been on the lifting program for about 3 months, so I know my body can handle more weight, I just wasn't sure if I should since I want to more focus on leaning out then building muscle.

If you're eating at a calorie deficit, you should lift as heavy as you can within your desired rep range. Lifting heavy weights (heavy means heavy for YOU) will help you preserve lean body mass as you lose weight. There's no reason in the world to wait until you lose weight to start lifting heavy. Start now...start yesterday!! ;)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to lift heavy now.

Muscle is hard to build. Lifting heavy while you lose insures you retain most of the muscle you already have.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The answer is ALWAYS heavy. :wink:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy now and always. Lean muscle without the bodybuilder pump.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you like both, do both :). There's a lot to be said for working in different rep ranges. The lighter, high rep stuff helps endurance and going heavier, with lower reps, while at deficit, will build strength.

It's your calorie deficit that'll lean you out.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

If you're eating at a calorie deficit, you should lift as heavy as you can within your desired rep range. Lifting heavy weights (heavy means heavy for YOU) will help you preserve lean body mass as you lose weight. There's no reason in the world to wait until you lose weight to start lifting heavy. Start now...start yesterday!! ;)

^^^^^ THIS x 100
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Yes! Oh and, by lifting more weight for the same reps means improvement, more total volume, more work, and more Energy expenditure! More calories burned!
  • Ashley6278
    Options
    Heavy it is then!
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would say lift heavy for you (this will be different for all of us) ensuring you keep correct form so as not to injure yourself :) I do body pump as well as my other lifting you can always do that in addition to some heavier lifting if you enjoy it :)