Do you count marinades?BBQ sauces?

Options
I haven't been counting marinades or bbq sauce... to me the amount on the chicken is not worth trying to figure out and count...

What do you all do?

TIA:)

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Those "hidden" calories really do add up over time. If you're making a "big" recipe, measure the total (say, 1/4 cup, or 100g or however it's measured). Then if you eat 1/4 of the recipe, you enter in 1/4 of whatever that measure is. I haven't used it yet, since I eat "plainly", but MFP has a recipe tab in the food diary, where you can enter in all your ingredients for the whole recipe, then create a serving size, based on your entries. Very helpful for multi-ingredient recipes.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half. I.e., if the marinade is one cup, I'll log it as half a cup. (And then also divide it by the number of servings. So if there are four pieces of chicken, that would be one-eighth cup marinade per piece.)
  • crashj
    crashj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "If tomatoes are technically a fruit, is ketchup technically a smoothie?"

I smoke and grill quite a lot so I count them on chicken, burgers, ribs. Even if it's a tablespoon or two on a piece of chicken, since it's mostly brown sugar it's important to get the macros logged for it. Same thing applies with ketchup too.

Happy grilling :)
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    yeah you need to log that ish. Just give it a good ol' guesstimate. Estimating it is better than just ignoring it :)