Timing for exercises??

Options
Hey peeps,
I don't really fancy getting up in the morning to do exercise so I've been doing it in the afternoons. 6 days a week. Only cardio stuff at the moment but I want to add in some weights. I was thinking of doing this in the mornings but I wasn't sure if that's good or if it matters when??

So currently my workouts go:

PM - Mon: Rest Day Tues: 45min walk Wed: C25K (on wk 2 atm) Thurs: 45min walk Fri:C25K Sat: 45min walk Sun:C25K

I want to add on top of this:

AM - Tues: Weights Thurs: Weights Sat: Weights

Would this be an OK addition? Help this newbie out please?

Kaz :wink:

Replies

• segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Just my personal experience from when I was healthier in my twenties but cardio was WAY more fun in the morning than weights.

Cardio woke me up, got the blood moving, you sort of ran into consciousness as it were.

Weightlifting just hurt. Everything about it hurt. I just didn't do it until after I was wide awake and moving.

I hear tell everyone is different though so maybe you are the opposite.

Everyone will likely disagree with me but cardio really doesn't require a "rest day" unless you happen to still be getting sore from it as might be the case with c25k. Weightlifting clearly does require rest days between muscle groups.

The only real point of consideration is that you probably don't want to do leg exercises after running. You can do running after legs, just not as much fun and likely not as effective if you run and then do heavy leg lifts.

Hope you find a routine that works out for you!
  • Kazzam33
    Kazzam33 Posts: 210
    Options
    Just my personal experience from when I was healthier in my twenties but cardio was WAY more fun in the morning than weights.

Cardio woke me up, got the blood moving, you sort of ran into consciousness as it were.

Weightlifting just hurt. Everything about it hurt. I just didn't do it until after I was wide awake and moving.

Everyone will likely disagree with me but cardio really doesn't require a "rest day" unless you happen to still be getting sore from it as might be the case with c25k. Weightlifting clearly does require rest days between muscle groups.

The only real point of consideration is that you probably don't want to do leg exercises after running. You can do running after legs, just not as much fun and likely not as effective if you run and then do heavy leg lifts.

I'm a big sleeper. Must get my 8-9 hours & I'm not a morning person at all which is why I wanted to just do the 3 mornings rather than swapping out my 6 cardios for am's & my 3 weights for pm's. Just lazy.

'Rest Day' is the name I use for Mondays. Its not that I really need a rest as such I just hate Mondays so to avoid going 'Postal' on my co-workers I just take a break from all my 'chores' so to speak. :wink:
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    Bump.

Really, does no one have any other comments??
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I prefer cardio in the morning, weights when I get home from work.

Cardio I'm happy to do fasted, with breakfast after.

Now my lifts are getting heavier I struggle to lift well fasted, which means I need breakfast first, then I need to wait about an hour before I can workout, so I'd need to get up around 4.30 am to get it all in before work, which isn't going to happen.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for your schedule.
  • Kazzam33
    Options

Now my lifts are getting heavier I struggle to lift well fasted, which means I need breakfast first, then I need to wait about an hour before I can workout, so I'd need to get up around 4.30 am to get it all in before work, which isn't going to happen.

Ok, thanks.

So I suppose then that I can just do it whenever then as long as I feel ok when I'm doing it.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options

So I suppose then that I can just do it whenever then as long as I feel ok when I'm doing it.

^^THIS - listen to your own body and what works best for you at what time. I'm a morning person, and I train fasted, which I prefer, so at 6am, I'm at it lifting weights and have plenty of strength....but not everyone's bodies revv up the same...try it out for a week or two, try switching to cardio in the ams, and weights in the pms. Just doing it is the best decision all around, regardless of time.

:smile:
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love my sleep .... but have found that unless I drag my butt out of bed and do it first thing, I'll find an excuse not to exercise.

For me, I hit the gym 3 times a week at 06:30 before work for 60-80 mins and will do mostly cardio (treadmill). Weekends will include an outdoor 5-8km run on a Saturday.

This week though, it has been lovely sunny weather so I've missed the gym and gone outdoor running at 5am on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Exercise is then done and out of the way and it helps me for the rest of the day knowing the effort I've put into the burn before I might be tempted to reach for something crappy to eat .... ;-)
  • sofiachohdary
    Options

This. I do cycling around 5:30 in morning. Wakes me up, feel refreshed, and it's not as "hard-working' as weight lifting.

So I leave my weight-lifting and yoga for later during the day, whenever I find some time. And if I don't, at least I'm happy that I did my cardio early in the morning, so I don't have to worry about exercise if it's a stressful day.
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess the general consensus is do what feels right for you. I'm in a good routine with my cardio & I don't really want to interrupt that so I will give weights in the am a whirl for a start. If that doesn't work then I will look at shifting a few things around to accommodate the lifting in the pm.

Kaz :flowerforyou:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > I guess the general consensus is do what feels right for you.

To a point. It's real easy to lie to yourself about what 'feels right'. To get good results, you have to accept that some discomfort will occur. Working out is not the same as sitting on the couch.
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    > I guess the general consensus is do what feels right for you.

To a point. It's real easy to lie to yourself about what 'feels right'. To get good results, you have to accept that some discomfort will occur. Working out is not the same as sitting on the couch.

I get that its going to hurt. The 6 days of cardio a week that I do hurt. I need more hurt because the hurt is what's gotten 15kgs off my fat a** in the last 18 weeks. I plan for there to be much more pain & I plan for there to be many more Kg's abandoning me because of that pain. I know the deal. I'm in no way blissfully unaware, hoping for some miracle; I never thought this would be easy.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've got news for you. Nobody "really fancies" the idea of getting up early in the morning to work out. It's not fun. But thousands of us do it because it's the best way to get it in in every day, so we just suck it up and do it. Once you make it a habit it becomes somewhat less of a chore. You just have to stick with it, as in all things health-related.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio at all times of the day. That being said, I found evenings were the most "least hated" time for me.

I lift weights fasted (I just have coffee before...actually, usually I'm drinking it in the gym) so I do my weight lifting in the early morning, like 6 or 7am.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. When I'm training for triathlon, I know I need a day a week off from my cardio, particularly when I'm doing doubles.

Walking isn't really going to be needing a rest day, and I don't think C25k will require one after the 3rd week or so.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm an early riser and would love to exercise in the morning, but my gym has classes I like mostly at noon and in the evening (except for spin). So I've decided to do a 30DS DVD first thing in the morning at home and add it on to my current schedule.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!! :) The timing of your cardio and lifting sessions doesn't matter enough to be consequential. Just do whatever it takes to get it done. And congrats for all the great changes you've already made!!!

**On a personal note, I've done both...weights in the morning/cardio in the afternoon, and recently I've been doing it the exact opposite. The only difference I notice is that I'm a bit stronger when I lift in the afternoon, but I make progress either way.

**Edited to add: I'd be willing to bet that after the first few weeks of forcing yourself to workout in the morning, you'll actually start looking forward to it. It's the BEST way to wake up, and it feels great to start your day in such a positive way. The first few weeks will be tough, but you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Kazzam33
    Options
    Hey girl!! :) The timing of your cardio and lifting sessions doesn't matter enough to be consequential. Just do whatever it takes to get it done. And congrats for all the great changes you've already made!!!

**On a personal note, I've done both...weights in the morning/cardio in the afternoon, and recently I've been doing it the exact opposite. The only difference I notice is that I'm a bit stronger when I lift in the afternoon, but I make progress either way.

**Edited to add: I'd be willing to bet that after the first few weeks of forcing yourself to workout in the morning, you'll actually start looking forward to it. It's the BEST way to wake up, and it feels great to start your day in such a positive way. The first few weeks will be tough, but you can do it! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for your reply!
    All I really wanted to know was if it would be damaging in any way to be doing weights in the morning rather than in the arvo so your reply answers that perfectly.

I probably will get a lot more Zen with morning workouts in the future as you said but in the meantime I'm just trying to do as much as I can as often as I can.

Appreciate your help :flowerforyou: