Weight coming off too slowly.

Options
Hi, I have only lost 2lbs in 2 months.

I have connected Myfitness pal together with Fitbit tracker.

Now ON PAPER I should be losing 1Lb a week . I eat a balanced diet and keep within about 1500 calories a day (food minus exercise) which is minus 3500 calories a week.

I leave fitbit on during waking hours to track every move.

Any help appreciated!

Replies

• momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food correctly? Drinking enough water? Your diary is not open so I can't tell what you are eating/drinking. 1500 calories seems awful low to me too...

I have a Fitbit, used it for about 6 months and now stopped using it, I must say it did help me get moving at first but now I'm on a pretty good routine and found it just became a glorified pedometer for me as I started running more.

That's great that you leave it on to track every movement but are you moving more than usual?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.

Read this link for more information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    According to your profile you have 5 lbs to lose. You probably want more body recomposition than actual weight loss. Try lifting heavy. Find a compound lifting program such as Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Don't have access to heavy weights, look into convict conditioning.
  • andyjazz123
    Options
    Hi, I have unlocked my diary for you to look at... I probably over eat 300 cal a day in hidden calories ... milk in tea etc . I need to lose about 2 stone but my goal is to get to 12 st 7 lb first..thx for the replies.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I probably over eat 300 cal a day in hidden calories ... milk in tea etc .

Well that's @ least 2100 calories a week...Those calories HAVE TO BE LOGGED.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I probably over eat 300 cal a day in hidden calories ... milk in tea etc .

Well that's @ least 2100 calories a week...Those calories HAVE TO BE LOGGED.

Yup...this...

Here are some links that can help...

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • andyjazz123
    Options
    Cheers all , I didn't log fruit or milk in tea and coffee so it must be that that is causing the excess calories. Weird that I have to log every little thing .
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    keep within about 1500 calories a day (food minus exercise) which is minus 3500 calories a week.

What does (food minus exercise) mean?

You can get away with not logging everything if you lower your goal numbers to account for all the stuff you don't log. That's how WW's points works. They don't log fruit and vegetables but the stuff they do log only allows them a lower total to account for those. If you want to eat around 1500/day and not log fruit and milk, figure maybe 400/day is going unlogged and log up to only 1100. Make sense? Probably easier to just log it all and get a feel for the totals, for now.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    try 1 pound loss in 5 month like your truly here:brokenheart: ...2 lb/2 month is still progress...
  • albayin
    Options
    keep within about 1500 calories a day (food minus exercise) which is minus 3500 calories a week.

What does (food minus exercise) mean?

You can get away with not logging everything if you lower your goal numbers to account for all the stuff you don't log. That's how WW's points works. They don't log fruit and vegetables but the stuff they do log only allows them a lower total to account for those. If you want to eat around 1500/day and not log fruit and milk, figure maybe 400/day is going unlogged and log up to only 1100. Make sense? Probably easier to just log it all and get a feel for the totals, for now.

hey, I have been wondering how weight watcher works...it seems a good method for many who might not be able to keep consistency with logging, like myself...
  • albayin
    Options
    yeah...I have been logging protein, fat and other more solid stuff but leave out small bites and veggies...and I always leave teh exercise calories out of the equation. This gives me more room for errors.

From the number, I don't meet my everyday goal but I know I do...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Log everything, including hidden calories and make sure you aren't over counting how many calories you burn :flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Cheers all , I didn't log fruit or milk in tea and coffee so it must be that that is causing the excess calories. Weird that I have to log every little thing .

I log every little thing and about half my calories every day come from fruit and veggies. If I didn't log fruit and veggies, I would have to set my calorie limit at 600 calories a day. As someone else mentioned, a similar concept to weight watchers
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    2 pounds in too months is lower than most but not the end of the word.

Are you measuring all your food? Are you logging everything? If you aren't thats where your downfall is.

don't get discouraged, I have lost 1.2 pounds since January and I am doing everything right (and yes before the naysayers happen... I really have even my 3 doctors are stumped) at least its not a gain of 2 pounds.
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Much of the equipment that measures calories burned during exercise greatly over estimates the number of calories you are burning.
    My Polar heart rate monitor is calibrated for me so it is accurate and when I compare its measurements to other equipment (including map my fitness it is usually 1/2 to 2/3 of the total measured by the other equipment
  • karen7856
    karen7856 Posts: 4
    Options
    Could you have a thyroid problem?
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There are usually two reasons for this:

1) inaccurate logging

Make sure to weigh or at least measure your food. You could be eating more than you think.

2) eating back too many of the exercise calories

Do not eat back more than half of the exercise calories because there tends to be an overestimation in calories burned and an underestimation in calories eaten. It's better to burn more than you think and have a good weigh-in day than to eat back all the calories and lose less than you thought you would have.
  • andyjazz123
    Options
    By food minus exercise I mean that I have a fibit step tracker connected to MFP. So if I eat 2000 cal and exercise 500 cal it shows as 1500 cal for the day in MFP.

I must admit that I am surprised by the results as I had thought that before this I was really stuffing myself with food....it certainly seemed like it , I must have just been slightly overeating and stopping . I have even not had beer or wine for about 10 weeks now!!

Thx, for all help :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    So you're logging 2000 in intake and having milk and fruit unlogged on top of it? It sounds like it's just too much.

500 calories is a pretty big Fitbit adjustment. How high are your steps for that, usually?

It is surprising how much less it can feel like you're eating. I know the body does get less active overall in subtle ways so we burn less when we're dieting, usually. So when we eat at a higher deficit, our non-exercise activity is also higher.