Hard to be "good" anymore

Options

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Once you learn to make 'good' things taste like 'bad' things it becomes way easier. For example, this morning I made red velvet pancakes. Sounds kind of bad right? But it wasn't bad at all, I use a high protein organic pancake mix, add in red velvet flavored protein powder, an egg, and top it with calorie free pancake syrup. Was very GOOD in every way. ;)

There's lots of good things you can make that taste really awesome that are actually good for you. Once I learned to do that, it's been pretty easy to lose weight and easy to maintain because I don't crave anything. I just make very tasty alternatives to junk.
    I'm familiar with that, I made fries taste "bad"
    Having a hard time with sweets tho
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Most of the stuff I'm talking about tastes like desserts though. Mix protein powder with fat free greek yogurt and top with lite whipped cream = tastes like chocolate mousse. I make protein cakes and stuff all the time too. Going to attempt a healthy cheesecake either tonight or tomorrow too.
  • missylectro
    Options

Most of the stuff I'm talking about tastes like desserts though. Mix protein powder with fat free greek yogurt and top with lite whipped cream = tastes like chocolate mousse. I make protein cakes and stuff all the time too. Going to attempt a healthy cheesecake either tonight or tomorrow too.
    Oh awesome! I'll add you and you can keep me posted on the recipes
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    OP keep in mind that everybody's definition of "moderation" is not the same. Be real with yourself and do what actually works for you.

I am not a "2 oreos a night" guy. People who brag that they have single-servings of their favorite treats everyday are living on Mars as far as I'm concerned. If I'm going to have ice cream, or oreos, I've gotten to the point of giving myself the freedom to eat as much as I want, without any guilt, shame, or condemnation. Then once I'm finished I move on. It means having a pack of oreos every once in awhile instead of a single serving several times a week. But it works for me. The "half a cup of ice cream a night" ain't cutting it for me, and I'd be a fool to waste my time trying to acclimate to other people's definition of "moderation".

It took me a very, very long time to get to this point though.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Oh awesome! I'll add you and you can keep me posted on the recipes

A healthy cheesecake? Red velvet pancakes? Dude, I'm adding you too!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you need to change your mindset about it all. "Being good"; "bad foods", "cheating"... imo this is what is sabotaging your efforts. Try not to think in such black & white, all or nothing terms. And, when I say "try", I mean that you need to learn how to think differently, and it takes practice. You have a classic dieter's mentality where you are oscillating between being "good" and "naughty", or "on the wagon" and "off the wagon".

Foods aren't inherently "bad"; food is food. Some food has more calcium than others, some has more fibre, some is more energy dense... it's about finding a way to balance your intake so that you're giving your body the nutrients it needs, along with the right amount of energy, and at the same time, you are able to enjoy the food you eat. You're not "bad" for eating food that you enjoy. You're just very normal.
    I want to add... It feels so good to binge, it gives me this sort of satisfaction, but it's mixed with guilt...
    This is also very normal. You need to find out what psychological needs you're meeting by binging. For some people it's about feeling the freedom or empowerment of eating what you want to eat, a kind of "F you" to the part of your brain that is saying you can only eat x, y and z. Some people feel like they're in control when they restrict their eating, some feel in control when they eat what they want to eat, in whatever quantities they choose. If you can pin down why the binge eating feels good, that can help you change it.

A lot of people feel that pull to rebel against a diet - any diet where you're restricting yourself at all. It's very common for people to start cutting calories, or restricting certain food items, and immediately wanting to eat more, or to eat the forbidden fruit. This is why being overly restrictive doesn't work, particularly for people who already have an unhealthy relationship with food. There are no easy answers when you struggle with food as much as you clearly do, but it's key to try to let go of the black & white thinking, to forgive yourself when you do overeat, and to try to build a lifestyle that feels as little as possible like you're "on a diet". If you constantly feel like you're denying yourself, punishing yourself even (which is what it sounds like) then it's not going to be a lifestyle you can sustain for years.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to approach the same problem as you OP. I have lost 71lb's in a little under 5 months. And while I found it easy at first I really miss being able to say ... eat a whole bowl of walnuts. Or a big bowl of ice cream. I have managed to resist binging or even going over my calorie limit so far. But it has been getting harder and harder and the weight loss has been slowing down.

I am considering doing a "mini bulk" It's an invention totally my own and I am going to see how well it does for me. If I decide to do it then one month I am going to eat at a significant calorie surplus still eating mostly healthy and go max volume and intensity on the strength training and weight lifting. My rationale behind this is that my body and mind has been on low calories for so long it is simply exhausted by it. So I'm going to give it what it wants. While giving it somewhere productive to spend the calories. That way any weight gain I make during this month will hopefully be significantly composed of lean mass.

I would be interested to know what people think of this idea?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    passion is more powerful than cravings

you dont want the loss bad enough
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. It's psychological for me. I lose weight and then I think, "That wasn't too bad. I can lose this weight again, easy." Part of it, for me, is that I ate whatever I wanted as a kid. I never learned portion control or how to eat healthy, but I stayed pretty thin. It's only been since my 20's when my metabolism started to slow down that I've had to make healthy choices (make choices period). I want to be able to eat that way again, so I rebel. I keep reminding myself that I'm a grown up now. My choices have consequences. Its tough! :frown:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    passion is more powerful than cravings

you dont want the loss bad enough
    Disordered eating patterns tend to be a bit more complicated than just not wanting it enough.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I like binging too. Why not wait till 6 pm to eat (or just have something light for lunch) and then at dinner eat all the rest if your calories (but stay within your goal). Then you will get that full feeling but not overeat. I have been waiting longer in the day to eat and it's been working for me
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing to learn is moderation of foods that we used to binge on.
    The most important thing to learn is moderation of foods we used to binge on.

Everything about this process is a choice. It was easy for me to make excuses for way too many years. Time wasted. Make up your mind what you want and then work hard to get it. You will not be perfect. You will have bad minutes - they do not have to turn into hours or days.

Learning the lesson of moderation is the ONLY way to be successful in the long run. Good luck in your choices.

tumblr_lulee68oYD1qen8lt.jpg
  • hulietta
    hulietta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is a long video, but might be worth watching for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFuOEA0oKWY
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log my binges when I have them. I log the alcohol I drink when I have it. And you have to be 100% honest with it.
    I struggle with binge eating and I have - my whole life. But logging it helps me see how many calories I am actually consuming - and before anyone jumps down my throat saying - it isn't about calories it is about macros - I don't know what that is - so it is a foreign language to me.

But at the same time - if I want ice cream - i have ice cream. If i want peanut butter and a piece of chocolate - I have it. I don't let my body go without (Except chips - i love chips so much - I used to eat an entire bag or 2 in one sitting).

I am finding myself slacking a little bit (especially on alcohol. I LOVE beer) now that I've lost this much - but you just have to keep reminding yourself - that the battle isn't over yet.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with this poster. For "chips", slice veggies very thin, a light spray coating of olive oil, a little salt, and in a dehydrator or oven, and you can make no guilt "veggie chips". Gives you the crunch and salt of chips without the calories. Lets face it, real chips really don't have much taste other than the salt and crunch.....so replace it with something else. There are a lot of "tricks" on the internet, on how to replace bad for good...do some research on how to replace the things you are eating for better, no guilt versions.

Once you learn to make 'good' things taste like 'bad' things it becomes way easier. For example, this morning I made red velvet pancakes. Sounds kind of bad right? But it wasn't bad at all, I use a high protein organic pancake mix, add in red velvet flavored protein powder, an egg, and top it with calorie free pancake syrup. Was very GOOD in every way. ;)

There's lots of good things you can make that taste really awesome that are actually good for you. Once I learned to do that, it's been pretty easy to lose weight and easy to maintain because I don't crave anything. I just make very tasty alternatives to junk.
    [/quote]
  • blushpeonies
    Options

healthy cheesecake?? I'm adding you too!
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options

What is this word moderation?

I cannot have peanut butter for example in moderation, I feel like eating more than one tablespoon

My solution to this is powerdered peanutbutter. Seriously, google PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter. It's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. It's a freakin' life saver for me.
  • blushpeonies
    Options
    Yes, I agree with this poster. For "chips", slice veggies very thin, a light spray coating of olive oil, a little salt, and in a dehydrator or oven, and you can make no guilt "veggie chips". Gives you the crunch and salt of chips without the calories. Lets face it, real chips really don't have much taste other than the salt and crunch.....so replace it with something else. There are a lot of "tricks" on the internet, on how to replace bad for good...do some research on how to replace the things you are eating for better, no guilt versions.

[/quote]

oh this is awesome. I LOVE RED VELVET!!! What kind of protein do you use? I have the problem that I am lactose intolerant & most whey isolate protein powders REALLY mess with my stomach and I'm sick the rest of the day.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This was happening to me after a short vacation. I just lost a bit of the momentum I had the first few months. Rather than give up altogether, I decided I'd be happier losing half a pound per week and eating a little more. I'd rather be losing slowly than heading in the wrong direction again. Also, oddly, I started dropping a pound a week again when I added more food. It must be the nice weather that is making me more active!

Edited to add: I also motivate myself by setting small goals and rewarding myself when I reach them. Every five pounds, I go out for my personal kryptonite: French fries with aioli. :)
  • missylectro
    Options
    I'm beginning to approach the same problem as you OP. I have lost 71lb's in a little under 5 months. And while I found it easy at first I really miss being able to say ... eat a whole bowl of walnuts. Or a big bowl of ice cream. I have managed to resist binging or even going over my calorie limit so far. But it has been getting harder and harder and the weight loss has been slowing down.

I am considering doing a "mini bulk" It's an invention totally my own and I am going to see how well it does for me. If I decide to do it then one month I am going to eat at a significant calorie surplus still eating mostly healthy and go max volume and intensity on the strength training and weight lifting. My rationale behind this is that my body and mind has been on low calories for so long it is simply exhausted by it. So I'm going to give it what it wants. While giving it somewhere productive to spend the calories. That way any weight gain I make during this month will hopefully be significantly composed of lean mass.

I would be interested to know what people think of this idea?
    HEYYYY! That's what I was going to do in Mexico where they had a gym... It's a great idea!