1st week and no weight loss!

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I have just stepped on the scales after my first week of MFP and have put on a pound! Why? I have been keeping to 1340 a day and have been walking every day.... What do i need to do to start dropping some weight???

I have got 100lb to lose and just want to get rid of it now!

All help would be appreciated.

You have to be a dead honest about counting your calories as you can possibly be.

The number ONE primer on "why am I not losing weight" is right here and worth the read: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I would read that weekly and make sure you are following that blogger's excellent advice. Turn that one week gain of a pound around to a 1-2 pound per week loss ASAP!

All the best.
  • 1sgs
    1sgs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend to take in plenty of water, count your calories very accurately (use a digital food scale), don't trust all of the numbers that you see on the back of cans, etc. I have scanned barcodes on some of my food and the barcode not have the same information displayed as is on the back of the can. Several times I open a can that says "five servings" and there only be three, etc. etc. Weigh in at the same time every day/week. Use an accurate scale, or at least the same scale.
    There are several articles on MFP to guide you, also your MFP family  ! Don't get discouraged. Your body is trying to figure out what you are up to. Stay strong for the long haul!
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great advise by everyone. I really cant add much other than log log log your only cheating yoursef. I love MFP!!! Its helped me feel more empowered . I know where my calories are. I know how much protein I need with the nutritional breakdown.

Only other 2 things I can say is use this forum dont forget it. Also, look at your intake and watch out on all those refined sugars and sodas. Water water water. It sounds corny but after I stopped drinking sodas cold water tastes so refreshing and if you want to jazz it up drop a few lemon wedges in it but dont forget to log it all. If you dont know your weights n measurements one thing that alwayshelped me was "gallon man".....wish I knew that when I was a kid...would have made it easier remembering.

I just looked at your diary. What percentages are you trying for? I eat 60 protein/20 fat/20 carb and it works for me now.what types of carbs are you eating? I would maybe ask yourself these questions. Dont be afraid if you fall off the wagon either....just get back up on it. Remember to log.

Good luck my friend.
  • Suzieqgirl
    Suzieqgirl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Try going off all grains for about two weeks. This will help lower your insulin level. My doctor put me on this and I have lost 10 pounds in the past 12 days. The reason, I went on the grain free diet is, the inflammation levels in my body ware to high and I also had diverticulitis. So far the diverticulitis is much better and I'm 10 pounds lighter.

Oh by the way, I don't eat potatoes or any kind of sugar. I do not use artificial sweetener either. I also went off dairy milk and use almond milk. I know this is a very hard diet at first, but after a week, you lose all the craving of sugar and wheat products. I myself can not eat a little of the sugar and grains, because if I do, I will be back into craving them again.

I am not saying to stay of the grain, sugar & dairy free diet for ever, just try it for two weeks and see how it goes.

Hang in there and best to you, on your weight loss.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Try going off all grains for about two weeks. This will help lower your insulin level. My doctor put me on this and I have lost 10 pounds in the past 12 days. The reason, I went on the grain free diet is, the inflammation levels in my body ware to high and I also had diverticulitis. So far the diverticulitis is much better and I'm 10 pounds lighter.

Oh by the way, I don't eat potatoes or any kind of sugar. I do not use artificial sweetener either. I also went off dairy milk and use almond milk. I know this is a very hard diet at first, but after a week, you lose all the craving of sugar and wheat products. I myself can not eat a little of the sugar and grains, because if I do, I will be back into craving them again.

I am not saying to stay of the grain, sugar & dairy free diet for ever, just try it for two weeks and see how it goes.

Not necessary and for most people not sustainable for the long run. I do eat potatoes, sugar, use artificial sweeteners, and pretty much everything else listed and I've lost a little weight. No need to cut out anything unless you have a medical condition, just need to learn portion control, moderation, accurate logging and have patience
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Not necessary and for most people not sustainable for the long run. I do eat potatoes, sugar, use artificial sweeteners, and pretty much everything else listed and I've lost a little weight. No need to cut out anything unless you have a medical condition, just need to learn portion control, moderation, accurate logging and have patience

Agreed, medical condition aside weight loss comes down to sustaining a calorie deficit period.... You do not have to give up any foods to get there.... You may have to rid the house of trigger foods until such a time that you can introduce them back into your eating plan in moderation but certainly no foods should be considered good or bad based on there merit.. Some may be more nutritious than other but don't have to be excluded all together...
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    your question: What do I need to do to start dropping weight?!

BE PATIENT! Eat at a caloric deficit and there is literally NO WAY you will not lose weight. Don't rush things, Rome wasn't built in a day!
  • buzzardsrule
    buzzardsrule Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your food? That is the first place I would suggest you start if not.. Alot of us at some point on this journey had the hard realization that we was eating more than we thought we were. What is your height/weight/age? Need alittle bit more info to be able to establish some of answer to the question your asking..... :-)

This is crucial. I was adding a new recipe this morning with slightly different ingredients and realised I'd forgotten to include a baby avocado in my original recipe which increased the calories by 200 calories! No wonder I was gaining and losing the same 2 pounds for a few weeks.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The one thing that bothers me about mfp is the food database, don't believe 90% of the numbers. I end up always double checking against other sources. The reason I mention this is the clover spread. If it has 140g of fat it is impossible to be 0 calories. Each gram of fat is 7 calories that would mean everytime you eat the spread you are eating 980 calories. Don't know what is right, but if you pick an item from the database with 0 calories it is wrong.
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

I have just stepped on the scales after my first week of MFP and have put on a pound! Why? I have been keeping to 1340 a day and have been walking every day.... What do i need to do to start dropping some weight???

I have got 100lb to lose and just want to get rid of it now!

All help would be appreciated.

You have to be a dead honest about counting your calories as you can possibly be.

The number ONE primer on "why am I not losing weight" is right here and worth the read: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I would read that weekly and make sure you are following that blogger's excellent advice. Turn that one week gain of a pound around to a 1-2 pound per week loss ASAP!

All the best.

This. Thanks for the article. It is great and dead on. I do have to argue the medical piece at the end though. Having my thryoid go hyper due to thyroiditis a couple months ago, I lost 10 pounds in about one week because my metabolism was out of control. this is very rare however, and mostly when the scale is not reacting the way we think it is one of two things.

Not counting calories / exercise correctly. (exercise rarely creates the caloric deficit that we think it does)

Water weight.

Stick at it, refine your tracking and start slow. You definetly did not put on 100 pounds quickly and it won't come off quickly. It is a process, but in the end, well worth it :)
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As stated, get a scale for your food. Log every bite accurately. If you go over on a day that is okay it is better to know that than cheat on your logging.

Surround yourself with as many positive and supportive people on here as you can because when you want to give up they will pull you through. There will be times you question why or is it worth it and your MFPs will be there for you.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think the weighing and measuring of you food is off.
  • josiehawkins2014
    Options
    I have been dieting and exercising since febuary,i have lost 20lb so far,then the last few weeks I haven't lost weight....whats going wrong I thought,the lady who weighs me at the gym looked at the slip of pare and said your fat mass is actually going down,its turning into muscle.dont always look at the stones and pounds on a scale,look at the fat % too,its just as important!
  • NigheanBan
    NigheanBan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice from lots of fab folks - one thing which helps though is not to get too hung up or feel down about not loosing weight.... there will be times on this journey that the scales will not move, or indeed they may move in the wrong direction (especially with ladies) but the inches/centimetres will still be dropping. So my wee tip is to record all you statistics, not just your weight :-)
    Oh and keep chatting on here, it's always a boost when you know someone else knows exactly what you are going through .....Good Luck!!!! :-)
  • dorisopen9
    dorisopen9 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above posters that the logging has room for improvement. I noticed for example that yesterday's food diary stops with breakfast.
    Then the Clover butter (for the non-UK readers: Clover is a spreadable butter).
    Also Oats So Simple: yes, 186 kcal in a pack. But you have to add milk to make it unless you are trying to get the dry powder down your throat.
    A "basic salad" for 60 kcal? That would be a third of a green pepper then, no dressing.

It is just small mistakes and omissions, but they add up and by the end of the day you have eaten 500 kcal more than you think.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you read anything today read this, it is quite helpful and makes sense.
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    Hi, for breakfast, you should eat more protein (30g) and cut down on the carbs. Also each meal should never have more than 30g of protein per serving as you body will only use the 30g and the other 24g is wasted as i saw in the last lunch you logged in. Having 30g of protein will help you cut down on your portion size. An average size chicken breast is about 30g of protein. You also need to find out what your protein factor is but i cant tell you where to find it as i will get blocked for promoting a company. So like i said, start with a high protein breakfast and also cut down you carbs and sodium intake, eat more fibre (vegetables) too as it will help you go yo the toilet more often and keep your belly nice and flat. I hope it helps.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hi, for breakfast, you should eat more protein (30g) and cut down on the carbs. Also each meal should never have more than 30g of protein per serving as you body will only use the 30g and the other 24g is wasted as i saw in the last lunch you logged in. Having 30g of protein will help you cut down on your portion size. An average size chicken breast is about 30g of protein. You also need to find out what your protein factor is but i cant tell you where to find it as i will get blocked for promoting a company. So like i said, start with a high protein breakfast and also cut down you carbs and sodium intake, eat more fibre (vegetables) too as it will help you go yo the toilet more often and keep your belly nice and flat. I hope it helps.

Please provide evidence (scholarly evidence, not something you found on Wikipedia), that shows that the body will only use 30g of protein per meal. Please tell me how the human body can distinguish when it can digest only 30g a meal, and what constitutes a meal time.

Also, you're toe-ing on a very thin line of trying to promote Herbalife again; I can tell by your comment saying that you will be blocked for promoting a company.

Stop promoting misinformation to members. Stop trying to promote Herbalife. And stop trying to say you're a fitness instructor, when clearly you aren't.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Please provide evidence (scholarly evidence, not something you found on Wikipedia), that shows that the body will only use 30g of protein per meal. Please tell me how the human body can distinguish when it can digest only 30g a meal, and what constitutes a meal time.

Also, you're toe-ing on a very thin line of trying to promote Herbalife again; I can tell by your comment saying that you will be blocked for promoting a company.

Stop promoting misinformation to members. Stop trying to promote Herbalife. And stop trying to say you're a fitness instructor, when clearly you aren't.

OhNoYouDidnt1.gif
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You should cite some references to back up your advice on protein intake.

It is difficult to take your advice seriously since...

...you prescribe to somatotypes,

Stated one of your clients lost "latest one lost an amazing 18kg in one months."

As an instructor you've been "doing a challenge where for 6months i ate as much junk food as possible so i could get my body in the worst shape possible, then in 6weeks i needed to cut the weight to prove to people that the thing i was doing works perfectly fine. In 7days i lost 6.4 kg"

The list goes on, just need to read your post history to see misinformation and unsafe weight-loss advice/techniques.:huh: